PDA

View Full Version : Villas at the Grand Floridian Review

Hammer
10-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Cast
Christine- your Accommodations moderator
Cheryl- my sister
Resort- Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian, 2 bedroom villa, standard view

Our family likes to book larger accommodations when we travel. The main reason is we usually travel with our Mom who uses a wheel chair to get around and it makes a room very cramped. This way Mom has her own space. We spend time at our resort. It is almost never “just a place to shower and sleep” for our family. It is a part of the overall vacation for us.

Mom was originally supposed to join us, but due to health issues, she wasn't able to join us (and sadly, her days of being able to go to Disney with us are most likely over). However, we could not change the size of our accommodations or our travel dates, so we kept the 2 bedroom for 2 people. We ended up loving having the space and it kept 2 sisters from killing each other as we each had our own space! Since we have the points, we think we will book 2 bedrooms from now on for our Food and Wine trip, since it is our longer WDW trip.

Now, onto the review. I absolutely loved this place! The configuration worked so well for us. When you enter the villa, you have the option of going left or right down a hallway, one bedroom to the right, the other to the left. It was like they were in separate wings, which is nice for privacy, especially if you are travelling with a group or maybe the parents want some Mommy-Daddy time in the evening away from the kids. My sister had to take a couple of morning conference calls and I didn't hear a thing in my room and she couldn't hear my TV.

The decor of the bedrooms, bathrooms and living room was beautiful. There are Disney touches, but it was subtle, which is our preference. As we had reserved a wheelchair accessible room for Mom, we did not have the claw foot style tub in the master bath, but that was fine. You get the Sea Salt H2O products like at the regular GF hotel, which I loved! Bought a bottle of the Sea Salt body wash to bring back home! The kitchen was just the right size and I really liked the banquette style kitchen table. The appliances were nice stainless steel by GE Profile, though we didn't cook a thing except make Cuban coffee ;) ! We had a standard view room, but we could sit out on the balcony and watch the monorail go by (which did most evenings before going to bed).

The staff was fantastic! Check in and concierge are combined, so you sit at one of the 3 concierge desks and they take care of everything. We were able to check in and verify our cabana reservation at the same time. Bell staff took care of holding our bags (including our refrigerated items) and everything was delivered promptly when we called. My sister and I each use our own credit cards on our magic bands (we did the same thing when there were cards). This is the first year in over 4 years that there wasn't a single billing error!

I can’t think of anything we didn't like about the Villas at Grand Floridian! This will definitely be our 1st choice for DVC accommodations! I took pictures of our Villa, which Nanci from Magical Journeys will be posting onto the Magical Journeys website.

pox24
10-17-2014, 08:19 AM
I could not agree more.We have had the good fortune to have stayed there twice already and plan to book a 2BR for a week next year with all the grandkids. The decor, parking, pool, staff, well everything is 1st class. I particularly like the fact it is away from the hub bub from the main hotel. The Spa and the delightful walk to the Polynesian also makes this place special. :thumbsup:

faline
10-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Can't wait to get an opportunity to stay here! Thanks for the report!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Sounds wonderful:mickey:

magicofdisney
10-17-2014, 10:48 AM
I almost always stay in larger accommodations if I have the opportunity. Even if I do only sleep and shower there, it makes night times so MUCH more relaxing for me. I can imagine how well that worked out for you and your sister. My Mom too may not be visiting Disney again and she used to be my main travel partner when I took the kids. I'm not sure we'll ever stay in a villa but I can dream, can't I? :mickey: I also love the idea of subtle Disney touches. The overabundance can be fun, especially with kids, but I enjoy the sophisticated minimalism when it's offered.

brownie
10-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Glad you had a good stay! Thanks for sharing.