PDA

View Full Version : Many trips at Moderates - Wilderness lodge this time? pros and cons..

Biggeek
01-02-2015, 06:01 PM
We have been going to Disney World for almost 20 years once or twice a year and typically stay at Moderates (usually French Quarter lately.)

We have a trip upcoming in June and trying to decide if Wilderness Lodge would be a good change of pace for us this trip or stick with FQ or Riverside, which we absolutely love (or CBR which is so so).. but they are getting a bit 'been there done that' ..

Here are some tidbits on how we travel/what we like/don't like.. any thoughts on which way to go would be a huge help from my fellow Intercotees!

1. We stay a lot at the parks. Early to late, but will often make a quick trip back in afternoon for a short nap or recharge.

2. We tend to be spontaneous and frequently eat a meal or two at Food Court during the week.. something quick, breakfast or late lunch before heading to(back to) parks. Commonly Refill mugs 2-3 time a day.

3. I was a catcher for 17 years, so me knees aren't what they used to be, so after a long day at the parks I'm sore and don't look forward to a long walk back to our room.

4. We are messy.. so packing up and hitting both Resorts for part of the trip is too much trouble :D.

5. Have 2 almost grown kids, so don't tend to spend much if any time at pools (but do a water park usually.)

6. We always rent a car.

7. I travel for a living and stay in really nice hotels around the world 80% of the time.. so I'm absolutely sick of anything resembling a hotel.

8. Oh, I grew up in the Midwest and I can't STAND snooty people ;).

chefmickey3
01-02-2015, 07:23 PM
WL is one of our favorite resorts. The lobby is amazing and we love its size - it is not far from the lobby to any of the rooms. Transportation is easy and even if you rent a car a boat ride to the Magic Kingdom is relaxing and nice. The grounds are beautiful. The pool is not one of our favorites but that doesn't seem to be a factor for you. If the cost is in your budget, it sounds like a good fit. I would recommend it!

Janmac
01-02-2015, 11:42 PM
Here're my thoughts based on your tidbits:

1. WL would be easy for quick trips back from MK, by boat. Well, maybe not quick, but fun and laid back. If going by car, the other parks would probably be no problem with quick afternoon trips.

2. WL has a counter service venue but not necessarily a food court. We like Roaring Forks which has a sandwich making counter along one wall and a warm burger/pizza area on another, as well as chips, fruit, a cooler for salads, carrots, desserts, etc.

3. WL is not spread out much tho the hallways can seem long. The lobby is perpendicular to the two room wings. Lots of times we go out the end door and down the stairs. Going up, perhaps we'd do the elevator.

4. We tried that split resort thing once. Boy, we can sure acquire the stuff.

5. The WL pool seems quiet. It has a laid back slide which comes from a rock outcropping. There is a geyser that goes off every hour. The Spanish moss lining the raised walkways is nice as is the stream rushing down the rocks to the pool. The arcade isn't large but it is off to one side of the pool. I like the pool bar - wish my WL cup hadn't gotten the paint rubbed off.

6. See #1

7. WL is a hotel, no doubt about it. It's got this open lobby up to what, six or seven floors? Really tall carved totem poles at each corner., with different animals visible on each floor. You find that in most hotels, eh? And the layers of rock surrounding the fireplace are geologically accurate. The rocking chairs by the spring in the lobby are quite comfy.

8. Snooty people . . . I haven't seen/met any at WL yet. The ambiance of WL is a bit further west than where you grew up - it's meant to remind us of the National Park lodges and does a pretty good job. I almost feel as tho I'm in Yellowstone or at Mt Rainier when I'm at WL.

All seriousness aside, I think WL would be a good venture into deluxe land for someone that is comfortable at French Quarter. The resort is compact, except for the dadgum parking lot. That seems to grow exponentially as one's trip progresses, but perhaps that's only an illusion based on the slope. I almost think I'd skip a meal each day to pay for valet parking.

And, if you don't like it, you don't have to go back. :D

Jan

DisneyEpcotDad
01-08-2015, 06:10 PM
I've stayed at WL several times. It's closest to MK either by bus or boat. Otherwise you face a 15-20 minute ride to other parks. It has kind of a "nature" feel to it. I've found it to be a more relaxing resort. It is a hotel environment. I recommend you get a balcony facing the courtyard.:mickey:

VWL Mom
01-08-2015, 06:33 PM
It think Janmac pretty much covered everything. Not sure how old your kids are (mine are 19 and 23) but Sturdy Branches Health Club is on site if they work out and there's a jogging trail that runs between WL and Ft. Wilderness.

If you want to spend a down day, bike rentals and boat rentals are available at the hotel or you can take the boat over to the Contemporary for tubing, parasailing, jet skis, etc.

There's also Territory Lounge if you're interested in a nightcap or a place to sit back and unwind with some snacks. They usually have sports on the TV.

Tinkerbella16
02-04-2015, 09:19 AM
I also stay at POFQ/POR each year and this November I am booked at WL for the first time. This is my 1st deluxe stay. I am going solo so I am splurging and staying at a resort that I always dreamed of staying in. I look forward to the spending time on the grounds, pool and lobby. It is just breaktakingly beautiful there and I cannot wait to actually stay for 10 days! :mickey:

AgentC
02-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Chiming in on this a little late. Wilderness Lodge is one of my favorite deluxes and I think a nice change from a moderate. The atmosphere is worth trying it out once.

If you do, make sure you check out some of the special activities listed on the daily schedule. Also explore the lobby areas on several floors. There are many cool nooks and crannies to check out.

Patricia
02-04-2015, 10:28 AM
I'm late to the party too.
My favourite moderate is also PO.

We love WL, even though it feels like I'm still at home in the Pacific Northwest. :)

We enjoyed the little coves above the lobby for sitting and people watching, so cozy. You can visit the the DVC section and see Walt's trains in the Carolwood Pacific room. We actually found this room by a happy accident (we were looking for the gym we never used) and ended up sitting in there and reading the paper.

We had a balcony overlooking the courtyard and it was very pretty sitting out there watching the waterfall. Nice shop. Loved the boat to MK and used it often. We used the path to Fort Wilderness a few times and saw deer every morning. You can also watch the Electric Water Pageant from the beach nightly.

Yes, it's a hotel.. with an awesome lobby, theme and it's In WDW! :mickey:

Lindsey310
02-05-2015, 11:03 AM
You will absolutely love WL!! It has a great location and the proximity to MK is great!!! Unlike the moderates, the hotel is contained in one building but the hallways can be long...when you do your online check in just request a room near the elevators.

We LIKE roaring forks (WL quick service) but find its small and doesn't have that many options. But the location right inside the lobby downstairs is handy especially for those late night refills in your cup.

We have never encountered snooty people in WDW it's more in when we travel to the caribbean that people feel they are entitled and better than everyone else :confused::ack: (eye roll)

Don't miss the electric water pageant...it's nothing spectacular but it's adorable and it has been running for years...:cloud9:

22 days until we are home again :joy:

BIGDOG
02-05-2015, 01:32 PM
3. I was a catcher for 17 years, so me knees aren't what they used to be, so after a long day at the parks I'm sore and don't look forward to a long walk back to our room.

Just wondering what team you played for?