PDA

View Full Version : Trip report - Nov 13 - 17th Poly people stay at Beach Club - Day 1

DisneyBarb
11-18-2014, 02:19 PM
When - Nov 13 - 17
Where - Beach Club
How - Southwest
Why - DS 16th birthday

My DS and I went to Disney to celebrate his 16th bday (it was in May but he didn't mind waiting).

I made all our ADRs and FP before we left but ended up changing a lot when we were down there.

Had a 7:00 a.m. flight on SW which went smooth. ME had little wait and off we go!

We usually stay at the Poly but decided what a great time to stay somewhere different (cost, construction) so picked the Beach Club due to location.

Online check in didn't seem to make a difference, took about the same amount of time, room wasn't ready so bell service held our carry-ons and off to find some food. We went to Hurricane Hana's and split a counter service. We did not get our drink or dessert so had to ask for it. Food was okay.

Off to Epcot! We wanted to do things we haven't done in a long time on this trip, including our first stop, American Adventure which we both loved.

We had FP for SE, MS and Soarin. Didn't make MS, but always enjoy SE. We had FP for Soarin, probably still a 20 min wait.

This ride makes me so happy and not sure why, I was a bit teary knowing I had 5 days of quality time with DS ahead!

We left the area and went to club cool and just took everything in and then on our way to LeCellier. Great meal and great waiter.

Room was ready by now and we were in 1517 (I requested a ground floor or large balcony). So close to the entrance to Epcot! This was very nice.

I thought room was nice, a bit of wear and tear (mold in the corner of the bathroom and on the door stopper but not a big deal). We had a view of the quieter pool.

We took a rest and then off to MK to meet friends from Christmas party. We met them at TTC (we walked through Epcot and took monorail). We took the ferry, I don't think I have ever taken the ferry and the view of the castle lit up was breathtaking even after all these years. Our friends moved into the area about 5 years ago but haven't been to the parks since the first year.

It was a bit chaotic at the turnstiles, not every turnstile took "paper tickets" (printed from home) and then to get bracelets but all was good.

It was crowded! We made our way to the castle and watched the show (my friend knew someone in it) which was fantastic. We made our way to Mine train and although it said 40 mins it was only about 20. I enjoyed it! It was soo smooth! Everyone was happy and onto the BTMR, 10 min wait, (boys went on twice). Fireworks were about to start so we got cocoa and cookies and watched them from the Columbia house (the sprinklers were on from the top of the roof!).

We did Haunted House and Mickeys Philarmagic and then made our way to front of park for 10:30 parade. We stood right where it ends but means the parade doesn't get there till about 11, we were all tired but loved every minute of it! Said bye to our friends and off to the bus and a good night of sleep! (at this point we had been up 20 hours!).

Overall thoughts -

Loving FP+, nice to know we don't have to run around or if we show up to a park mid-day we will still get on a ride without waiting in a long line.
My magic band never worked the first 2 times at Epcot for some reasons. Always worked at MK and once at Studios it never worked so I had to tell them where my last park was. Not a big deal but have no idea why this happened!

Beach Club - Very nice, room was a nice size, like the double sinks and it was very nice to be so close to Epcot. I miss the ambience of the Polynesian and that will always be my place of choice when at all possible but Beach Club is my strong second!

MVMCP - It seemed very crowded in the streets but the rides were easy to get on. We had been once a few years ago and did not think it was worth the extra money. However it was a chance for our friends to go to the park without paying 100 and the loved it. They were appreciated that we knew where we were going because negotiating the crowd was tough at times. CM were very diligent about checking bracelets which I appreciated

Food - can't complain about free! I was fine that we used 2 credits, it worked out for us this time.

Weather - perfect!

KylesMom
11-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Barb, it sounds like a perfect first day. Smooth flight, great resort location, Epcot and then MK for the party. My DS turned 16 also this year, and I would have LOVED to take him to Disney World! I can imagine you made some very special memories this trip. :mickey:

Glad you are enjoying FP+ your first day . . . and that both LeCellier and the Christmas party with your friends were great experiences. Looking forward to hearing more about your wonderful trip!

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Sounds wonderful, we stayed at the Yacht Club a few weeks ago and my mom had problems with her band at the International Gateway entrance twice...no other problems though. Thanks for the report

faline
11-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Wow!! What a terrific start to your trip!! It will be hard to top this day but I hope you do!!!