PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Girl's Must Do's...

johnw
01-08-2015, 06:35 AM
:mickey: When we visit Disney World/Epcot (Might be the only time we go) our daughter will be 8 years old. If you were taking her what would be the top 5 must do's for her to see and experience while there? She did mentioned seeing the Princesses at some point. We will be there for one whole week and thinking about staying at the Art of Animation (Still in planning Stages). Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed. We want to make it as special as we can and are saving up as we speak/type. We would have to fly from Michigan to FL.

Thanks Everyone. Johnw :thumbsup:

faline
01-08-2015, 07:30 AM
Since every child is different, I'd suggest getting her a book about Disney - there is one for kids, by kids that might be a good choice. That way, she could point out the things that are most important to her.

You're already mentioned the meet and greets with princesses, but some things that girls of that age often enjoy include:

1. A makeover at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
2. Dinner in the Castle (with the princesses, of course)
3. Tea at the Grand Floridian
4. Other character meals (depending on her favorites and where they might be appearing)
5. Dressing up as a favorite princess

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-08-2015, 08:58 AM
It is a great time to go ... DD was still in awe of everything at Disney when she was 8. :)

There are a few good planning books for kids, and it helps them really understand what Disney may be like, and pick some of their favourite things to do.

Along with the things that Faline mentioned, I'd expect/plan time at some of the "smaller" things. DD LOVED the interactive attractions in Innoventions at Epcot, LOVED the interactive game at the end of Mission Space as much as the actual rides themselves!

Meeting characters was a must ... and it really just depends on who she likes. Character meals are great, since you can meet them without the lines, and you get fed. The princess breakfast in Norway is great, but it isn't in "the Castle", which may or may not be important.

Janmac
01-08-2015, 10:29 AM
I helped plan a Disney World trip for a neighbor's son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter - I think age 7 at the time. It was the 7 year old's first time, tho the parents had been as teens.

The child's enjoyment really rests upon what sort of kid is she? Is she somewhat timid or a complete daredevil? Most of the kids that age that have traveled with us have been more on the timid side.

The thing to be most aware of is that the parks at Disney are quite stimulating. There's a lot going on and it takes some getting used to. Many folks head to the Magic Kingdom first thing as that's the reason for going to Disney World. I submit that going to a less quiet park - say Animal Kingdom if your daughter likes animals - is a better first day park, especially if it's a weekend.

When we bring new kids to the Magic Kingdom we split the visit into two mornings. We do Adventureland - specifically Aladdin's Magic Carpet - and Frontierland first. On the second day we do Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. The kids we've brought feel more experienced and wind up remembering better what they liked best.

As for the granddaughter in the first paragraph, her parents had her do Space Mountain first, rather than Aladdin and then spent several days trying to get her to try other rides. This actually surprised me because I would not have figured the girl to be that timid. Kids are full of surprises.

When my 10 year old grandniece wakes up, I will ask her opinion and post again with her advice.

Jan

Janmac
01-08-2015, 11:23 AM
My grandniece says what is she interested in? Princesses, Star Wars, or Goofy or Pluto and the classic characters.

She says her favorite character breakfast is Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom, with Winnie the Pooh [which is more about the food than the characters]. She also likes the princess breakfast at Akershus at Norway [characters]. She also enjoys the character supper at 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian [characters].

Her favorite park is Epcot. At Epcot she likes Spaceship Earth, Soarin', Test Track, and the ride at the Mexico pavilion. She's sad to have to miss Maelstrom at Norway. She likes to visit Crush at the Seas with Nemo.

Her favorite places to eat at Epcot are Teppan Edo, tho she did like Tokyo Dining as well (at Japan), Marrakesh (at Morocco), and of course the Biergarten (Germany) and mostly because of the meatloaf, altho she enjoyed the band. She likes the food carts as well. She says the first thing on her agenda at Disney is eat something. She also likes to eat at San Angel Inn at Mexico. [We tend to visit Epcot every evening, in order to eat at more countries; we visit a different park each the morning.]

She likes the model railroad near Germany, getting a pearl at the department store in Japan, and choosing a parasol at France [which she also says has good food - you'd think she's starved at home.

