PDA

View Full Version : Christmas day Frozen Parade - where was the Magic?

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Just curious, we taped the annual parade Christmas morning, but with busy schedules we didn't get around to watching it. On Saturday the DW and I were going thru the dvr (and especially with our upcoming trip in January) decided to watch part of it before watching it with the kids.

I have to say, I think we fast forwarded thru most of it. I don't know what it was, if we weren't in the right mood, or if it was the change in hosts (Tim Tebow - really?? - Didn't care for Robin Roberts much either), or if it was all the time spent with the three families, but we deleted it before showing it to the kids.

Again, no idea why, but it felt like there was no magic. Seemed like very little of the parade was shown, didn't particularly care for the performers, didn't like the hosts and the whole thing kind of felt like a dud.

Am I on an island on this one? It just wasn't what I had expected.

BrerGnat
12-29-2014, 10:32 AM
No, you are not alone on this. It was absolutely horrible. I'm done with this tradition if this is how future christmas television specials will be.

They must really be hurting for visitors to Aulani. One third of the special was Aulani exposure.

SurferStitch
12-29-2014, 11:40 AM
I only watched it to see my friend's daughter perform with Olaf. It was a very cute segment, and we did get to see her, so that was cool.

I was very disappointed with the "parade" segments... little snippets added here and there, with no realy parade. Kind of pathetic.

I was sick of seeing the mediocre music spots, too. Most of them were "meh".

This was the most infomercial one yet!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-29-2014, 12:12 PM
I only watched it to see my friend's daughter perform with Olaf. It was a very cute segment, and we did get to see her, so that was cool.

I was very disappointed with the "parade" segments... little snippets added here and there, with no realy parade. Kind of pathetic.

I was sick of seeing the mediocre music spots, too. Most of them were "meh".

This was the most infomercial one yet!

Was this the baton twiller segment? We saw that one, yes it was cute and they did a real good job.

I'm glad I'm not alone on this, I hated to use the word, but it was just plain horrible. Very little continuity, as already said, way too many plugs for Aluani, and even where they placed Robin Roberts just felt cold (or maybe better put Frozen). Didn't the hosts usually stand in a spot where you could see the floats and performers behind them?

We wanted to show the kids some of the rides again, as a reminder of what they will be going on. Did they even show the new Seven Dwarves ride?

All I can say is, a lump of coal in Disney's stocking for airing that clunker and disappointment of a so called Christmas parade.

PirateLover
12-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Just awful. Where was the parade??? We DVRd as well and fast forwarded through many segments and ended up giving up after 45 mins in. :(

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-29-2014, 01:21 PM
We agree! Where was the parade? We usually really enjoy it, but this year was totally blah.

I think the worst was the hosts talking while the floats were going by in the background at the hub. DD was yelling "show me the parade".

Pirate Granny
12-29-2014, 02:01 PM
It was pretty bad...unfortunately out trip next December we will be there the weekend of the taping. We will stay well away from the MK that weekend.

Also, the family reunions were OK..except the one in Hawaii.... I agree with the others, what does that resort have to do with a XMAS disney parade....they overstepped their reality check when they built that resort.

Ms. Mode
12-29-2014, 02:39 PM
I was working on putting all my pins in my new pin bag while the "parade" was on the TV. I got up to go to the restroom and MISSED the snippet of "parade" they actually showed. I was really unhappy with it too.

BrowncatP
12-29-2014, 07:48 PM
I was So glad that I recorded it. Where was the parade! It was just a sing-a-long. The only good part was the mention of Disneyland's 60th anniversary coming up.

SurferStitch
12-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Was this the baton twiller segment? We saw that one, yes it was cute and they did a real good job

Yes, well, they had canes, and the girls were dressed in hot pink and teal. She was in the third row, just to the left of Olaf. Very cute routine.

After I watched that, I basically just had the show on in the background, and didn't pay much attention since it wasn't very good anyway.

Melanie
12-30-2014, 09:52 AM
DVRed it and never watched based on reviews. It's been going downhill for a few years now.

