PDA

View Full Version : New York City subways

Katzateer
11-14-2014, 02:01 PM
We need to get from Penn Station Amtrak 34th st to 59th St Columbus Circle on a weekday morning at 9am.

it looks like a quick ride straight up to Columbus Circle and takes less than 10 minutes to go the 24 or so blocks.

How do you get tickets?? And when you get off an Amtrak train where do you find out what train to take. I think it is an A or C train route.

Hope this is easy. A taxi ride through times square takes forever and it says online the train fare is $2 a person.

John
11-15-2014, 10:51 AM
It's SUPER easy. My son goes to school in Brooklyn and we go into either Penn Station or take MegaBus which is right near Penn Station where they drop off.

In the area where you catch the train, there will be kiosks where you can buy a farecard. Each trip, no matter how far you go in the system is $2.50

You can use cash or credit card to buy the tickets. We usually get a quick $9 (which is $10) card - but in reality, they charge you for the card itself something small, so if you put $10 in, you get less than 4 trips... they rig the system to hope you leave money on the card. :)

Anyway, to get in, you swipe the card with the strip facing towards you - much like a credit card machine and you'll see the green light go on - then you walk thru the gate.

That's it - really simple.

In the last 3-4 months I have rode on about 6-7 different lines all the way from Manhattan to Queens to Brooklyn. If you've never done anything like it, it's a little bit of a culture shock, but it really is a fantastic way to get around super cheap... and it's convenient. Trains run 24/7.

John
11-15-2014, 10:54 AM
BTW, great article on what I was talking about and why you shouldn't put the $10 on the card ;) Though if you are only there a day, it won't matter.

http://gizmodo.com/why-you-should-put-19-05-on-your-metrocard-to-outsmart-1632531219?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_faceboo k&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Katzateer
11-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Thanks! Sounds a lot like DC.

We have had a couple of bad experiences in Philly with the trolleys leaving University City and when I mentioned NY subway my daughters got a look of terror in their eyes. SEPTA is better but Amtrak is the best

John
11-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks! Sounds a lot like DC.

We have had a couple of bad experiences in Philly with the trolleys leaving University City and when I mentioned NY subway my daughters got a look of terror in their eyes. SEPTA is better but Amtrak is the best

LOL - well... as a rider of the DC metro 3 days a week, I wouldn't say it's anywhere near as nice as our system. However, it isn't as bad as folks make it out to be and it's very convenient and cheap!

NJGIRL
11-16-2014, 07:05 PM
I have to agree, as a traveler, the DC Metro is probably the easiest & friendliest system I have ever used.

Hammer
11-18-2014, 12:17 PM
The NYC subway system is pretty easy to follow and it is pretty reasonably priced. Also agree that the DC system is one of the easiest to maneuver, though Boston's system is pretty easy as well.

Cleanest subway system for me was Paris. The first time my sister and I walked into a station, we were amazed at the level of cleanliness! Every station was like that! I really loved their subway system, as well as the high speed train (TGV) which we took to Reims for champagne house tours.

luvdiznee
11-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Agree about the NYC subway system being easy to follow. We were pleasantly surprised during our recent visit to NYC how easy it was to get around. We will be using it on our next trip there as well.

Katzateer
11-20-2014, 08:04 AM
We did not use the subway. Decided to walk and take taxi. Maybe next time:thumbsup:

missymouseworld
11-21-2014, 06:30 AM
Since you were just in the city, a quick question.... friends are going to the Radio City Show around Holiday time. They are taking the train into Penn Station....we have heard different reports and wanted to get clarification. One person said it is a 15-20 minute walk (1 mile or so) to Radio City. Another said you have to take a Taxi and it is too far. BTW, the show is on a Monday morning at 10am.

We don't visit NYC often and need others input. Thanks.

Katzateer
11-21-2014, 10:18 AM
Walking is the best bet. Just make sure they draw a map - I get turned around easily in NYC. From Penn walk up 7th to Times Square and Radio City won't be far. It is not a bad walk(20 minutes sounds about right).

missymouseworld
11-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Thank you. I guess city maps can be found online.