At Magic Kingdom, she suggests Aladdin's Magic Carpet, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, Peter Pan, and the Carrousel. While at the Carrousel, "there's a spot where you have to try to pull the sword from the stone; you have to try really hard." [Traditional photo spot for us] Also fun at this location is an "awesome show" called Mickey's Philharmagic. [On our trip next week we will be busy at this location as the Anna & Elsa meet and greet is near here.] She says NO! to Big Thunder Mtn, Haunted Mansion, it's a small world and Space Mtn. Tea Cups and Buzz are ok.

Animal Kingdom is her second favorite park (Magic Kingdom is her fourth favorite park). At AK the must do attractions are, if Flame Tree BBQ is open again, eat there. [She also likes Tusker House.] She likes playing the drums along one of the trails. She loves Primeval Whirl and the games in this area. [She has still to go on Expedition Eversest.] Kilimanjaro Safari is a must do, as are the nature trails, Pangani and Maharajah. She says bring a note pad and a camera. She says avoid it's tough to be a bug, as it's a really gross show.

Third favorite park is Disney Hollywood Studios with Tower of Terror being her favorite ride [altho she will only go on this once each park visit]. Second favorite is Star Tours, multiple times. She says avoid Rock 'n' Roller Coaster but Toy Story is fun. She likes Hollywood and Vine for eating, and Sci Fi Dine in Theater, where you eat in your car at the drive-in.

As for fun outside of the parks, she said every kid has to love swimming at the resort pool.

Her take on the Bibbiti Bop Boutique is she doesn't like having her hair pulled up, or make-up or having her nails done. When she goes to see a princess at a character meal she doesn't want to wear the "scratchy" princess dresses but instead either wears a t-shirt with that character or dresses in a similar color regular dress. [She's a girly girl too, but apparently not into make up, etc.]

She also says to bring glow bracelets from home and put them on in the evening when you go to Epcot. [And she's off and gone . . .]

She didn't mention character meeting much but we have had better luck meeting characters at meals. Every now and then she'll surprise us by wanting to meet a particular character but mostly doesn't except when they come to the table. Another reason we like the character meals, which are usually buffets, is that the food is visible reminding kids that they are hungry. Despite my grandniece's apparent fixation on food, we sometimes have to persuade her she is indeed hungry and it is time to eat.

Welcome to Intercot and have fun planning - my favorite part of a trip, I think. :D

Jan

johnw
01-13-2015, 06:08 AM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. :thumbsup:

BigRedDad
01-13-2015, 08:27 AM
No matter what the suggestions are, budget is going to play a huge role. A lot of what you can accomplish is what you are willing to forego. For a 1-week trip, you may be able to see 25% of what WDW has to offer. You would need to be in the top 10% of the 1% to be able to do everything.

Assuming you are going to the 4 parks only and not the water parks, 2 Days at MK, 1 day at DHS, 1 day at AK, 2 days at Epcot. You can park hop like some may say, but to me that is a waste of 2 hours. I prefer staying in one park and enjoying it.

Princesses: I have not been to Cinderella's Castle. I have been to Akershus in Epcot twice. That Princess meal is incredible and the Princesses love to interact with everyone.

Shows: Fantasmic, Wishes (or whatever it is now) fireworks, Illuminations fireworks, all Castle stage shows, all parades.

MK and Epcot: Be sure to visit at night. They are totally different at night and very impressive.

Resorts: There is so much to do while resort hopping. However, with 1-week there is not enough time to do it.

Cass&KenziesMom
01-13-2015, 09:36 AM
I have a 7 & 9 year old. I can tell you what they most enjoyed between our last 2 trips.

1. Makeover at Bippity Boppity Boutique. (We did the Downtown Disney one.)

2. Dinner at Akershus in Epcot. The princess interaction was awesome!

3. The Frozen snow land at Hollywood Studios. To most this wouldn't be a big deal but we very rarely see snow so playing in the snow was major for my kids.

4. Meeting Ariel (my 7 yr old) and meeting Tinkerbell (both girls.)

5. Dinner at Grand Floridian with Cinderella. (I hear the interaction here is much better than at Royal Table in the castle.)

If she's not a girly girl they do have the pirate makeovers in Magic Kingdom as well. My girls want to do those at least once.