PDA

View Full Version : Sushi

Cinderelley
01-20-2015, 05:10 AM
My friend wants to eat sushi. Where would you recommend going? Preferably somewhere that has beef also or at least a really good salad.

VWL Mom
01-20-2015, 06:31 AM
Kona Cafe offers something for both the sushi and non sushi lovers in your party. Another choice would be Wolfgang Puck. We've had sushi at both and it's good. If you're looking for something more upscale, California Grill.

faline
01-20-2015, 07:14 AM
You can also try Teppan Edo in Japan at Epcot.

buzznwoodysmom
01-20-2015, 11:13 AM
California Grill used to have some really great sushi! However, with the recent changes and the loss of the former sushi chef I don't know how good it is these days.

SBETigg
01-20-2015, 01:53 PM
You can also try Teppan Edo in Japan at Epcot.

For sushi, I would choose Tokyo Dining over Teppan Edo. You can get it at both, but the focus at Teppan Edo is more on the cooking in front of you.

Hammer
01-20-2015, 02:52 PM
California Grill used to have some really great sushi! However, with the recent changes and the loss of the former sushi chef I don't know how good it is these days.

We went to California Grill for sushi on our trip last October and it was just as good as before when Yoshi was there!

buzznwoodysmom
01-20-2015, 02:58 PM
We went to California Grill for sushi on our trip last October and it was just as good as before when Yoshi was there!

Awesome! That is good to know!

Cinderelley
01-20-2015, 11:24 PM
For sushi, I would choose Tokyo Dining over Teppan Edo. You can get it at both, but the focus at Teppan Edo is more on the cooking in front of you.

Is Teppan Edo like Benihana's?

Between Teppan Edo and California Grill, which would you guys pick? I know nothing about sushi.

WiltonJohn
01-20-2015, 11:26 PM

Agreed.

Tokyo Dining is the place for sushi in Disneyworld, although compared to Japan the selection of choices is quite limited. And also for some somewhat decent flights of Nihonshu (sake). Better atmosphere if you asre looking for a touch of a more authentic 'in Japan' feeling.

The Teppan thing is actually more of a thing designed for westerners... based LOOSELY on certain food traditions in Japan...... but barely. (Yeah.... it is Bennihana's by any other name.) Just like the absurdly complex "maki rolls" that are often featured in places in the west. Not all that common in Japan.

(I spend a lot of time in Japan and well outside the 'tourist places'.)

best,

..................john

SBETigg
01-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Is Teppan Edo like Benihana's?

Between Teppan Edo and California Grill, which would you guys pick? I know nothing about sushi.

Teppan Edo is like Benihana. Tokyo Dining is more about the sushi and other Japanese style dishes. California Grill has good sushi, but also so many other good things. If your focus is mainly on sushi, I would choose Tokyo Dining (Epcot, in the Japan pavilion, same building as Teppan Edo but a different dining experience). If you want a more fine dining experience with sushi and lots of choices beyond Japanese influenced foods, choose California Grill.

MyDisneyworld
01-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Most trips we go to Tokyo Dining and get the grilled steak combo with the volcano rolls plus another order of volcano rolls to share. It is all so good. They put tempura crispies on top and then drizzle on some of the spicy orange sauce that just puts it over the top. My kids love it also.
Enjoy.
Oh if you do a late dinner with seating around 8:15 to 8:30 you will more than likely get a window seat and can watch the fireworks (music is piped in). We never even have reservations and get right in. Everyone is rushing to leave to get a spot for the show.

Crow
01-23-2015, 02:04 AM
Tokyo Dining...i eat there every trip. service is great as is the sushi and they have other food..and the window looks out on World Showcase
I havent been to California Grill since the rehab..the sushi was great when Yushi was there

Disney_Barbie
01-26-2015, 11:29 AM
There is also Kimonos at the Swan, we like it there as well as all the other locations people have already mentioned

SBETigg
01-26-2015, 03:52 PM
There is also Kimonos at the Swan, we like it there as well as all the other locations people have already mentioned

Kimonos is also good, and later in the evenings they have karaoke, which can be amusing. They're short on dishes other than sushi/Japanese specialties, though.

Cinderelley
01-29-2015, 05:18 AM
Is the view of Illuminations from Tokyo Dining equivalent to Rose and Crown? I have a reservation at Rose and Crown, but I'm wondering if I should change it.

SBETigg
01-29-2015, 01:45 PM
Is the view of Illuminations from Tokyo Dining equivalent to Rose and Crown? I have a reservation at Rose and Crown, but I'm wondering if I should change it.

The view from Rose and Crown is better provided you get a seat with a view or go to the viewing area. You are more likely to end up with a view there because they do have the viewing area in the event that you are not seated with a view.

The view from Tokyo Dining is not bad but not great- lots of tree blockage and not many tables with a view. I'm not sure what kind of view you can get from Spice Road Table or Hacienda de San Angel, two other places with views, but I think Rose & Crown might still be your best bet.

Cinderelley
01-29-2015, 10:35 PM
The view from Rose and Crown is better provided you get a seat with a view or go to the viewing area. You are more likely to end up with a view there because they do have the viewing area in the event that you are not seated with a view.

The view from Tokyo Dining is not bad but not great- lots of tree blockage and not many tables with a view. I'm not sure what kind of view you can get from Spice Road Table or Hacienda de San Angel, two other places with views, but I think Rose & Crown might still be your best bet.

Alright. Thanks. I have a reservation for Rose & Crown at 7:50 pm. Hoping for a good seat.