PDA

View Full Version : MDE app or fp+?

Janmac
10-13-2014, 06:37 PM
I've been reading that stand by lines - where they still exist :D - are long. And fp+ is being given as the reason.

After reading another thread on this board about the MDE app wait times, I'm wondering how much that has contributed to stand by wait times?

Jan

Strmchsr
10-13-2014, 07:22 PM
I can definitely say that rides that did not used to have FP but now do (like Imagination, POTC, HM, etc) now have MUCH longer standby lines than previously. Whether that is due to FP+ or increased crowds or both I don't know but I definitely think FP+ has a big part to play in it.

mrte62
10-16-2014, 07:54 PM
I can definitely say that rides that did not used to have FP but now do (like Imagination, POTC, HM, etc) now have MUCH longer standby lines than previously. Whether that is due to FP+ or increased crowds or both I don't know but I definitely think FP+ has a big part to play in it.

Agree - saw this all last week.

Janmac
10-17-2014, 09:09 AM

Still wondering (confused?).
The previously non FP rides that are now FP are more crowded.
Because of FP+ the wait times are available on the MDE app.
Guests now have a way of checking wait times without having to go to the attraction.

If Imagination, PoTC or HM didn't have FP their wait times wouldn't be posted on the MDE app?

Are there any rides that are not FP+?

Jan

Strmchsr
10-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Wait times are posted on MDE, and yes guests can check those, but with a limit on the number of FP you can get you pretty much have to do standby for a number of rides if you want to get to experience them. Prior to FP+ I never saw POTC with more than a 20 min wait except during the busiest times. Last week it was 40-60 on a regular basis. FP was almost walk on. The line was all standby because they only have 1 line open now for standby where thye used to have 2. Cut that 40-60 min in half (2 standby lines instead of 1) and you're back to the 20-30 min wait you used to see during moderately busy times like last week.

Yes, there are some rides without FP+. Those still seem to flow pretty smoothly.

JabberJaws
10-17-2014, 12:33 PM
I think Strmchsr is dead one. We noticed this during our trip last week/weekend. Rides like POTC that used be to 20 min max during the offseason are now 40 min + at any given point during the day. I mean, while we were there, even SSE had a 25 min wait.

I do think crowds have increased, especially during the offseason as Disney runs all kinds of specials and promotions. That being said, you can clearly see FP+ has had an impact on standby lines across all of the parks.

Polynesian Dweller
10-17-2014, 10:48 PM

We've been looking at this issue this week. We don't think it's FP+ doing this if it actually is really happening. The line wait times we've been seeing aren't any longer than we have seen in the past. The crowds are definitely heavier than the past few years and that will be causing some effect. But the lines are not unusually long from what we've seen over 24 years.

ransam
10-18-2014, 03:01 AM
I really hate the FP+

Janmac
10-20-2014, 12:25 PM
Wait times are posted on MDE, and yes guests can check those, but with a limit on the number of FP you can get you pretty much have to do standby for a number of rides if you want to get to experience them. Prior to FP+ I never saw POTC with more than a 20 min wait except during the busiest times. Last week it was 40-60 on a regular basis. FP was almost walk on. The line was all standby because they only have 1 line open now for standby where thye used to have 2. Cut that 40-60 min in half (2 standby lines instead of 1) and you're back to the 20-30 min wait you used to see during moderately busy times like last week.

Yes, there are some rides without FP+. Those still seem to flow pretty smoothly.

Ok. If I understand what you're saying: the number of folks in standby isn't necessarily larger. That number is being funneled into a smaller space - one line instead of two. Resulting in a longer line and the impression of more people waiting. Which is more than an impression since loading takes twice as long, loading standby from only one line.

It occurs to me that we can't separate fp+ issues from the MDE wait time app effects.

Jan

Strmchsr
10-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Ok. If I understand what you're saying: the number of folks in standby isn't necessarily larger. That number is being funneled into a smaller space - one line instead of two. Resulting in a longer line and the impression of more people waiting. Which is more than an impression since loading takes twice as long, loading standby from only one line.

Yeah, exactly. I do think there are more people than there used to be, but in general even if you have the same number of people if 2 lines are being funneled into 1 then you're going to have longer lines. It's like what happens on the interstate - if I-75 normally has 2 southbound lanes and 1 is closed for construction/accident then you end up with a huge backup. Same number of people but being put into 1 less line. How in the world Disney thought putting a FP line with rides that normally never needed it was a good idea is beyond me.

Figment104
10-21-2014, 01:53 PM

I totally agree that FP+ is definitely playing a role in the longer wait times that we saw last week. I couldn't get over how many times i saw a wait for SE that was 30+ mins, heck there was a 20 min wait for Living with the Land, I've never seen more than a 10 min wait for that. Pirates was a joke with how long that wait was, plus from what we saw it kept breaking down which didn't help the situation either. Their are aspects of FP+ I liked, but for the most part I wasn't a big fan of it.