PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else nervous about flying? - Ebola

magicofdisney
10-10-2014, 05:04 PM
My husband travels by air at least half the month for work. Since Ebola has come to America, via air travel, I'm becoming more anxious about his commute. In fact, I have a trip coming up and I'm somewhat apprehensive about flying myself. Now we have airline cabin cleaners going on strike for fear of contracting the disease. I am comforted that no one else has come down with any symptoms that was in contact with the first victim to die in the U.S. However, it feels like just a matter of time before we see other cases since the U.S. isn't restricting travel from the infected regions (at least not that I'm aware of when writing this).

BrerGnat
10-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Uh, no. The flu worries me MUCH more. Ebola is pretty hard to contract.

DizneyRox
10-10-2014, 06:24 PM
I'd bet the chance of crashing is higher than the chances of getting Ebola.

Itchy
10-10-2014, 06:33 PM
From what I have heard from medical folks is that the disease is transmitted through contact with bodily fluids. So unless you drink after someone or handle the persons bodily fluids without proper protection you can get the disease.

When flying I would just use the same precautions that you normally do and you should be fine.

Hope this helps..:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-10-2014, 06:47 PM
No. The only good thing about Ebola is that it doesn't transmit easily, and a person will have symptoms when they are contagious.

You need to be in pretty close contact, it isn't airborne.

I can understand people being nervous though, this is new and it is pretty scary when you read the news reports.

NJGIRL
10-11-2014, 01:25 PM
I understand that it is not easily contracted but I still think with any kind of outbreak in foreign countries, air travel should be temp suspended to avoid world wide spread.

brad192
10-11-2014, 03:11 PM
You need to be in pretty close contact, it isn't airborne.

Yet. Viruses mutate all the time, and Ebola has the potential to mutate into an airborne variety. That's why the WHO and CDC are so concerned about it.

A great movie on worldwide pandemics and how they spread is "Contagion". Scared the Hoo-Ha out of me, and I've never looked at germs the same way. Very pertinant, given the real-life situation we're in now.

Disney Doll
10-11-2014, 09:01 PM
A great movie on worldwide pandemics and how they spread is "Contagion". Scared the Hoo-Ha out of me, and I've never looked at germs the same way. Very pertinant, given the real-life situation we're in now.

I watched this movie while away on a work trip. I noticed every single cough on that flight home, lol. However, it's just a movie. It's hyped up for entertainment.

magicofdisney
10-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Yet. Viruses mutate all the time, and Ebola has the potential to mutate into an airborne variety. That's why the WHO and CDC are so concerned about it.

Despite the requisite condescending response in this thread, this ^ is what I find alarming. And considering the mortality rate of Ebola, I'll take my chances with the flu.

NJGIRL
10-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Plus you can get a shot for the flu before hand.

PirateLover
10-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Here's the thing: we are told that you can't catch ebola from sitting next to someone, yet those who are being monitored are told not to fly or take public transportation. If someone is exhibiting symptoms, it is possible to catch it. Yes, it is much less contagious than the flu because it is not airborne. If someone on a plane with the flu sneezes, there is a chance everyone on the plane can catch it. Ebola, however, IS carried in droplets. So if the person next to you has it and sneezes, there's a chance you could get it. If you are young and healthy you will not die of the Flu. It preys on the young and elderly. Ebola is indiscriminate. It kills people of all ages and the survival rate is somewhere between 30-50% I realize this thread was posted a few days ago, before we found out a nurse who was treating an ebola patient was allowed to fly despite having a fever (she ended up having ebola herself), so I get the fear that is building. I don't think there's a need for a hysterical panic, but I don think there's a need to be aware and too many are quick to brush it off.

princessgirls
10-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Ughhh... Ebola.....

The CDC hasn't a clue. Look, a person actually called in to ask about it, telling them she had contact with Thomas Duncan and was running a slight temp, and they said No, Problem, you can fly on a commerical airline. I doubt they really know how people are getting it.

It's here, hopefully not to stay.

Julie:mickey:

joonyer
10-16-2014, 05:24 PM
If you are worried about contracting Ebola while flying., then you should never even consider visiting a theme park. There are no checks in place to prevent people with symptoms from entering the parks, and people smear their own bodily fluids and germs all over the hand rails and other surfaces on the attractions.

Now they I've given you the willies, just realize that you are much, much more likely to be killed in an auto accident or even struck by lightning, than you are of contracting Ebola, unless you are in west Africa.

MNNHFLTX
10-16-2014, 05:45 PM
No, I'm not worried--yet.

NJGIRL
10-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Now they I've given you the willies, just realize that you are much, much more likely to be killed in an auto accident or even struck by lightning, than you are of contracting Ebola, unless you are in west Africa.

As of today that statement is correct.....but the more people who have it and move around the country the more of a chance it will spread....The above statement was probably true in West Africa too at one point.

