PDA

View Full Version : Identical attractions?

buzznwoodysmom
10-27-2014, 01:54 PM
Are any of the Disneyland attractions identical to its WDW version? While I would love to do and see it all, I am not sure we will have time. If there is anything pretty much identical to WDW we'll likely skip it till later in the day/trip, then go back if we have time.

NewDVCowner
10-27-2014, 03:55 PM
The two that come to mind immediately are Soring and Little Mermaid, both at DCA.

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
10-27-2014, 04:34 PM
Even those attractions, while seemingly identical, are vastly different when you consider the queue as part of the attraction. The Soarin queue theming is very different at both parks (and the queue is much shorter at California Adventure!). In addition, the film is much cleaner at California Adventure - no little spots of fuzz like at WDW.

The queue difference is very noticeable with Mermaid. There is no theming at all in the California Adventure queue (unless you consider colors to be a theme), whereas the WDW version has a very immersive (pun partially intended) theme.

The same applies to Toy Story Midway Mania: minimal theming at California Adventure (but boasting much shorter lines); very well-themed at WDW. Aside from the queue, I cannot point to any difference in the attraction itself.

To me, given the feeling of immersion and the incredible theming throughout the Disney Parks, it would be a shame to skip an attraction that seems to be similar because there really aren't any attractions that are exact duplicates when considering the queue and the attraction as a whole.

BrerGnat
10-27-2014, 09:12 PM
In addition to Soarin and LM, the Muppets 3D and Toy Story Midway Mania are identical. Pooh is similar enough to skip at DL. Teacups can also be skipped.

Mrs Bus Driver
10-28-2014, 06:45 AM
Whatever you do skip, don't skip DL's version of Pirates.

BrerGnat
10-28-2014, 08:22 AM

Or Space Mountain. Or Small World. Or Big Thunder.

;)

BrerGnat
10-28-2014, 08:22 AM

;)

Mrs Bus Driver
10-28-2014, 06:04 PM

;)
You are so right, SM is wonderfully smooth since the 2 year refurb and was always better IMHO. IASW The first time I saw it at WDW I thought you got to be kidding me. And BTM is fun at any park. I will say I do like HM better at WDW also TOT is better at WDW. :mickey:

larjani
03-05-2015, 11:31 AM
I was going to say, don't miss the usual E-ticket rides as I like them better at DL than WDW, However I just realized I haven't been to DL in 10 years. My opinions may not be up to date. DL is smaller than WDW, so you may have more time to see stuff than you think.

Patricia
03-05-2015, 04:05 PM
I prefer Splash at WDW too, but would hate not to ride it on either coast. I find the Disneyland one seems rather dull inside, lacking in details or something.. I can never put my finger on it.

Lindsey
04-01-2015, 12:31 PM
I prefer Splash at WDW too, but would hate not to ride it on either coast. I find the Disneyland one seems rather dull inside, lacking in details or something.. I can never put my finger on it.

I totally get what you are saying. It seems like there is less going on in the scenes in the DL version. I prefer the WDW version, but of course I ride both when at either park. :)

BrerGnat
04-01-2015, 01:05 PM

I agree. The Disneyland one has a lot more time outside so that might be why the inside scenes are kinda lacking. I love them both though. I actually prefer the seating at DL and LOVE that there is a single rider option there.

2Epcot
04-02-2015, 03:16 PM
DL is smaller than WDW, so you may have more time to see stuff than you think.

Only smaller is size of parks. Disneyland and CA Adventure combined, have more rides than WDW.

BrerGnat
04-02-2015, 04:22 PM
Only smaller is size of parks. Disneyland and CA Adventure combined, have more rides than WDW.

Yup. I still haven't done everything!

manutd1
05-10-2015, 09:14 PM
Agreed.

GeorgeOfTheJungle
05-20-2015, 12:22 PM
I'd vote not to skip Teacups! Disneyland's outdoor version is so much more appealing than being under a tent. Especially at night. :mickey:

BrerGnat
05-20-2015, 12:33 PM
I'd vote not to skip Teacups! Disneyland's outdoor version is so much more appealing than being under a tent. Especially at night. :mickey:

Agree! I think the Mad Tea Party is SO beautiful. It is a great photo op.

BriarRose0708
05-21-2015, 05:04 PM
How about Peter Pan? Is it similar enough to skip? With no FP option and knowing how popular it is at WDW I don't fancy waiting in line as there are other attractions I'd like to get to first.

BrerGnat
05-21-2015, 06:10 PM
How about Peter Pan? Is it similar enough to skip? With no FP option and knowing how popular it is at WDW I don't fancy waiting in line as there are other attractions I'd like to get to first.

NO! Do NOT skip it. I think it is WAY better at DL. They are also enhancing it with "extra" magic for the 60th anniversary.

MNNHFLTX
05-21-2015, 11:07 PM
NO! Do NOT skip it. I think it is WAY better at DL. They are also enhancing it with "extra" magic for the 60th anniversary.I agree. The DL Peter Pan feels much more up close and personal.

NewDVCowner
05-22-2015, 12:10 PM
I agree. The DL Peter Pan feels much more up close and personal.

Just head to it first thing in the morning and get through the line- it stacks up FAST though.

manutd1
05-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Just head to it first thing in the morning and get through the line- it stacks up FAST though.
Yes...cause no FP for it. And, late at night....usually, no more than 15 min wait, If you do it last before park closes.

dixielandings
06-21-2015, 10:27 PM
We just returned from a week at DL!! LOVE!

It's hard to answer this - as many have pointed out, even the seemingly smallest difference can be something you don't want to miss. Remember that the lines are generally shorter at DL (Radiator Springs Racers aside) so you'll probably have more time than you think.

Having said that - the Carousel, Snow White (assuming you saw at WDW before it closed)...Pooh (different on the outside, pretty much the same on the inside). Star Tours. Little Mermaid (same as before - different outside, same inside). Soarin' (although I can't advocate skipping this one EVER).

I absolutely love DL - I could easily have stayed another week and not tired of any of it. The changes to DCA are wonderful and the old beautiful stand-by, Disneyland - still brings tears to my eyes. Everything is so charming, so homey...so welcoming. With the crowds and heat at WDW (and I love me some WDW), I would always rather be at DL. :mickey: