PDA

View Full Version : How to arrange special perk?

tinxmom
11-10-2014, 02:27 PM
We are trying to figure out how to arrange a special perk for our single Mom friend (battling cancer), who is bringing her recently adopted child to the World for Christmas. Would love to have them open the park or be in the parade. Any ideas who to contact or how to arrange this? We have tried a Disney corporate # and have gotten nowhere. I know these perks are usually random, but there must be SOME WAY to arrange for a family in dire circumstances. Any and all ideas welcome - thanks!!!

KylesMom
11-10-2014, 03:25 PM
My heart and prayers go out to your friend who is faced with this awful disease. I hope her upcoming trip is full of magic and wonder.

Unfortunately, I am at a loss on who you would contact to have a special event granted. If you do a web search, there are a handful of companies that assist in granting magic for ill adults, which you may want to reach out to. As mentioned, you usually have to be at the gates extremely early to be selected for the opening ceremony.

Perhaps someone else has some experience with one of these groups who could comment more. I am sorry I can't be of more assistance.

dnickels
11-10-2014, 04:24 PM
It's my understanding that they pick the people to open the park and people to be grand marshals of the parades randomly among guests who are there early. In addition, sad as it is to think, there are probably dozens of guests at Disney every day who are battling different stages of cancer so I don't know if that will factor in.

Kylesmom's suggestion to see about contacting one of the Make a Wish type groups for adults is one avenue. If it were me I think I'd order them a cake to be delivered to their room or ship a gift / wine box to them while they're staying at the resort.

Strmchsr
11-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Disney is bombarded with so many requests like this, every one of them probably deserving, that they just can't grant them. They've stuck to the random method as the only fair way to do things. Make-A-Wish sometimes gets a special perk, but even that isn't a guaranteed thing.

So, instead, what I might suggest is do a special dinner at a favorite restaurant, or favorite style food. Mention to the CMs at the restaurant and they might bring out a special dessert or something. Or pay for one of the special party events where you can really feel spoiled.

Mrs Bus Driver
11-11-2014, 05:39 AM
If your friend is willing there are those celebration buttons she can get. Examples would be birthday, anniversary. She could have one that says personal triumph. My understanding is that cast members will do special things to help you celebrate. You can look it up on the Disney website when planning a vacation. Hope this helps:mickey:

Janmac
11-11-2014, 11:43 AM
I highly recommend the special button, especially if there's a personal triumph one. Disney CMs really really make a person feel special when wearing one of those buttons.

Or perhaps a first time button for her child? Sometimes having extra special times for a kid makes things more special for the parent. Especially when it's about making memories.

Jan