I am not in the medical field and don't claim to be a dr but I don't think the CDC was taking this serious enough. That man from West Africa should have been put in a hospital that trained for Ebola. I also think flights from West Africa should be suspended for now.

magicofdisney
10-17-2014, 10:09 AM
The difference between being in a theme park and being on a plane is substantial. On a plane, you're stuck for however long that flight last while the air is being re-circulated. In a theme park, the mall, a movie theater, etc. I have the option of walking away.

I seriously do not understand why that second nurse was authorized to travel. I feel the CDC's and our government's overconfidence and lack of urgency gave everyone a false sense of security. You may have already read or heard this discussion, but look at the protective gear we were using verses those in Africa. :confused:

joonyer
10-17-2014, 07:45 PM
The difference between being in a theme park and being on a plane is substantial. On a plane, you're stuck for however long that flight last while the air is being re-circulated. In a theme park, the mall, a movie theater, etc. I have the option of walking away.

That's true for an airborne virus, but Ebola is not communicable except by direct contact/transfer of bodily fluids. In a theme park you are much more likely to touch surfaces that many other people have touched, i.e. handrails in queues, etc. Then, you touch your fingers to your mouth and well, transfer happens. You can avoid much of that "touching" on a plane.

Janmac
10-18-2014, 01:29 PM
No, I'm not worried--yet.

Beth, don't you work in a hospital? Have policies changed?

That's true for an airborne virus, but Ebola is not communicable except by direct contact/transfer of bodily fluids. In a theme park you are much more likely to touch surfaces that many other people have touched, i.e. handrails in queues, etc. Then, you touch your fingers to your mouth and well, transfer happens. You can avoid much of that "touching" on a plane.

I do avoid touching handrails in queues as much as possible. As much as possible I do not touch my face without previously cleaning my hands. I do this whenever I'm traveling, tho.

The thing I read about Ebola some years ago was that it spread so quickly it usually ran out of hosts before it could spread from village to village. Apparently this is not the case any more.

Jan

Janmac
10-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Despite the requisite condescending response in this thread, this ^ is what I find alarming. And considering the mortality rate of Ebola, I'll take my chances with the flu.

Genna, I got curious so I did some looking around on the internet.

We've heard about the mortality rate of Ebola, up to 90% when untreated. With treatment that percent drops considerably.

Another rate to be aware of is the R0 value, which is the number of people infected by a person. Or how contagious is the disease. With Ebola, this is 2. With SARS the number is 5, mumps is 10 and measles is 18. One person with measles infects 18 other people. Polio has an R0 value of 5 - 6. I remember how thankful people were when that vaccine became available. Smallpox had a value of 2 - 4.

Another problem is that with flu, a person can be infectious and still feel well enough to go to work and help infect those other 4 or 5 or 18 people. Apparently this is not the case with Ebola.

Also apparently, with the decrease in parents wishing to vaccinate their kids, and the lack of a cure for measles, we are poised for a measles epidemic. I remember having measles. I didn't even feel sick when the rash appeared but wow, I did get very sick before I got better. The too pale complexion, weak shaky legs, kind of sick and that was after I was getting better.

I'm unclear about posting links here on Intercot. If you'd like the links of the articles I read, pm me and I'll send them to you.

Jan

magicofdisney
10-18-2014, 04:31 PM
I realize this isn't airborne. After re-reading my posts it seems that's the impression I'm giving. However, I can say I would not willingly go on a flight with someone who had been caring for an Ebola patient. I was simply wondering if anyone else had those concerns. I think it's a legitimate question. Obviously not everyone agrees.

There is a reason a strain of this contagion is stored under lock and key. And now that it's crossing boarders, there's nothing wrong with taking extra precautions.

Additionally, I'm extremely grateful to be living in a country with top-notch medical care facilities. I know the advantage we have in that and I think the success rate of survival is stronger. That doesn't negate my concerns for the potential spread of this disease.

ransam
10-25-2014, 04:51 AM
From what I have researched. You have a better chance of getting the flu, cancer, or a date with Kate Upton than catching Ebola

LVT
11-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Ebola is a level 4 pathogen on a scale of 1, 2,3 or 4: along with polio, Lassa virus, some other hemorrhagic illnesses or the VERY DANGEROUS STUFF. Influenza is not ranked all that dangerous, but it kills a lot of people because it is so widespread. I am damaged from measles and my sister-in-law had polio. How many younger people know the deadliness of various diseases via personnel contacts.

SBETigg
11-02-2014, 09:48 PM
I fly quite a lot and my husband flies weekly. Domestic travel. I've seen more people wearing masks. There's some obvious increased concern, but I'm not all that concerned with Ebola when I travel domestically. I can definitely understand why media coverage would frighten people. But if you study how it spreads and learn the facts, you know there's really not much cause for concern at this time.