PDA

View Full Version : Trails End Buffet

Disney4us2
10-20-2014, 08:43 AM
We have never been to Ft. Wilderness or Trails End.

Just wonderng if it is worth going there. How is the buffet. I know it's not fancy... but is it good or at least decent?

Janmac
10-20-2014, 12:38 PM
It's plain food. Very kid friendly. We really like the cold shrimp. There's chili, pizza, I think fried chicken. Or used to be. We haven't been there in a year or maybe two. We try to eat there every trip.

The décor is rustic. Not fancy at all. Lots of knotty wood, red gingham. They do have a nice Christmas tree in season but it sure crowds the tables.

If you like the signature dining, perhaps Trail's End would be a disappointment.

The campground has a great playground beside the building that has Crockett's Tavern and Trail's End Kitchen. The Tavern has a wide porch with rocking chairs. We like to grab a beverage and rock.

Next to the Tavern/Kitchen is the Pioneer Hall with the Hoop De Do Revue. Across from these is the Trading Post which has some souvenirs, some foodstuffs for the campers, milk, etc.

Also, there used to be and may still be, the barn that houses the big horses. It is interesting to look into, if it's still there. Disney changes things up.

In this area you can get a carriage or wagon ride as well.

If you get an internal bus you can go to the other Trading Post complex which is where the sing along, marshmallow roast and movie is. About dusk. Look at the campground thread for the movie listing. There is also bike rental.

To get to Trail's End you would either take a boat from MK to the campground marina, which is nearest the restaurant. Or take a bus from any park, or drive your car, to the Outpost, which is the entrance to the campground. There you wait for an internal bus to take you to either the central area with the movie or the Pioneer Hall area where Trail's End is.

Jan

busterthebronco
10-20-2014, 12:51 PM
It's yummy, and a great deal.
The cornbread is sweet and delicious!
Not up to current standards as far as atmoshpere, it was an originol resort i believe, but worth the time!
if you go during Christmas, rent a golf cart (now!) and tour the property. people go "all out" with decorations!
oh, they have SWEET TEA!:thumbsup:

Disney4us2
10-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Thanks....

We will be there in April, so no holiday decor. I was looking for something on the relaxing, inexpensive side. This sounds perfect.

Do I need ADR's?

busterthebronco
10-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Not really. I guess if you're eating at a peak time or have a large group.
We eat earlier than most (5:30-6:00) and make an ADR but just because we suffer from OCD.:bang:

kakn7294
10-20-2014, 04:32 PM
We ate there in June and enjoyed it. The building itself is very dated with a 1970's Western theme but the service was great, the food was good, and it was relaxing. You very likely won't need an ADR but we made one anyway.

cer
10-20-2014, 04:55 PM
I do not know if you are planning on dinner or lunch, but I read somewhere (so you will want to check to be sure) that at lunch they do not have the buffet. Double check on that, especially if you are going for the buffet.

mydisneygirls
10-22-2014, 10:38 AM
We are here for the first time on our last trip. It was okay (not the worst I've had) and it was less expensive then most table service restaurants. I don't think we'd go every trip, but glad we tried it.

DizneyRox
10-22-2014, 02:10 PM
It's a hidden gem. Everyone I know makes a point to go there. It's pretty much comfort food. Staff has always been great, and depending on the time it may be busy. We used to travel during the summer and I've seen long waits. Lots to do around the area though, so it's never been a bad wait.

Shares a kitchen with the Hoop Dee Doo, so the fried chicken and ribs may seem familiar if you're been there.

SingingLights
10-23-2014, 07:08 PM
We have eaten there often, both for lunch and dinner. We have even taken the launch from MK over for lunch instead of staying in the park. Very family friendly and home style cooking. Enjoy

LandFan
10-24-2014, 10:13 AM
We like it there - mainly because you can take a boat over and back for a nice relaxing time out and it is laid back and quiet. The food they do have is good.