PDA

View Full Version : Any Pics of DHS Hat?

mickeys_princess_mom
01-08-2015, 02:52 PM
I saw a pic of the wall that's up around the hat. Anybody have pics of what it looks like today? Guess I'm trying to prepare for what it will look like next week....

Cass&KenziesMom
01-08-2015, 06:19 PM
I have friends that took a picture in front of the hat today. If I hadn't read that there was a wall up I would have barely noticed it. I'm glad we got one last picture in front of it last week before the wall went up.

mechanic
01-08-2015, 06:22 PM
I thought hat was already gone?

Cass&KenziesMom
01-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Nope! Demo is scheduled to start soon though if I'm not mistaken.

DizneyFreak2002
01-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Demo will be starting soon... Project should last 3 to 6 weeks...

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Demo will be starting soon... Project should last 3 to 6 weeks...

:mad: Don't mind seeing it gone, but I'll be down there two weeks from today, would prefer not to see construction walls and materials blocking the views. Oh well.

DizneyFreak2002
01-09-2015, 01:01 PM
:mad: Don't mind seeing it gone, but I'll be down there two weeks from today, would prefer not to see construction walls and materials blocking the views. Oh well.

Walls are already up... So yea the construction walls will unfortunately block any view... whether you liked the hat or not...

But these walls are just the beginning... wait until DHS becomes Construction Kingdom...

Jeff
01-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Get ready, construction walls are up all around central hubs of the MK and AK!
"Big doings going on!":mickey:

Cass&KenziesMom
01-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Get ready, construction walls are up all around central hubs of the MK and AK!
"Big doings going on!":mickey:

Yup lots of walls up. Hoping to see a little less walls when we go back in June.

goofy for pluto
01-10-2015, 09:17 PM
But these walls are just the beginning... wait until DHS becomes Construction Kingdom...

Any news regarding if Star Wars will replace all of the attractions at DHS? I have no problem with Star Wars as part of the park. but I for one hope my favorites..Rock-n-roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Muppets 3D. Fantasmic, and Sci Fi Dine-in, will still be there after the new design of the studios is in place.

DizneyFreak2002
01-11-2015, 05:10 PM
Any news regarding if Star Wars will replace all of the attractions at DHS? I have no problem with Star Wars as part of the park. but I for one hope my favorites..Rock-n-roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Muppets 3D. Fantasmic, and Sci Fi Dine-in, will still be there after the new design of the studios is in place.

They aren't making the whole park Star Wars...

Rockin should be safe, only the theme I would consider in play... Original Star Wars plans did call for Muppets to go bye bye... New plans? Not sure since everything is still fluid and changing daily... I'd say probably safe, for now... Fantasmic: well, rumor is they are looking to bring the fireworks show back for the night time entertainment... but, that's only a rumor... The Frozen themed fireworks, as well as the July 4th fireworks, and the special Star Wars fireworks, all received raves... It is a guest favorite... So, would Fantasmic go in favor of a new fireworks show? No idea... If anything Fantasmic needs a major refresh, looked so worn when I saw it in 2013...

Sci-Fi, again, no idea.... Just know everything is pretty much on the table as they redo the park...

Toy Story Playland will be the Pixar Place expansion, at least, that is what is rumored... Look at Cars Land, and take Mater, clone it with a Woody theme... There is one of the rides rumored to be in the Toy Story Playland Pixar Place expansion...

goofy for pluto
01-13-2015, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the information. Having a variety of things to do in the park is what will appeal to the whole family.

Look at Cars Land, and take Mater, clone it with a Woody theme... There is one of the rides rumored to be in the Toy Story Playland Pixar Place expansion...

Isn't that ride like a carnival ride? I hope they can do a lot more than a recreation of DinoLand U.S.A. While I am one of the few people that actually enjoy Primeval Whirl, and I think that having that type of ride is fine as a small part of the park, they are incredibly slow to load and I don't think it competes much with what they are doing over at Universal.

DizneyFreak2002
01-13-2015, 02:24 PM
The removal of the hat has started... The first sections have been taken down...

Goofy for Pluto, Google Toy Story Playland to get a little sense of what (a portion anyway) may be coming, with some changes obviously...

Melanie
01-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Yep, the top has been removed today. As a friend mentioned, it looks like a blue traffic cone right now. lol

It was not lit up at night all last week. Very strange.

