PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland dining?

buzznwoodysmom
10-17-2014, 08:50 AM
First time going to Disneyland. Any "not to miss places" to dine?

We will only be there for 3 nights so we won't have a ton of meals there, but I do want to make the most of it.

Also, are there any locations that I would need advanced reservations for? I know that DL is much more laid back than WDW, but I'm not sure if I need reservations for some of the more popular/hard to get dining locations.

Melanie
10-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Although it's not a must for me every time, I do recommend Blue Bayou for first timers and absolutely think it's worth experiencing at least once. It's very much about atmosphere and dining somewhat within the attraction.

Another Disneyland classic is Carnation Cafe. It's so cool to dine 'on' Main Street. Breakfast is my favorite.

Not sure if your boys are still into character meals, but Goofy's Kitchen is fun (and loud) and Storyteller's Cafe (at Grand Californian) is always nice.

Another mention is Flo's Cafe. This is counter service, but I was surprised at how good it was, and the restaurant is so cute.

NewDVCowner
10-17-2014, 11:16 AM
First time going to Disneyland. Any "not to miss places" to dine?

We will only be there for 3 nights so we won't have a ton of meals there, but I do want to make the most of it.

Also, are there any locations that I would need advanced reservations for? I know that DL is much more laid back than WDW, but I'm not sure if I need reservations for some of the more popular/hard to get dining locations.

I would suggest the Blue Bayou in Disneyland mostly because of the location - it's in the Pirates ride. The last time I went I found the food just okay, but getting to sit there and watch the boats go by was a lot of fun. I've gone at lunch time and have booked one of the first reservations of the day and request to be seated at the water. I've never had an issue getting that request. That is a restaurant that you should get reservations for. I also like, in terms of sit down, Cathey Circle at DCA. Again, another one that you'll want reservations for.

In terms of counter service, though, I don't think you could go wrong with most places. I find that the counter service food at Disneyland and DCA is better than WDW. Take a look at the menus and see what appeals to you. I always like the Hungry Bear Diner near Splash Mountain. Their fried green tomato sandwich are good and they have good burgers. Rancho de Zorcho (and I think I'm butchering the spelling) is a pretty decent Mexican place next to Big Thunder. At DCA the only one that I'd suggest avoiding is the Chinese place on Pacific Wharf. I can't remember it's name but the food was pretty bad. I do like the Boudine bakery at the Wharf. They have soup or salads in bread bowls, as well as sandwiches. The line here builds quickly, though. If you want a bread bowl go there. The two places that serve bread bowls at Disneyland both seem to have very stale bread. I also like the pizza and pasta place back near Goofy's Sky School at DCA but it is pretty basic flat bread pizza and pasta choices. They're cooked well, but they're nothing out of the ordinary. The V8 café in Carsland is actually pretty good too, both for breakfast and lunch/dinner.

Also, whenever you walk into the Ghirardelli shop in DCA they hand you a chocolate to sample. I may or may not walk through there a few times a day just for the free sample. :secret:

I don't spend time in Downtown Disney so I can't say anything about the restaurants there but at the Grand Californian there's a counter service restaurant called White Water Snacks that's pretty good (close to the back entrance to DCA) and at the Disneyland Hotel there's Tangaroa Terrace (counter service), near the pool, that I think is very good, and it's right next to Trader Sams bar where you can get a nice adult beverage.

Melanie
10-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Agree with Aryn - Disneyland has amazing counter service.

buzznwoodysmom
10-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Blue Bayou sounds like a place we'd like to try. Although it sounds like it's supposed to be a Cajun/Louisiana restaurant, yes? We normally steer clear of anything claimimg to be Louisiana or Cajun cuisine anywhere but home but I think we'll give this one a try just for the ambiance. How far in advanced are we allowed to make dining reservations? Do I do this online or is there a number to call?

buzznwoodysmom
10-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Another question. Any recommendations for a good first night dinner? It can be at the resorts or at downtown disney. We typically do Ohana on our first nights in WDW. Looking or something that will stand out as a good first time experience.

My kids are getting older so not sure we would do a character meal, unless there are any really great ones that are recommended.

Melanie
10-17-2014, 01:57 PM
It's available online now. Easy! You can make them up to 60 days in advance.

I would definitely go into it to enjoy the atmosphere and experience. You can get a yummy snack later. lol

Melanie
10-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Hmmm. First night? Maybe Storyteller's at GCH (only character meal for breakfast) or the PCH Grill at Paradise Pier. I'd normally recommend Ralph Brennan's in DTD, but...... lol

buzznwoodysmom
10-17-2014, 02:06 PM
You can get a yummy snack later. lol

Snacks??!! We love snacks!!!

Any unique, Disneyland exclusive snacks we should know about?

VacationDisney
10-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Wine Country Trattoria was amazing when we ate there a few years ago:cloud9:

We also like the Carnation Cafe for breakfast:thumbsup:

Have a great time!

Disney_pups2
10-19-2014, 04:28 AM
We loved the Blue Bayou. It was a comfortable, "entertaining" atmosphere with great food. There wasn't anything I could complain about except the wait. We waited even with reservations. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't a short wait either. We also tried Carthay Circle and that is one of the "dining Package" restaurants. We also loved the food at Carthay. Carthay is a more mature atmosphere. You feel under dressed as you enter the foyer/lounging area. While you wait to be seated upstairs, you sit in this lounge area and can order drinks and just relax until it is your turn. There is an elevator in this restaurant also, just in case you have anyone that doesn't like or can't do stairs for some reason.

badkitty
10-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Snacks??!! We love snacks!!!

Any unique, Disneyland exclusive snacks we should know about?

Definitely Mickey-shaped beignets. :mickey: I think you can only find these in New Orleans Square at the Mint Julep Bar (a small walk-up window behind the French Market near the train station). They have also had flavored ones for the holidays so you might still be able to get gingerbread beignets.

Be sure to check out Jolly Holiday Bakery for other sweet treats. I have had a Matterhorn shaped coconut macaroon there before. Yum!

badkitty
10-19-2014, 03:09 PM
One of my favorite counter service eats is the Riverbelle Terrace. They serve turkey craved right in front of you and you can sit near the Rivers of America. Great scenery. I also enjoy breakfast there. They make Mickey-shaped pancakes. :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
10-20-2014, 12:13 AM
One of my favorite dishes is the Chicken Fusilli at Red Rockett's Pizza Port (counter-service). Delicious and a decent portion! As far as restaurants I would recommend Storytellers, especially with kids. Steakhouse 55 is also a special place, full of history, although it's not really oriented towards kids.

buzznwoodysmom
10-23-2014, 10:02 PM
One of my favorite dishes is the Chicken Fusilli at Red Rockett's Pizza Port (counter-service). Delicious and a decent portion! As far as restaurants I would recommend Storytellers, especially with kids. Steakhouse 55 is also a special place, full of history, although it's not really oriented towards kids.

My kids are 14 and 12, so they are more interested in good food, rather than fun and characters these days.

Cinderelley
10-24-2014, 11:45 PM
Blue Bayou is a must do for me.

PCH grill has the kitchen sink if you guys enjoy that at Disney World.