PDA

View Full Version : Help Please - San Juan, Pueto Rico

TheDuckRocks
01-29-2015, 10:27 AM
Hi, all. We have just booked a cruise from NYC to Canada and New England and then the Caribbean ending in San Juan. Before flying home we would like to spend a night or two there so we can look around. My question is has any of you stayed there and if so what hotel did you stay in and would you recommend it to others? Thank for any info you can share.

DizneyRox
01-29-2015, 01:45 PM
We couldn't get out of Puerto Rico fast enough quite honestly... And from then on, cruises that stop in PR, it counts as an "At Sea" day and any cruise that starts or end on the island doesn't even exist.

Loved the trip up the Atlantic to Canada though. Would do that again in a heartbeat!

vicster
01-29-2015, 01:47 PM
We couldn't get out of Puerto Rico fast enough quite honestly... And from then on, cruises that stop in PR, it counts as an "At Sea" day and any cruise that starts or end on the island doesn't even exist.

That's how I feel about Jamaica

SBETigg
01-29-2015, 01:51 PM
We had a great stay at a Marriott in San Juan. There are two, right on the beach, just a few doors down from each other. We loved it there. They have lovely pools, and lawn chairs right on the beach, a beach bar. They will wait on you in the beach chairs, bring you food, drinks, whatever. We had an excellent stay. Beautiful beach. We even saw whales playing in the distance. We stayed at the Stellaris location, but the Concha Renaissance looked very nice, too. Great service, good people, a salsa band in the bar at night. They offered a number of excursions, sight-seeing or diving and other sports. It was relaxing, but also lively and fun if that's what we wanted.

DizneyRox
01-29-2015, 03:37 PM
That's how I feel about Jamaica
Yeah, there's no Western Caribbean either..

BrerGnat
01-29-2015, 04:11 PM
We had a great stay at a Marriott in San Juan. There are two, right on the beach, just a few doors down from each other. We loved it there. They have lovely pools, and lawn chairs right on the beach, a beach bar. They will wait on you in the beach chairs, bring you food, drinks, whatever. We had an excellent stay. Beautiful beach. We even saw whales playing in the distance. We stayed at the Stellaris location, but the Concha Renaissance looked very nice, too. Great service, good people, a salsa band in the bar at night. They offered a number of excursions, sight-seeing or diving and other sports. It was relaxing, but also lively and fun if that's what we wanted.

My husband and I (both Puerto Rican ourselves) stayed at the Marriott Stellaris on Sherri's recommendation! It was great. I think we might try La Concha next time as we visited and it was quite nice as well! We got a wonderful rate at the Marriott though that I could not pass up! Book early, is my advice.

In general, I recommend you stay in the Condado area. It is a nicer area and has lots of great restaurants you can walk to plus access to Old San Juan is a 15 min cab ride away.

Puerto Rico has a lot to offer. I suggest the El Yunque rainforest tour if you like outdoorsy stuff. A visit to both historic forts in Old San Juan is a must as well.

mamatedd
01-29-2015, 09:59 PM
We had a lovely stay at the Ritz Carlton, San Juan, last August. The pool, ocean, staff, and restaurants were all excellent. We visited the forts during the day- a short cab ride away. Have fun!

TheDuckRocks
01-30-2015, 10:23 AM
Loved the trip up the Atlantic to Canada though. Would do that again in a heartbeat!

That is why we signed on for this cruise. We have done the Canada one before and it was the best cruise ever. We wanted more days than the 7 for Canada and wanted some time to just kick back and relax, when we saw the next sailing on the same ship that included a lot of "At Sea" days we were sold. Only problem is that it starts docking in San Juan in 2016 instead of returning to NYC as it has in the past. Sadly we have too much on our plate this year to be taking another trip.

awaggett
01-30-2015, 04:17 PM
We've stayed at La Concha twice (it is a Marriott/Renaissance)--it is an awesome resort--very beautiful, great restaurants and pools! This is in the Condado Area previously mentioned--great area. Definitely check out the Ben and Jerry's on the plaza--one of the best breakfasts ever!

I'll second the rain forest--El Yunque. There are also very cool food stalls near there if you are adventurous--Luquillo.

NJGIRL
01-30-2015, 06:29 PM
I have been waiting to do the New England/Canada cruise for a long time now. I am so jealous.

TheDuckRocks
01-31-2015, 11:01 AM
Definitely check out the Ben and Jerry's on the plaza--one of the best breakfasts ever!

Ice cream for breakfast, now we're talkin'!

Thank you all for the advice this really clears up a lot of my questions about San Juan.

JanetMegan
02-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Oddly we stayed at La Concha last fall (on the Saturday right around Halloween). We had a room that faced the street and there was VERY loud music ALL night long. As in zero sleep, people yelling, we even saw some inappropriate behavior outside our window.

I will say if you have the time there is a WONDERFUL Segway tour group down there very near the port area. It was a great tour and even included entrance into the fort. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Ya'll are cracking me up about Jamaica, we leave for there tomorrow.

BrerGnat
02-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Oddly we stayed at La Concha last fall (on the Saturday right around Halloween). We had a room that faced the street and there was VERY loud music ALL night long. As in zero sleep, people yelling, we even saw some inappropriate behavior outside our window.

I will say if you have the time there is a WONDERFUL Segway tour group down there very near the port area. It was a great tour and even included entrance into the fort. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Ya'll are cracking me up about Jamaica, we leave for there tomorrow.

There are a lot of nightclubs along that main road in Condado. They don't shut down at 2 a.m. either, just keep going until sunrise. It's the Puerto Rican way. ;)

It is VERY much worth it to upgrade to an ocean view room when staying in any hotel that has it, because the beaches DO close at night and are very peaceful.

SBETigg
02-05-2015, 01:05 PM
There are a lot of nightclubs along that main road in Condado. They don't shut down at 2 a.m. either, just keep going until sunrise. It's the Puerto Rican way. ;)

It is VERY much worth it to upgrade to an ocean view room when staying in any hotel that has it, because the beaches DO close at night and are very peaceful.

Agreed. We were beach front and had no idea that there was such nightlife going on. All I heard was the sound of waves crashing when I was on the balcony. From the room when the door was closed, I couldn't hear much of anything. It was bliss.

BrerGnat
02-05-2015, 01:09 PM
Yeah, when we left San Juan, our flight was at 6am so we were heading out of our hotel at 4am. There was a CRAZY loud party going on at a club across the street. It was wedding...we saw the bride walking back to our hotel along with a few stragglers, but the party was still going strong. We heard nothing from our upper floor beach view room and we only paid $189/night for it! Was a steal!!!

disney obsessed
02-05-2015, 11:14 PM
The intercontinental was awsome.
The ben and jerrys in the area was closed when we were there. :(
And i also loved jamaica.