PDA

View Full Version : JG's “toe squincher” Exercise?

GMRO
12-11-2014, 04:12 PM
So reading up on this.

How's it done? Do you stretch out your legs, like lying on floor, and point your toes out with foot extended - THEN pull your toes in and hold for the exercise while keeping your foot pointed?

It'd be more helpful on JG's site IF he would post a short video clip or gif of this being done.

I just want to keep my feet healthy. NO problems to report - just wondering if this can be done sitting down with knees bent at the 90 degree angle and if pointing the foot and toes out is what needs to be done prior to the pulling in of the toes.

Anyone know?

THANKS!

Christine
12-14-2014, 12:59 PM
I haven't heard of this? When I saw the title, I was hoping it had tips on how not to lose toenails on a long run. I'm bearing horror stories of ppl losing nails on full marathons!!!

badkitty
12-14-2014, 03:27 PM
GMRO, I do "squinchers" when standing on the stairs (holding onto the railing) and pointing my toe below the step. Also when I'm sitting I'll point and "squinch". Not sure if this is right but it seems to work in strengthen in my toes.

Christine, Jeff talks about losing toenails on his website and in episode 230 or 231 of the Mickey Miles podcast. Not sure if this will help but shoes and/or socks that are too tight and warm weather contribute to "black toenails".

GMRO
12-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Thanks BK! Could be that as long as you POINT the foot and curl the toes inward that is what JG means.

CW, from JG says this toe exercise it to help curb Plantar Fasciitis. I'm not having a problem but since I run a lot per month I am just trying to be proactive and want to keep that part of the foot strong. This exercise from what he says helps to avoid that painful syndrome.

Far as black toe nails and falling off...I'd think, HOPE, that is due to folks running multiple marathons? I have found that wicking socks that are thin really help me. Plus I don't over tighten my shoes. Not lose but not hockey skate tight either. With the thin wicking socks I use I've had very good success at not having any toe/foot issues. I’m averaging 115 miles/month of running. I do notice that I have a few blisters on the tips of maybe 2 of my toes sometimes and nails need manicured more often than before I ran as much as I have in the past few years. But no discolor or issues. At 10 mile runs my feet get pretty wet…even indoors on the treadmill. TMI??? ;)

CW, GOOD LUCK on your “full” too!!! EXCITING for sure!