PDA

View Full Version : Old Key West advice

ginny57
11-30-2014, 08:49 AM
In my quest to stay at every WDW resort, I've book a studio at OKW for March.

Any advice on the resort like room requests and things to do is appreciated!

We will have a car but will use the boat to DTD for sure. Also LOVE hitting a hot tub at night after a long park day.

Thx all!

John
11-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Actually love this resort. As the oldest of the vacation club - the rooms are the largest and it has a very relaxed feel to it. Studios are really nice.

We've talked about it before on the podcast but Olivia's is great for dining. In fact, when the resort is at peak, we've gone there to dine when other places were booked solid and have always enjoyed things.

The big pool is nice but we prefer the smaller "quiet pools" to relax. Of course, sitting on your porch watching golfers or boats go by is pretty relaxing too.

Be sure to grab a cold beverage in the evening and sit on the boardwalk at the main hall and soak in the relaxing contrast to the craziness of the parks ;)

Room request wise, not sure where to guide you on that. Boat to downtown Disney is great and I'm with you on the hot tub!

And go Eagles!

dlpmikki
11-30-2014, 01:55 PM
I'd request close to hospitality house. That means your building will be in easy walking distance of hospitality house and the boat to downtown disney. It's a lovely resort but I definitely like being near the centre. You also have better bus options as the first stop is peninsular road and the last stop hospitality house. So you can get on the last stop and off at the first stop and be near your room. The ride round the resort takes about 15 minutes so that can be some time saved.

Have fun!

ginny57
12-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to OKW. Olivia's is on my list for sure. I think I'll request a room close to a quiet pool. And I'll definitely have that evening beverage ;-)

Oh and yes.....Go Eagles!!:thumbsup:

epceddie
12-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Old Key West is our DVC home resort and we love everything about it. My advice is to ask for a ground-floor room with a canal view. My wife loves to sit on the patio with a cup of coffee early in the morning and watch the boats going back to Downtown Disney.
If you can move up to a 1BR, the canal views are even better, especially in Building 45 or 46.
Also remember that only a couple of buildings at the resort - 62, 63 and 64 - have elevators. Building 64 does not have its own parking lot.
Hope this helps you out.

epceddie
12-05-2014, 08:40 PM
There's a nice quiet pool with a hot tub in the Miller's Road section of the resort near Buildings 19-22.

Christine
12-07-2014, 10:03 AM
I love okw, it's one of my home resorts. The Jimmy Buffet and steel drum music and the Palm trees and twinkle lights just make the weight of the world peel off of you the moment you enter.

I agree with the hospitality house location recommendation. and while the views are nicer from the upper floors, be aware there are NO elevators!! My DH wasn't happy lugging our fully stocked ice chest up two flights of stairs!