PDA

View Full Version : Phase Two - Disney Cruise Phase Six

faline
11-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Today's port is Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands. Here you need to tender to reach shore. Thought about going in for a walk around but the tendering process would seem to take too much time. It was not well explained in our brochure. We decide to spend the day at the pool.

It is raining when we wake up and there are some showers during the day but nothing that interferes with our plans.

We have breakfast at Cabanas. After breakfast, we head to Meridian to meet for the the Art of the Theme tour. Unlike the other one, this one is pretty good.

We ride the aquaduck which is pretty cool. Before we rode, I had checked in with the person who stood by the entrance and asked about bringing my camera (which is waterproof). He told me the only cameras allowed on the ride are the ones that are clipped to your body and allow you to keep your hands free which is not the case with my camera so we did not take it on the ride) I was expecting freezing cold water but, surprisingly, the water isn't half bad. With most of the ship folks ashore, the ride is a walk on. I would have gone again but Gene said he had wrenched his neck a bit on the first ride so we did not not.

After riding the aquaduck, we spend time in the hot tub and the pool, have lunch from cabanas, and have more pool time. I see a sea turtle which was pointed out by a fellow passenger. Back to our room for showers and time on the verandah. Life is tough.

Just a little tidbit about electrical power to your cabin. To enable power, you need to slide your cabin key into a slot just inside the door to your cabin. If you pull the card out, the power will go out. (By the way, almost any card the size of a credit card will work for this purpose).

Tonight, we head to the Disney theater for the stage production of Wishes. It's cute but we both feel it's an advertisement for Disney parks and properties. Gene wanted to check out the Skyline Lounge particularly after information we received during our earlier tour. This lounge has a city backdrop but the city changes every so often. While we were there, backdrops included Paris, London, Barcelona, and Budapest. I had one of their signature drinks which included a glow cube that came home with me. Given the urbane backgrounds, Gene opted for a James Bond style martini.

We finished our drinks and headed to Animators, our assigned dinner rotation for the evening. Only one other couple assigned to our table was present this evening. We are provided with paper placemats with the general outline of a person and asked to draw a figurine within the given boundaries. These drawings are later animated and broadcast on the screens throughout the restaurant at the end of the meal. Quite cute.

Tonight's bread was fig and date ciabatta rolls along with mint and yogurt dip. Appetizer was a sampler platter which included smoked duck breast on duck confit with pickled red onions, sliced mozzarella with basil and cherry tomatoes, dill marinated lobster and shrimp with a mayonnaise and a horseradish cream. Soup was macaroni cheese and baked potato. For dinner, we both selected the peppercorn crusted New York strip. I asked if it was spicy and was told no but found the pepper far too heavy for my liking. Dessert was Princess Jasmine banana bread pudding. Thus far, this was my least favorite meal of the trip. Choices for most courses were extremely limited or non-existent. Our server offered to bring me something else and said he wanted me to eat more next time!

Gene wants to stop into O'Gill's Pub, an Irish style place in the adult entertainment area. Here we catch the end of the World Series game which ties the two teams at three games apiece. One of the crew begins to talk to us about sports and says he is from Liverpool. Once the game is clearly over, he states he had better get on with it and tells us he will be right over there if we have any requests. Until he started signing, I did not know he was the entertainment and that's what he meant by requests!

It's getting late and we head home. Still, we spend some time on our verandah once again before settling in for the night.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-15-2014, 07:29 PM
What a relaxing day! Sorry about dinner though ... sounds like it just didn't work. At least there are options if you leave dinner hungry. :)

KylesMom
11-18-2014, 11:03 AM
Just a little tidbit about electrical power to your cabin. To enable power, you need to slide your cabin key into a slot just inside the door to your cabin. If you pull the card out, the power will go out. (By the way, almost any card the size of a credit card will work for this purpose).
Interestingly enough, the Marriott I just transferred my quarterly sales meetings to has this very option . . . I think it is quite clever!

Skyline Lounge sounds pretty cool. However, it is a bummer that dinner was not quite up to par tonight - I hope tomorrow's tasty treats make up for this one! :mickey: