PDA

View Full Version : Phase Two - Disney Fantasy Cruise -Day Seven

faline
11-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Today, we are in Falmouth, Jamaica. Our ship backs into the pier. Being at the aft end, it feels like a mini-earthquake is occurring though we don't find the process disturbing.

When we had got to Mexico, we were advised to set our clock back one hour. Last night's Navigator advised us to set the clock ahead one hour. We are going to go to Enchanted Garden for breakfast as I believed we were too late to dine at Royal Court but as we pass by, I see they are still open and serving. This is when I learn I have set my clock ahead too early. It's tonight that I am supposed to move my clock!! I have eggs over easy along with bacon and hash browns. Gene has Eggs Benedict. Our server tell us this is the last time Disney will stop in Jamaica and they have replaced this stop with San Juan, Puerto Rico on future sailings.

After breakfast, we walk off ship. We wander through the enclosed shopping area - much nicer than the equivalent in Cozumel. However, when we leave this area to wander further, the first thing I see I is a **** wandering around the street. We are almost immediately accosted by someone who says "Let me take you in here." I have no idea where/what "in here" is but I'm not going. More of the same follows. We make it two blocks before I insist on turning around.

We wander through some of the shops where I purchase a small carved turtle - probably overpriced despite the "bargain" we are offered. Gene buys two glasses from Margarittaville Jamaica. Along the way, we briefly run into the couple who was at our dining table the evening before and compare shopping notes before moving along.

Having wandered through the shops we were interested in, we returned to the ship, changed, and headed for the pool. We had more interesting conversations with fellow passengers including a couple who are planning a 52 day cruise next year. Turns out, they used to live in a town very near to where we live.

Lunch is from Cabanas. After lunch, I settle into the hot tub for a little bit before taking a nap on the lounge chairs. After such a strenuous afternoon, we head back to our room for showers and to change. It is Pirate Night on board so we are donning our best pirate gear for the occasion.

Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas was docked next to us in port today.

Down in the Main Lobby, we find we can have our pictures taken on the main staircase. There is little, to no, line so we do this. We also have our pictures taken against a ship backdrop. By time we complete this, it is time for dinner.

We are in Enchanted Garden this evening. There are three couples dining this evening. We all arrive almost simultaneously for dinner. I order the Pirates Nest to drink which is a sparkling sweet wine, malibu rum and apple pucker with a maraschino cherry at the bottom of the champagne glass in which it is served. Gene orders Captain's Treasure which is Absolut Mandarin, Peach Schnapps and Orange Juice. Bread is Johnny Cake with Pigeon Pea Relish. Both Gene and I order Pirates Golden "Pot Stickers" as our appetizer. Gene skips the soup but I order the Caribbean-style Conch Chowder. I was torn between Jack Sparrow's BBQ Marinated Beef Short Ribs and the Treasure of the Seas Grill Shrimp and Seared Scallops. Both Gene and I opt for the Short Ribs. One of our dining companions orders both the Short Ribs and the Scallops indicating I can share the seafood plate with her which is lovely of her but this would be far too much food so I do not share that plate. Dessert is rum soaked chocolate cake.

After dinner we head to deck 12 and get drinks. We return to deck 11 and find a location along the starboard rail with at least a partial view of the large funnel screen. Around 10:30, there is a humorous skit which involves Jack Sparrow and lots of losing and regaining a prize. This concludes with fireworks off the starboard side of the ship. Thanks to information from our server, we were in exactly the right location for a terrific view of the fireworks which were bursting right over our head.

While there was to be a midnight dinner buffet this evening, neither one of us were hungry so we headed back off to our room where, once again, we spent some time on our verandah before heading to bed.

Mickey'sGirl
11-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Fantastic! I so appreciate the detail of your reports, Linda!

The time changes seemed to work in your favour today .... especially if it means eggs benedict! :thumbsup:

We do not plan on taking excursions on our trip next month either ... but would like to be able to get off the ship, and get a post card and mail it home if at all possible. Based on the markets you were dropped in, do you think this is doable?

My kids are looking forward to the midnight buffet on Pirate Night ... adolescent boys ... hollow legs. :blush: It's great that your server was able to get you situated properly for the fireworks!

faline
11-18-2014, 09:34 AM
We do not plan on taking excursions on our trip next month either ... but would like to be able to get off the ship, and get a post card and mail it home if at all possible. Based on the markets you were dropped in, do you think this is doable?

I know they have a post office on Castaway Cay and mail sent from there will go with a Castaway Cay postmark. We didn't look for mail facilities at other stops and did not send any postcards while we were on this trip so we also did not inquire on the ship how that would/could/might work.