PDA

View Full Version : Must See Simpsons and HP in one day! Help!

SwissCheese1981
11-19-2014, 10:55 AM
My husband and I are making a trip to Orlando/Disney/Universal at the end of January. We have planned one day for Universal. Neither of us has ever been there, however I am a Disney veteran.
We have decided that both the Simpsons area and the Harry Potter area are "must see" for our day at Universal, but they are in different parks. Not knowing a thing about Universal, I have a few questions.
1) is there a "park hopper" style option so this is even possible?
2) how much time do we budget for each area? (Simpsons in the AM, Harry in the afternoon?). Is this doable?
3) if we will have extra time after seeing these areas, what else is Do Not Miss? A quick note here: my husband does not do heights or roller coasters.
4) Is there a Can't Miss dining experience we should have while at Universal? Anything amazing in either Springfield or Harry Potter?
Thanks in advance everyone!

faline
11-19-2014, 11:33 AM
There is a park hopper option. I don't think it will take you very long to see the Simpson area of the park.

There are Harry Potter sections in both parks. Islands of Adventure has Hogwart's and Hogsmeade while Universal Studios has Diagon Alley. The Hogwart's Express travels from one park to the other - you can only go one way on the train at a time and would need to stand in line to go the other way. The experience is different on each train ride. You MUST HAVE a park hopper to ride the train either way. Both of the Harry Potter park sections are quite well done and could take a considerable amount of time to explore fully.

Since you don't do heights or roller coasters, you will need to consider whether you will ride the featured Harry Potter rides. On our recent visit, we found the Escape from Gringott's ride usually always had a 70 minute + wait time though there is a single rider line that can get you on in about 1/2 hour. The wait for the train ride from park to park - regardless of direction seemed to run around 20 minutes - 40 minutes even when the wait time listed on the app was 10. The Harry Potter ride in Islands was consistently listed at around a 20 minute wait time and that also has a single rider line.

Universal has a lot of simulator type rides on which my husband does not do well. In addition to the Harry Potter area, we like Men in Black and the Despicable Me simulator ride.

Strmchsr
11-19-2014, 12:23 PM
I don't disagree with anything Linda posted. If you want to see the Simpsons and HP you'd probably be better off just doing the one park with Diagon Alley and Simpsons and skipping Hogsmeade. It'd be a little much to do everything in 1 day. Now, if you guys aren't doing the rides, you can cover both areas pretty quickly. Some folks can spend hours in the stores. I spent an hour looking around and even that was a little much. They have a good diversity of items in the stores, but I'm just not into looking at every item for sale. Diagon Alley also has a couple of shows - the tales of Beedle the Bard puppet show and a Selestina Warbeck show. The Simpsons, likewise, doesn't have a ton of stuff outside the ride. I walked through it and felt I had seen everything in 30 minutes. It's definitely fun and worth seeing, but unless you're a big shopper you can cover the areas quickly except for waiting in lines. I would recommend trying to do HP first thing in the morning, though, as it gets crowded in a hurry and stays that way.

As for dining, unfortunately, Universal falls way short of Disney in terms of dining options. That was my greatest disappointment. You can grab a butterbeer or some of the other HP food items and that's pretty good but there's no restaurant at Universal, either park or City Walk, that I felt made for an incredible/unique experience. In fact, every restaurant at City Walk I have here locally so no big deal.

SwissCheese1981
11-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Thank you both for your input! I will be adding Despicable Me to our list for sure! We love those movies!

BrerGnat
11-19-2014, 03:39 PM
You can totally do it. I would start in Universal, do Simpsons and Despicable Me FIRST. Then hit Diagon Alley. You'll want to take your time there. I recommend lunch at the Leaky Cauldron. Fabulous food and atmosphere. Do Gringott's and the use a park hopper option to take the train over to IOA and see Hogsmeade, do the rides there then take the train back (the train ride is different each way you go). Spend some more time in DA, get an ice cream or frozen butter beer, and enjoy the Tale of the Three Brothers stage show. You will probably still have time left in the day, and if so, do anything else that strikes your fancy.

