PDA

View Full Version : Experience speaks volumes

Airblue1
01-21-2015, 12:36 AM
What are some of your successful techniques you have used for a little kid in lines during long wait times?

faline
01-21-2015, 07:00 AM
Some of the lines now have interactive areas that help keep the kids entertained. These lines include Pooh, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, and Dumbo.

Beyond that, it partially depends on the age of the child, his/her interests, and ability to be patient. You might try bringing a tablet with a favorite game. I know my nephew liked to see youtube videos of the other Disney attractions which helped him select which rides/attractions he was interested in seeing.

buzznwoodysmom
01-21-2015, 09:22 AM
My kids could spend hours looking at the park maps when they were young. I didn't let them bring any gaming devices into the parks, and back then our phones didn't have any cool games. Lol. They did enjoy looking through the pictures on our camera while waiting. Other than that we just talked, played games (I spy and such), and enjoyed each other's company. Sometimes I would have a little baggie of snacks and a sippy cup and they had snack time while waiting.

KylesMom
01-21-2015, 09:37 AM
Like Denise, we did a lot of "I Spy" type games as well as using the time to make sure DS was hydrated (we always have traveled in late spring through mid-summer). We always made sure that at the beginning of vacation he had a new "friend" (molded plastic figure or Disney plush) to amuse him in lines so that he wasn't always touching or grabbing at things. Tried bubbles and such but that was only amusing for a few minutes at a time. I also agree with the maps - something free at Disney and they amused our DS forever.

As DS got older, we would purchase him the interactive Disney electronic toys which contained trivia, fun tips for touring the park, etc. Not sure if they still make these or if that is all app driven now! :mickey:

BigRedDad
01-21-2015, 09:59 AM
My experience is to avoid anything with any significant wait. Part of that is due to the number of times we have gone. The other part is nothing is worse than waiting in line for something at WDW. There is so much to do and nothing is worth wasting an hour in a line.

Just from my last trip when crowds were a little more than average. The herds went to Anna & Elsa and 7DMT. I would say 80% of the people at park opening went to those 2. Because of that, everything else was a walk on. We did all of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland (many rides multiple times), pin traded, met other characters, and had a blast. At 11AM, we had done that whole side of the park with no lines. The afternoon was not any worse either.

From my experience, zag when people zig. It is that simple.