Hammer
01-13-2015, 03:47 PM
I'm sure they waited to start the tear down because of marathon weekend.

Melanie
01-13-2015, 04:01 PM
But it still looked horrible - not lighted, construction walls around the bottom portion.

SurferStitch
01-14-2015, 11:31 AM
But it still looked horrible - not lighted, construction walls around the bottom portion.

Probably had to disconnect and demo some electrical conduit/wiring before starting the mechanical demo. The lights were mounted on the hat/ears, and you can't have live electrical feeds while tearing that stuff down. So, no lights.

I actually just went through this with a warehouse I designed and am building at our plant right now. Had tons of electrical demo to do before we could start tearing down walls and such.

TheDuckRocks
01-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Even though I never really liked the big thing, seeing the pictures of it coming down today kind of made me a little teary eyed.

DizneyFreak2002
01-15-2015, 05:20 PM
Even though I never really liked the big thing, seeing the pictures of it coming down today kind of made me a little teary eyed.
Same for me.. but I had tears of joy as that monstrosity is slowly destroyed...

Simba's Mom
01-25-2015, 07:48 PM
I was in DHS on January 18th, and there were walls all around the hat, and only about the top third was disassembled. It was really surprising that the demo wasn't further along.

goofy for pluto
01-25-2015, 09:39 PM
If it's true that DHS is going to have a night time fireworks display, could it be the hat is coming down to allow the fireworks to be seen. I seem to remember that the hat blocking them was an issue during the frozen fireworks event.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-02-2015, 12:26 PM
As of Thursday 1/29 the only part of the hat remaining was the primary lower brim and some of the ears. All of the main hat had been torn down.

DNS
02-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Any sign of relocation?

Gator
02-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Any sign of relocation?

Looking at all the photos as it has slowly come down, they are hacking the poor thing to a slow death. The pieces they've cut it into and the fact they're going into garbage bins tells me it's a goner. And while there's many people glad to see this, I'm not one of them. I was really hoping the Hat would go somewhere else where it could still be a part of the park and be a great photo-op. But it appears the incessant whining of Hat haters has contributed to the demise of my favorite Disney Icon. Forever.:(

cer
02-02-2015, 01:02 PM
But it appears the incessant whining of Hat haters has contributed to the demise of my favorite Disney Icon. Forever.:(

I don't think so. If that were the case it would have been gone long ago.

DizneyFreak2002
02-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Any sign of relocation?

Nope...

Disney4us2
02-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Going tomorrow to see what's going on with the hat. Will report back.

DizneyFreak2002
02-02-2015, 06:58 PM
I don't think so. If that were the case it would have been gone long ago.

The complaining by some in the online community had NOTHING to do with the removal of the hat... The reasons for the removal:

1) It was always meant to be temporary and NOT the new, official long term icon of the park

2) The new direction DHS will soon be taking... I.E. It just doesn't fit with what is coming up...

Now, you may say "but the hat was there for a long time, it wasn't exactly temporary"... Well, it's going away, so it was temporary... And some may say "but look how intricate construction on the hat was, so it had to be meant to be permanent"... again no... Someone who is involved with theme park construction explained it this way: "The hat was meant to be there for only a few years, wasn't meant to be there this long actually. But, even though the hat was meant to be there only 3-5 years, they still had to build the hat to withstand Florida hurricane force winds. Plus, the contractors who built the hat, among other buildings, do so with a long life span in mind, since plans always tend to change. So, if the hat was actually going to be there beyond the originally planned time frame, it had to be built to last." I'll assume the building codes and construction guidelines require them to build the way they did....

Now, whether this guy is 100% on the nose with his information or not, no idea... But it makes a lot of sense... Just look how strong temporary structures or placement holders are built... The temporary Winnie the pooh playground was constructed as if it were to be a permanent part of the MK... We know it wasn't meant to be, but still... Things have to be built a certain way... Imagine if they built the hat cheaply thinking it would be gone in 2 years, and the thing fell over onto guests?????

mickeys_princess_mom
02-03-2015, 10:17 AM
Was there a couple of weeks ago, and the tip of the hat was sitting on the ground next to it, behind the wall. We took pics in front of what was left. Glad there was at least that left, got to say goodbye. :blush: The new symbol seemed to be popping up several places. Nothing against that, but will miss the hat.

Disney4us2
02-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Was at DHS today to check out the hat. It is just some metal frame work now. The pic I took today is on the ICOT Facebook page if you want to see it.