My friend and I were able to do everything once at both Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade, and we rode a few additional rides all in one day between 8:45am and 5pm. You can totally do it in one day.

LVT
11-20-2014, 07:30 AM
Note that the line for HP Forbidden journey is an adventure itself. Try to do the line, if not the ride.
1. No bags or carry items allowed. Lockers are at the beginning.
2. It was rather dimly lit. I had a small pocket flashlight to use for looking at details.
I loved the ride, but some of the family got motion sick. We went thru a few times in the evening when the line went to almost none.:)

BrerGnat
11-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Note that the line for HP Forbidden journey is an adventure itself. Try to do the line, if not the ride.
1. No bags or carry items allowed. Lockers are at the beginning.
2. It was rather dimly lit. I had a small pocket flashlight to use for looking at details.
I loved the ride, but some of the family got motion sick. We went thru a few times in the evening when the line went to almost none.:)

Along these lines, Gringotts standby line is amazing. Maybe better than the actual ride! Definitely go through it.

FWIW, neither Forbidden Journey nor Gringotts is a roller coaster or mega thrill ride. FJ is surprisingly gentle, but very exciting nonetheless. I loved it! Gringotts wants to be a coaster but it's not. It's a car on a track, but it stops often and there are no big hills or inversions. It's more similar to Dinosaur than any coaster.

SwissCheese1981
11-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I am hoping to get DH on Big Thunder at MK before a few days before we go to Universal, so hopefully, he will enjoy it enough to do other coasters. Knowing some of the HP rides are not coasters is a good thing, because I think he will be more open to riding if he knows it isn't a coaster.

Keep the great info coming everyone! I really appreciate it!!!

pink
01-17-2015, 11:17 PM
You have already been given some pretty sound advice but I just thought I would add my two cents!

When we went in March (it was fairly busy) we were able to do HP in the morning and Simpsons in the late afternoon (with about a 45 minute wait).

I don't do roller coasters either. Some of the simulator rides at Universal/IOA also make me ill. Some of the things I enjoy at both parks are the Jurassic Park water ride, ET, the animal show, Disaster, and Terminator 3D.

As far as the dining goes, none of the restaurants were memorable.

Have a wonderful trip!

:mickey:

NJGIRL
01-18-2015, 02:44 PM
I always tell people that they should not try to do both parks in one day. Too much is overlooked or missed. Both of these parks have enough to do to keep you busy for full days. Now if you are just doing HP and the Simpsons then you will be OK...but why not do everything they have to offer?????

Rushing thru and doing both parks in a day...especially if you have never been there before is like being a first time visitor to Disney and doing EPCOT and the MK in one day.

Katzateer
01-24-2015, 07:54 PM
I went for one day and most of the time was spent with HP attractions. I loved it all and spent a lot of time in the shops. I went through Gringotts but did not ride. simply amazing, all the details. rode HExpress 3 times

Was lucky to be with friends that knew their way around and were excellent planners and guides.

I did not like Despecible Me - at all. Too
Jerky. The Dr. Suess ride in the sky is fun. Did not see The Simpsons.

We ate at the Leaky Coldren- butter beer was good and my food was fine

Hope you have a great time!

MNNHFLTX
01-25-2015, 12:06 AM
I think you've been given some sound advice. I just wanted to add that I do think there are some wonderful dining experiences in the Universal area. Finnegans in the Studios provides a genuine UK pub experience, just as much as Rose and Crown in Epcot. Mythos has delicious food and a unique atmosphere. And in Citywalk, the new Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar is definitely one-of-a-kind (well, two anyway, as the other restaurant is in NC).

Beach Club Babe
01-25-2015, 09:00 PM
I went for the first time one day between Christmas and New Year's, so the lines were horrendous but doable. We got there at opening and went straight for Diagonal Alley. Thoroughly enjoyed seeing everything and eating in The Leaky Cauldron. Took the Hogwart's Express to Hogsmeade and saw all the HE attractions there. We were only interested in seeing Harry Potter attractions so we headed out of the park when we finished there. It was approximately 3:30 when we got back to our car. I would think you would have enough time to see all that, the Simpsons and possibly Despicable Me.

