PDA

View Full Version : VWL to FT Wilderness

Disney4us2
10-20-2014, 08:50 AM
We are going to be staying at WL. Wanted to visit Ft. Wilderness. Is there a walking path or do I need to drive? Is there boat or bus transportation from WL to FT. Wilderness?

Any area in the Villas to request... close to pool etc? Is the walk from the far end of the Villas to the elevator a long one like Kidani?

VWL Mom
10-20-2014, 09:11 AM
There is a wooded walking path between the two properties, probably 15-20 minutes at a leisurely pace. The path is not lit at night though. There is both boat and bus transportation between the two also.

The hallways are quite long. I usually ask to be close to the elevators not only for the convenience but to avoid being over the dumpsters at the end of the hallway. We stayed there once and awoke every morning to the sound of trash pick up. :(

vicster
10-20-2014, 09:46 AM
The boat is the best way to go from WL to Ft. Wilderness

Hammer
10-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Marci, besides the path not being well lit, it is probably not that easy to drive an ECV on it. I agree that the boat transportation is the way to go. They are the larger boats where you can drive you ECV right onboard.

Disney4us2
10-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks!!

Christine, i was wondering about the ecv and boat to Ft. Wilderness and back.

Jessica is really into nature and looking for deer. That is why I was asking about the pathway. Is it dirt or paved?

Goofeygal
10-20-2014, 01:46 PM
The walking path is a great way to get to FW. It is a very pretty and relaxing walk.

Pirate Granny
10-20-2014, 07:58 PM
It is not paved and I think the boats that go between are the small ones.

Hammer
10-21-2014, 12:41 AM
It is not paved and I think the boats that go between are the small ones.

The boat which goes between WL, Ft. Wilderness and MK is the larger boat like what is used at the Epcot resorts and Epcot and DHS and can accommodate wheelchairs. The small boat goes between the Contemporary and WL and is not wheelchair accessible.

dnickels
10-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Thanks!! Is it dirt or paved?

I see someone said it's not paved, but I'm 99.9% certain that the path from Wilderness Lodge to Ft. Wilderness campground is paved. I've biked the a number of times and I'm certain I would have remembered it being gravel or sand. There are other unpaved trails in the area, but I'm certain that one is paved. It's about a mile and flat as a pancake, your ECV would be fine.

Your best chance to see deer in that area is going to be right at dawn or dusk.

Janmac
10-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Driving to Fort Wilderness requires parking in the Outpost parking lot - at the other end of the resort from the Pioneer Hall area. Once parked you would wait for an internal bus to take you to your destination at Fort Wilderness.

There is a paved road between Wilderness Lodge and the Pioneer Hall area - this is what the bus traveled on. I believe I saw that this bus connection was discontinued. 407 WDW RIDE should be able to give you updated info on transportation.

There is also a jogging path but I don't know if it's paved. There used to be a Segway tour at Fort Wilderness. Wouldn't these require a fairly smooth pathway?

The bigger, roll-on boat goes from MK, Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. The small, climb down in launch, goes between the Contemporary, Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge.

The boat dock is near the Pioneer Hall area.

Jan