PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...

TheVBs
01-07-2015, 04:57 PM
DH was just laid off again today. :( I feel like I can't breathe. Only 2 years with this company, so no severance package like we had last time. Just praying he finds something else as quickly as he did last time or we will be in very serious trouble.

faline
01-07-2015, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry. The good news is that the economy is better than it was a couple of years ago so, hopefully, he will quickly find another position.

I know it's hard to think straight when you've taken an emotional hit but there are some practical steps you can take. When my husband was last out of work, we adopted a fairly strict policy of not buying anything that was not absolutely critically needed. In order to have some fun things to do, I kept an eye out for free (or nearly free things to do). One weekend, we visited a nearby museum that does not charge admission - that sort of thing. Go over your critical expenditures. Is there anything you can cut back on? Can you reduce your cable bill by taking out some "extras"? Same with your phone service etc.

Getting the word out that a position is needed is critical. Your husband should begin networking. Tell you neighbors; friends; everyone what sort of position your husband is looking for and ask they keep you in mind if they hear of anything. File for unemployment compensation right away. While you likely never need to go to the unemployment office since most claims are now handled on-line or via telephone, it still makes sense to visit your unemployment office. Many states provide additional services to those who are looking for work in terms of assistance with resume writing; job fairs etc. Does your husband's employer offer outplacement services? If so, he should definitely take advantage of that.

Good luck and I hope all goes well!!

VWL Mom
01-07-2015, 05:50 PM
I'm sorry you have to go through this again. Keeping your family in my thoughts that things turn around quickly for you.

SBETigg
01-07-2015, 07:36 PM
So sorry! Linda offered some sound advice, and I hope the right position is out there for him.

Tiggerlovr9000
01-08-2015, 03:11 AM
[QUOTE=TheVBs;2443700]DH was just laid off again today. :( I feel like I can't breathe. Only 2 years with this company, so no severance package like we had last time. Just praying he finds something else as quickly as he did last time or we will be in very serious trouble.[/

So sorry to hear this. My dh got fired last Dec. right before Christmas. He had been at the company 10 yrs. The company changed what he had to do and physically he wasn't able to do it. Just want to say it definitely helps to tell everyone. A job contact can happen in the most unlikely places. I work at a bowling alley. Talking to one of the patrons about his new job ended in him giving my husbands resume to his boss. Now my dh is a machinist again and very happy. He works mon thru fri and all holidays off. It hasn't been that way in years. I really think things happen for a reason. Sending lots of pixie dust your way.

TheVBs
01-08-2015, 11:56 AM
Thanks so much for all of the support and wonderful advice! Faline, your post helped us make a list and we hopped on that stuff first thing this morning. I've been networking like crazy.

By the way, if anyone knows of an open IT/Operations Manager position in Southeast Michigan, we would greatly appreciate it if you would drop me a note! I would post a link to his LinkedIn page, but I think that would be against the rules. I can always send it in a private message though, if anyone wants it to pass along.

I'm just trying not to panic and visualizing massive amounts of pixie dust being sprinkled over us.

disney obsessed
01-08-2015, 02:39 PM
I'm so sorry. Sending lots of pixie dust!!!

They probably hire IT at disney world....
(Could be a way to turn it into a positive)

stephicakes
01-08-2015, 03:24 PM
:pixie: TONS of pixie dust heading your way VBs!! Sorry you are going through this again. :( Our thoughts and prayers for you & your family! One day at a time...

TheVBs
01-09-2015, 07:14 AM
Thank you so much! We're trying to stay calm, positive and proactive. We spent all of yesterday networking, updating his resume, LinkedIn page and other sites. He's got an interview on Monday! I'm desperately hoping this will turn into a positive change like the last time. It was a wonderful company, but the commute took 1 1/2 - 2 hours each way.

All of our monthly bills have pretty much already been beaten down to bare bones, although we could probably look into refinancing the mortgage. For years I collected vintage mermaids and other vintage figurines, I'm going to start listing those on eBay.

And, I've decided to dust off my resume!

Just keep swimming!

disney obsessed
01-09-2015, 11:01 AM
Just keep swimming.....

That phrase got me through some of the most difficult parts of my life. It gave me strength and made me smile.

TheVBs
01-10-2015, 08:13 AM
He had a phone interview yesterday afternoon and they want set up a face to face interview next week! He also has another face to face interview on Monday. Both good prospects! :mickey: Please keep the pixie dust coming.

CanadianWDWFan
01-10-2015, 08:22 AM
Good Luck to your DH with his interviews!

VWL Mom
01-10-2015, 09:57 AM
Good luck to DH with his interviews.
:pixie::pixie::pixie:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-10-2015, 01:57 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:
Hope the interviews produce a job for your hubs.
I don't know of any jobs in Michigan - otherwise -

TheVBs
01-13-2015, 08:15 AM
Thank you again for all the pixie dust! It must be working - 3 interviews this week! :mickey:

faline
01-13-2015, 08:43 AM
Thank you again for all the pixie dust! It must be working - 3 interviews this week! :mickey:

That's great!!! :fingers:

TinkerbellT421
01-13-2015, 05:27 PM

I've been mia lately, first day on INTERCOT in a while. I missed your post till now. I'm so sorry to hear you going through such a stressful time!

Sending prayers and pixie dust your way!!

emerzmom
01-14-2015, 04:51 PM
:tink::magic::tink::magic::tink::magic:
Julie

TheVBs
01-16-2015, 07:36 AM
Thank you! :mickey: All three interviews went well, and he has a 4th interview today. I'm just hoping the momentum keeps up and he gets an offer soon!

TheVBs
04-02-2015, 07:13 AM
DH accepted a new position this week!!! :mickey:

He would get a flurry of interviews, then a lull, more interviews/leads, another lull, repeat, etc. Then this position opened up and the company pursued him pretty aggressively.

It's closer to home, better pay, good benefits. But, best of all, it's a position he's actually interested in! And to top it all off, we didn't have to make too big of a dent in our savings to cover ourselves in the meantime. :) Whew!

Mickey'sGirl
04-02-2015, 07:22 AM
Great news, Susanne! Congratulations to your husband.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-02-2015, 09:33 AM
DH accepted a new position this week!!! :mickey:

He would get a flurry of interviews, then a lull, more interviews/leads, another lull, repeat, etc. Then this position opened up and the company pursued him pretty aggressively.

It's closer to home, better pay, good benefits. But, best of all, it's a position he's actually interested in! And to top it all off, we didn't have to make too big of a dent in our savings to cover ourselves in the meantime. :) Whew!

Congrats - I know that is a big stress lifted.

disney obsessed
04-02-2015, 10:29 PM
Congratulations to you both! :thumbsup:

LVT
04-05-2015, 05:19 PM
:number1::number1::mickey:

NJGIRL
04-24-2015, 07:20 AM
I'm a little late to the party but that is wonderful news!!!! I always TRY to remind myself that things happen for a reason. Getting laid off from a job 5 years ago was the best thing that ever happened to me.