PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on ???

minnie04
01-06-2015, 11:10 AM
I wanted to go Feb. 13-17. What is going on at that time that all the resorts are booked (or super jacked on the prices)?? :confused:

Scar
01-06-2015, 11:26 AM
President's Day weekend?

faline
01-06-2015, 11:52 AM
President's Day weekend?

Exactly!

minnie04
01-06-2015, 02:17 PM
I knew it was President's weekend, but we have that Tuesday off of school as well. I was wondering if there were tournaments going on. Jan. looks booked too the weekend I want to go. I guess I will book off property and still make the trip. I just hope it's like last year all "sold out" and it was still a great time to go. :mickey:

Im going to keep looking :D

KylesMom
01-06-2015, 02:35 PM
Always been a price-gouger weekend. My son's birthday is on the 14th and while he has always had a few days off of school, it is cost-prohibitive to take him to Disney at this time.

Edited to add: Don't forget it is also Valentine's Day weekend. I know if I had my choice, that is where I would like to go for a romantic getaway!

DizneyRox
01-06-2015, 02:39 PM
I knew it was President's weekend, but we have that Tuesday off of school as well.
And you answered your own question... :thumbsup:

Anytime there's a school break WDW is busy.

Also, (and I'm not sure if this still holds since WDW has been able to shift attendance around pretty well) there's a difference between capacity and occupancy. Staffing levels at the resorts determine how many rooms they can service (fill). During down time, they can lower their staff requirement which means they can fill less rooms and still be at capacity.

The law of supply and demand still applies, as more rooms are filled, the remaining rooms cost more. There's been times in the past where you can't find a room on-site and yet there are sections of resorts sitting empty. By closing off whole sections/wings they can save on heating costs, etc.

Sashacrab
01-27-2015, 10:55 PM
And Mardi Gras. We get Monday and Tuesday off so everyone heads to disney.

MIKESMOM
01-28-2015, 05:29 AM
That's the start of winter break in the northeast. :mickey:

Checkers
01-28-2015, 10:02 AM
:mickey:we are meeting our Seattle family there that week as it is their winter break. Also will be celebrating my grandson's 6th birthday. I believe it is the Princess half marathon at the end of the week (my daughter is participating) as well.

My DH & I have to go down a day early (from PA) due to flight schedule, and found it really expensive to add that extra night -- $600+ for one night at the BWI! We ended up using points (DVC members) for a 1 br at the Beach Club Villas and were lucky to get that as the DVC is almost entirely booked. We will then transfer to the BWVs for the remainder of the week which we booked at the 11-month window.

I think my DH & I will be spending a lot of time at the resort!

MizMissy
01-28-2015, 10:59 AM
It is President's Day and Mardi Gras. In Louisiana, many schools have the entire week off of school for Mardi Gras. I was trying to plan a "last minute" trip to Universal and all of their hotels were booked also (except Cabana Bay, but I wanted express pass). I knew the first part of the week would be very busy with both going on, but was a little surprised to discover that the end of the week (18th-22nd) were all booked as well. In fact, the next available date I was given by the Loew's website was February 25th.

faline
01-28-2015, 11:20 AM
It is President's Day and Mardi Gras. In Louisiana, many schools have the entire week off of school for Mardi Gras. I was trying to plan a "last minute" trip to Universal and all of their hotels were booked also (except Cabana Bay, but I wanted express pass). I knew the first part of the week would be very busy with both going on, but was a little surprised to discover that the end of the week (18th-22nd) were all booked as well. In fact, the next available date I was given by the Loew's website was February 25th.

The Daytona track also has a number of events around that time culminating with the Daytona 500 on the 22nd of February. Many folks who attend the races at Daytona will combine that trip with time spent at the parks.

TinkerbellT421
01-28-2015, 11:43 AM
February vacation week for New England states, at least Rhode Island and Mass anyway.

#1donaldfan
01-28-2015, 08:12 PM
How busy is busy the week of February 15 - 21 ??? I'm going down for several days and hoped it would be WAY less crowded than our typical June/July trips ?!!

faline
01-29-2015, 08:30 AM
How busy is busy the week of February 15 - 21 ??? I'm going down for several days and hoped it would be WAY less crowded than our typical June/July trips ?!!

Plan on it being very crowded. I've been there during Presidents Day in the past and it was difficult to just walk through Fantasyland!!

ThanxForNoticin
01-30-2015, 01:22 PM
Plan on it being very crowded. I've been there during Presidents Day in the past and it was difficult to just walk through Fantasyland!!

Agreed - this is always a busy weekend and week - for all the reasons already discussed.... Valentine's Day, President's Day, Mardi Gras, along with Daytona and Princess 1/2 marathon events the following weekend.... VERY busy 10-day stretch likely there.