Kenny1113
12-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Another for horrible- I had posted on another thread my thoughts on this "parade". I agree with the previous poster, this Christmas tradition is done in our family. It has been on the decline, but I think this one takes the cake. I will not bother in the future. It was a long commercial for Disney and blatantly obvious as such too. Very disappointing.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-31-2014, 09:32 AM
Another for horrible- I had posted on another thread my thoughts on this "parade". I agree with the previous poster, this Christmas tradition is done in our family. It has been on the decline, but I think this one takes the cake. I will not bother in the future. It was a long commercial for Disney and blatantly obvious as such too. Very disappointing.

I don't necessarily mind the "Disney Commercial" that is inherent within every parade show. In fact I really liked Samantha Brown when she'd do her bit. But at least then, the holiday parade and showcasing the parks was still front and center. This year, more than any other that I can recall, the parade was just background noise. Frankly we fast forwarded through so much of it, I couldn't tell you what this years was about, just that I hated it and the hosts.

TheDuckRocks
12-31-2014, 10:27 AM
This was our first year ever to watch the parade on television. Wow, that was awful!
The only reason we watched was because 1) we were in MK one day of the taping and 2) because of remarks made by the CM on our Keys To The Kingdom Tour.
1) The weather that day was so awful I was curious as to how they could make it look any better. If you watch carefully you can see one segment has a grayer look.
2) The remark made by our tour guide about the parade was that the added days for the taping was basically because one of the performers, at the last minute, "she" would not be able to on the originally scheduled date. I was very interested to see who "she" was.
I will never go to MK on taping day again.

Main Street Jim
12-31-2014, 08:52 PM
Yeah, it's not really even a "parade" any more - and hasn't been since they stopped showing it live on TV about twelve years ago. It's more "entertainment" (if you wanna call it that) any more.

I'm like y'all - didn't care much for the "overexposure" of Aulani.

People *still* show up in the park Christmas day fully expecting *that day's* parade to be the one that's shown on TV.

MNNHFLTX
12-31-2014, 11:36 PM
2) The remark made by our tour guide about the parade was that the added days for the taping was basically because one of the performers, at the last minute, "she" would not be able to on the originally scheduled date. I was very interested to see who "she" was.
So, did you ever find out who "she" was?

I'm not much of a parade person; the snippets I caught were mostly about Aulani, and there was nothing particularly Christmassy about that. And honestly, I could care less about seeing Ariana Grande perform. :ack:

i'm grumpy
01-01-2015, 10:23 AM
I said there was no parade, just one long ad for Alauni (sp?). And don't get me started on the music. :ack: I shut if off before it was over. Didn't even see the head cheese.
:mickey: Pitiful.

1DisneyNut
01-01-2015, 04:08 PM
I agree as well. My daughter, who is a big frozen fan even said the "parade" was garbage. Last year was bad but this year was horrible. It was just one big long infomercial. As has been mentioned, you can tell Aulani isn't doing so well as they were really pushing it.

There was hardly any of the parade. The music acts were from mediocre to really bad. I am also sick of hearing that song from Frozen.....I cannot stand to hear it another single time. You could even tell by the facial expressions of people in the crowd that they were less than impressed.

I seriously doubt we will even turn it on next year.

Altair
01-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Bring back Regis Philben and drum major Mike, those were the best parades. :thumbsup: :mickey:

TheDuckRocks
01-02-2015, 10:32 AM
So, did you ever find out who "she" was?

And honestly, I could care less about seeing Ariana Grande perform. :ack:

Bingo! I guess the media might be right about her being a diva.

Arielfan98
01-03-2015, 01:31 AM
I must agree with everyone. There was hardly any parade and mostly Aulani and a million performers who I could care less about. Furthermore, Robin Roberts was ok I guess, but Tim Tebow, really? They had that ridiculous segment where he fought a dragon or something. Like really? Pathetic. He can't act. I was impressed with the Olaf dancing scene and what little of the parade they presented. Even though they said it would be Frozen incorporated, I didn't feel there was a lot of Frozen stuff except for the covers by the performers. Overall, I'll have to give this parade a B- as a grade.