PDA

View Full Version : Buying dvc

Lloyd
11-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Long time listener first time caller. I've read plenty of posts here, but this is my first post. So my family took our first trip to wdw in sept. Me and my wife have a girl(10) boy (2) and one more on the way. We have been looking into dvc since leaving wdw. My parents own, so I have access to the dvc member site and have done plenty of research. I requested the info from disney the sent the dvc video and the pricing info. We had decided my wife and I were willing to take a weekend without the kids to go down to fla look everything over and probably buy. I called the dvc host yesterday to ask my final questions 1) why go thru disney? They have no GOOD answer 2) is there any incentive to get me to travel to fla to buy ? No incentive ... Every time I find out more info I am left more confused we really like the boardwalk resale is in the $85/point range why would I pay $140/point thru disney they expire at the same time ! Even bay lake tower disney is about $150 resale about $100 ... What am I missing ? Do they not realize there is NO incentive to buy from disney? Or do they not care? Am I missing something?

VWL Mom
11-16-2014, 02:12 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!

The major difference between resale and direct is that when you buy resale you will not be able to use those Vacation Points to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection.

Another difference is when you buy resale your contract goes back to Disney and they have 30 days to decide whether the will take the contract (ROFR) or not. Start to finish resale takes about 60 days whereas direct is about 14 days.

One thing we liked about our original purchase through Disney in 2006 was the ability to select our use year and split one large contract into two smaller ones in case we wanted to sell down the road. In 2012 when we decided to add on we went resale because we already had points so if we lost the contract to ROFR it was no big deal.

As far as incentives, they do run them now and then be it extra points or a dollar reduction but it's never earth shattering. Fact is they really don't need to, sales are doing quite well. Many people buy while they are at Disney and a lot don't know resale exists, they're caught up in the moment.

DizneyRox
11-16-2014, 02:48 PM
There won be any reason to but in FL, vs just doing it through the mail. Resale is very appealing. If you're planning to stay at a DVC honestly there's no reason to look at Disney; and if you want to do something else, rent the points out and use the cash to do what you want. What they pulled from the resale market really is a poor use of the points anyway.

John
11-16-2014, 05:34 PM
Seriously look at resale. If you aren't in a hurry, there are great deals to be had. Contact our sponsor the Timeshare Store and ask to get on their daily mailing list for re-sales.

We bought Hilton Head this March resale. Only got 60 points which gets us 4 nights and 5 days at our home resort, Disney's Hilton Head.

Cost was about $4k and included the first years dues paid by the seller and split fees and closing costs - something not many tell you that you can do.

faline
11-16-2014, 05:37 PM
We bought resale but we did it before Disney changed the rules so we have full access to all the features that Disney has since eliminated from the resale market. We've owned for about 4 years now and have never seriously looked at using the points for something other than a stay at Disney. We were able to complete our purchase through the Time Share Store via telephone, e-mail and snail mail communication. The right of first refusal process produces some anxiety while you are waiting for approval, but other than that, the process of the sale was quite straightforward and easy. Like buying a house, we offered at less than asking price, the sellers countered and we went with the counter offer.

DizneyRox
11-16-2014, 09:31 PM
There won be any reason to but in FL, vs just doing it through the mail.
Holy Crow might be time for a new spell check on my tablet...

Should be, there will be no incentive to get you to Fl to buy, vs just doing it through the mail.

Also, as mentioned, it's a real estate transaction, and all the rules apply. You can negotiate, Disney won't, but resale may.

Don't worry about ROFR either. All it is, is Disney gets first crack at purchasing it for whatever you negotiate, it's not like you pay and they keep the points. They won't buy unless they can turn around and offload it on someone else... If they do, so be it, just move on to another resale, there's plenty.

SBETigg
11-16-2014, 10:14 PM
We consulted Disney and we looked at the resale market. We did the math and took time to consider all options. In the end, what made the most sense for us was to purchase a resale at BLT through the Timeshare Store.

They have been fantastic, very helpful. We've already been through ROFR and we're just waiting for final closing. Yes, it takes more time than going directly through Disney and we don't have the perks of Disney Collection, etc (which doesn't seem to be a great use of points and doesn't matter to us anyway). But we are able to buy more points for the money, which suited us. In the end, you have to consider your needs and vacation desires. Some people will be happier going directly through Disney, but going for a resale suited our needs most. Good luck with your decision!

CanadianWDWFan
11-17-2014, 07:53 AM
We too bought resale and I would do it again with no hesitation. We have only ever used our points for Disney stays so the new restrictions wouldn't affect us. For us buying resale saved us a lot of money and we haven't looked back with any regret.

baldburke
11-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Resale here too! I agree with John, allow yourself enough time to watch for good deals. In my mind a good deal is either banked points available and ready to use or a good discount for waiting 1-2 years to use. Be aware that the resale buying process takes about three months from start to finish. Be sure to allow plenty of time to hunt for deals, complete the purchase process and do a first booking. We'd do resale again for sure as you can't beat the dollar for dollar rates!

Christine
12-07-2014, 10:12 AM
I bought and added on 4 more times all through Disney. I use my DVC for EVERYTHING so I don't want any restrictions. I have used them 3 times in California (not always GC, but Disneyland Hotel which is a collection ) and for 2 cruises and I am currently booking for NYC concierge collection.

So it's really what you see yourself doing with them. If you only want DVC resorts, resale should meet your needs.

Disney does offer member perks from time to time. I especially liked the premium APs that they offered us a year or so ago for $399!

So just think of what you'll use the points for and go by that. Then wait breathlessly until you hear those words "welcome home!" It's heaven!!

Hammer
12-07-2014, 06:39 PM
I bought 2 contracts through DVC resale, one before the restrictions and one after. Even though I can use the one contract for any of the collections, we really don't see ourselves using it for anything other than DVC resorts.

Many will say to buy where you want to stay, but I think that is really only an advantage if you are going to use the 11 month booking window. I knew we would never book earlier than 7 months, so I went with the best price and contract available via resale. We prefer DVC so we can have larger accommodations which allows for everyone to have their own space, as we spend a lot of time at the resort.

If you decide to buy resale, I definitely recommend using The Timeshare Store (http://www.dvc-resales.com/). I used them for both resale purchases and working with them was great. Everything was handled with the utmost efficiency and professionalism. Not to mention that since they are a sponsor of Intercot, you are helping the site by using them. Just be sure to mention Intercot when you speak with them!

Lloyd
12-07-2014, 08:00 PM
We really liked the boardwalk/beach club area while we were there. It's a major buzzkill that even going direct thru disney you only get 25ish years left. We have come to the conclusion that we are just gonna ride it out until there is an offer to good to pass up whether it me direct or resale. I still can't figure out how any could ever possibly have enough points to use it for a cruise though. Thanks for the help feedback was appreciated