PDA

View Full Version : A New Disney Adventuere....

RavsRuleDisney!
11-25-2014, 01:22 PM
So after a decade of vacationing at WDW, the family is heading west - Disneyland west to be exact! Looking at 9 months out (end of summer 2015) we are planning on a SanFrancisco to Disneyland trip. Probably 2 days at DL plus a day at Cali Adventure. Still in the early planning stages. Never been to Ca. so kinda excited.

Any early thoughts or suggestions from the DL crowd would be great....accommodations, navigating the park, stuff to possibly avoid, dining - you know, the usual!! :thumbsup:
The clan is the usual:

DH - other than the long-ish flight, I'm ready
DW - add to her vacation planning portfolio
DS15 - wants to skateboard at Venice Beach!
DS12 - Intercotee in training

Will post as the plans develop but any help in advance is totally welcome!! Thanks :mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
11-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Congrats, you will find a lot to enjoy about DL. Did you know that intercot has a DL section. Just go to the discussion board page and scroll down. I don't want to give advice on Dl as I haven't been since before the cars expansion at CA. Write a trip report when you get back and let us know how you liked it.:mickey:

Strmchsr
11-25-2014, 02:54 PM
I'm going to bump this to the DLR vacation planning forum. Have fun!

NewDVCowner
11-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Firstly, just make sure you're planning enough time to get from San Francisco to Anaheim. It takes at least 7 hours of driving to get there, so plan accordingly. How much time are you planning San Francisco?

Unlike Disney World, at Disneyland you don't need to stay on property to be close and you don't need to plan so many dining reservations. The counter service meals at the parks are much better than the counter service restaurants at WDW. For table service I would recommend the Blue Bayou, if only for the location, inside the Pirates ride.

For hotels, you can save money staying a good neighbor hotel. Some of them are closer to the front gates than most of the Disney hotels (though the Grand Californian is the closest). There is something to be said about staying at the Disneyland Hotel - especially for your first visit.

Fast passes work the way the fast passes used to at WDW. You don't need to reserve anything ahead of time.

If you're going in June then chances are the weekends are blackout days for Southern California pass holders. I will say I noticed a real difference in the crowds on those days. I can't really tell you about crowds on weekdays, though.