PDA

View Full Version : Huge change of plans

buzznwoodysmom
11-19-2014, 02:56 PM
We have had a huge change of plans for our possible Disneyland trip.:(

Turns out our kids will not be able to miss the few days we had planned on. Our oldest DS, in high school now, has midterms/make ups for midterms on the days he would have been out. The 9 weeks ends on the Thursday he was to return. Since he already isn't a very strong student it's a "no go" for him to miss those days.

Pricing DL for the same number of nights before the football tournament (instead of after) resulted in huge sticker shock!!! Holiday pricing on top of military discounts blocked out equaled a price increase too large for us to consider at this time.

As of now it looks like we are to arrive in California on Dec. 31. We have to be at the opening ceremony for the tournament on the afternoon of Jan. 2. The games will be on the 3rd and 4th, and we would leave on the 5th. So that gives us Jan. 1st completely free to what we want.

Is it even worth it to drive to Anaheim for the day on Jan. 1 to visit DL as a day guest? Or would we be wasting our time? Would it be so packed with holiday crowds that we wouldn't enjoy it? Obviously our original 3 night stay onsite would have been better, but is it worth the time and money for a little taste of the original????

BrerGnat
11-19-2014, 03:43 PM
I would still go. New Year's is actually not usually very crowded. NYE is the crowded day. I would go if you are willing to go all out for that one day. The parks will likely be open 8am-midnight so you can do quite a lot with a good plan.

buzznwoodysmom
11-19-2014, 07:36 PM
I would still go. New Year's is actually not usually very crowded. NYE is the crowded day. I would go if you are willing to go all out for that one day. The parks will likely be open 8am-midnight so you can do quite a lot with a good plan.

Natalie, would you suggest we pick just one park and fully tour/enjoy that one park. Or should we get a hopper ticket and try to tackle both in one day? My experience with WDW tells me to just pick one park and enjoy it. Trying to do both seems like a lot of pressure and running around. But maybe these 2 parks are doable in one day????

BrerGnat
11-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Eh, that is tough. I would be inclined to say just visit one and focus, but know that you can upgrade your tickets if you get the itch to run to the other park. I have a really hard time recommending one park over the other though. DCA is just so great nowadays, but Disneyland is a classic.

Maybe others will chime in if you start a new thread asking which park you should visit.

tinkwest
11-22-2014, 04:22 PM
I've always said go for the park hopper, but with the difference in price between one park and a hopper steadily rising over the years it's not as much of an obvious choice as it used to be.

I suppose I would choose Disneyland if I could only go to one park. After all I was perfectly happy with it for 45 years when it was my only choice! We love DCA, spend a lot of time there and are happy it exists, but there is still a special feeling connected with Disneyland.

Another reason I'd lean towards that park is because of when you will be there. On January 1st at Disneyland you should be able to visit Haunted Mansion and it's a small world with their holiday overlays and enjoy the Christmas Fantasy Parade and Believe in Holiday Magic Fireworks.

BrerGnat
11-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Good point on the holiday stuff at Disneyland!

badkitty
11-22-2014, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry you have to change your plans.

I would lean towards one park due to price and experience. There is nothing like the original. As tinkwest said, perfectly happy when DL was the only park. Most of the must dos at DCA are almost exact replicas of their counterparts in WDW. There are some things at DCA that are unique and worth the experience but you would have to decide if the cost is worth it and you have the time. And, as BrerNat said, you could always upgrade during the day.