Tearin_it_up
02-03-2015, 09:07 PM
A certain other favorite site says my ambitious plan is feasible. I have my doubts, but I'm going to try it. I'm pretty sure I'll have to cut a few attractions out. Our fav is Jurassic Park:number1:

STEP ARRIVAL WAIT DURATION FREE TIME WALK TIME
Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts Edit X 9:10am 28 5 0 1
Diagon Alley Edit X 9:44am 0 60 0 8
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit Edit X 10:52am 24 4 0 3
Transformers: The Ride-3D Edit X 11:23am 25 5 0 6
MEN IN BLACK Alien Attack Edit X 11:59am 15 5 0 1
The Simpsons Ride Edit X 12:20pm 12 8 0 3
E.T. Adventure Edit X 12:43pm 8 8 0 5
TWISTER...Ride It Out Edit X 1:04pm 8 18 0 2
Revenge of the Mummy Edit X 1:32pm 7 5 0 4
Disaster! - A Major Motion Picture Ride...Starring YOU Edit X 1:48pm 13 25 0 1
Hogwarts Express - King's Cross Station Edit X 2:27pm 16 5 0 N/A
Thunder Falls Terrace Edit X 2:49pm 0 30 0 2
Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls Edit X 3:21pm 18 7 0 8
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Edit X 3:54pm 21 6 0 2
Jurassic Park Discovery Center Edit X 4:23pm 16 15 0 4
Dragon Challenge Edit X 4:58pm 15 8 0 10
The Incredible Hulk Coaster Edit X 5:31pm 20 4 0 2
The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man Edit X 5:57pm 9 7 0 6
Jurassic Park River Adventure Edit X 6:19pm 3 9 0 1
Jurassic Park River Adventure Edit X 6:32pm 2 9 0 6

NJGIRL
02-04-2015, 08:33 AM
Don't want to burst your bubble but having been to Universal as many times (Oct, Nov, April) as I have been I can tell you just glancing at your schedule that it is not going to work. If I am reading it correctly that is.

Just an example. Are you saying that you will be waiting for the Simpson attraction for 12 minutes? We always have the unlimited express pass and even with that, the wait is usually 15 to 20 minutes....without the pass it is much longer.

I could probably pick apart most of those wait times but you get the picture from my example. Also, if you have never been there before it can take some time to get the lay of the land.

Tearin_it_up
02-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Yeah I had a feeling it was a generous touring plan. We are going on one of the quieter days, but like I said I imagine I'll have to make some cuts as I compare the clocks. I'll post how she goes

NJGIRL
02-06-2015, 07:03 AM
Yeah I had a feeling it was a generous touring plan. We are going on one of the quieter days, but like I said I imagine I'll have to make some cuts as I compare the clocks. I'll post how she goes

I do hope you get to do as much of the list as possible. I just don't want you to be disappointed if everything doesn't get done. Plus it didn't look like you put aside anytime to stop, look around, and enjoy the surroundings. They have a lot of cool things to see in both parks. The restaurants and food is good too...

After years of visiting Universal (almost every year since 1992) and reading so many posts on INTERCOT I find that most people who don't like Universal or think it's not as fun as Disney are the people who go and rush through the parks or only go to see "one thing". People who say they are not interested in seeing this or that, people who don't like something before even seeing it or trying it out. Most don't give themselves a fair chance to like Universal. I can imagine if I went to Disney with the same mind set, went to the MK and only rode the rollercoasters then said, "well that was boring, I can't understand why people make such a big deal about Disney", most INTERCOTer's would say "what about the Haunted Mansion , Splash Mountain, or POC, you missed most of the fun attractions". And they would be right! If you rush through and try to do both parks in one day, you miss so much of the atmosphere and smaller attractions that are fun to do. If you go and say that you are not interested in experiencing 75% of the park, you are missing out on a lot. Most people who really give it a chance will have a blast and want to come back again.