PDA

View Full Version : January swimming

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-04-2014, 12:32 PM
We've gone down several times in December and have not had any issues swimming in the outdoor resort pools, with regard to temps being too low.

We are now contemplating a late January to Feb 1 trip and I'm wondering if there is much of a temperature difference, especially for swimming, between December and January.

The kids seem to withstand anything, more curious for me and the DW.

faline
12-04-2014, 12:39 PM
January often brings some of the coldest weather to Florida. I have been able to swim fairly frequently in December and sometimes in February. I can't think of a time when I've gone swimming in January. When visiting in this month, I've usually experienced high temperatures in the 60's - sometimes hitting in the low 70's.

Pools are heated which is fine as long as you're in the water but you still need to get out at some point!!

jgisme
12-04-2014, 01:53 PM
January is our favorite month to go to Disney, but I can't think of any trip where we have used swimming pools in January. Last year, it was down jackets most of the time (but that was during the polar vortex!). Mostly it's jeans and a t-shirt or sweatshirt during the day, with another layer for night.

Perhaps we are not very adventurous swimmers? :mickey:

joonyer
12-04-2014, 06:18 PM
There's no a whole lot of difference, on average, between December and January temps in Orlando (about 2 degrees). But that's the average over time. On any given week or day, you could experience temps higher or much lower that the average. You won't know for sure what the weather will be until relatively close to your trip. Here's some historical stats for you to see.

December averages:

Average high temperature: 72.9 F, 22.7 C
Average low temperature: 51.3 F, 10.7 C
Average precipitation: 2.15 in
Average humidity (1pm): 57 percent
Record high (1978): 90 F
Record low (1983): 20 F

January averages:

Average high temperature: 70.8 F, 21.5 C
Average low temperature: 48.6 F, 9.2 C
Average precipitation: 2.30 in
Average humidity (1pm): 56 percent
Record high (1991): 87 F
Record low (1985): 19 F

baldburke
12-04-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm assuming the hot tubs stay open?

faline
12-05-2014, 09:49 AM
I'm assuming the hot tubs stay open?

They do. The pools are open as well. Some folks use them.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Thanks everyone.

The kids have swam in the northern Minnesota lakes in early June, and the water temps the last couple years have been probably still below 60. So I think they can handle it. (Ice out on the lakes is mid May some years).

Mom and dad may not use the pools though. My way of negating the 50 degree water temps was to go from a 200 degree sauna directly into the lake.

joonyer
12-05-2014, 11:37 PM
The pools are all heated at Disney, so the water will be warm. It's the air temp that will make it comfortable or not, getting from the water back to your room might be chilly, but other than that swimming in January is very doable.

Janmac
12-06-2014, 12:23 AM
I think we've got 3 December trips, 3 January trips and two February trips. I seem to recall kids in the pool every month, but definitely swimming less in January. Temperature can fluctuate daily tho.

One December trip it was too cold to open Blizzard Beach that day. This of course was the day I'd scheduled surfing lessons for our youngest granddaughter and youngest grandson (cousins). Surfing lessons were held, and then BB closed again. Don't think DGS has forgiven me yet. :D

Jan

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-06-2014, 01:30 PM
The pools are heated, and feel quite warm, even in the chilly January weather. However, like others have said, the run/walk from the pool to/from the room is less than pleasant.

I LOVE to swim, but even I didn't get as much pool time in, since it was just too cold to enjoy. DD however (along with all of the other kids) swam as much as always!

tjstrike
12-06-2014, 11:44 PM
2 years ago we were in the water parks in January, I think it was mid 70's.

NJDad
12-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Son and I did it several times one trip in the AM when it was still dark before everyone else woke up!

It is indeed all about one's ability to endure the return from the heated pool to the room.

Christine
12-07-2014, 10:16 AM
It's so hit and miss. Yesterday was 80 and glorious, 75 at night. Last week we had highs in the 50s lows in the upper 30s.

Pack a suit. If the weather isn't swimmable, just give it a minute, it'll change. :)