PDA

View Full Version : How to let the kids know?

goofynmd
10-09-2014, 09:16 AM
I am expecting our Magic Bands to be shipped in the next week. Anyone have ideas on how to suprise the kids (boys age 5 and 9) seeing as we haven't told them about our trip? If you were to build a "gift basket" that includes the magic bands, what would you include?
My ideas thus far are a Disney gift card that they can purchase what they want and a paper chain to use as a countdown.

buzznwoodysmom
10-09-2014, 10:57 AM
If it is their first trip you could order autograph books and pens off the Disney site.

There are tons of items you could put in a gift basket. It really depends on how big you want to go and how much you are wanting to spend. You can order t-shirts, plush Mickey, the already mentioned autograph books and pens, chap stick, caps or visors for wearing in the parks, trading pins, Disney DVD for the ride to Disney for either the car ride or on a portable DVD player (do people still use those?) if going by plane, the list could go on and on. I would concentrate on things you would likely get them for the trip anyway.

vicster
10-09-2014, 11:06 AM
How about having family t-shirts made for the vacation and put those in their baskets?

ransam
10-11-2014, 03:13 AM
From amazon you can buy mickey mouse wallets, they are pretty cheap and very durable.
I bought one for my son. I put in pictures from a previous trip with his mom, me and him, some Disney dollars I ordered on line, a Disney card, and some pennies for the penny print. I'm going to give that to him as we leave the airport.

BigRedDad
10-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Carefully. We had our last trip all planned. We were getting my daughter from school, bags packed, a surprise invite from Mickey Mouse and Princess Tiana. She started crying and didn't want to go. We asked if her friend could go instead and my daughter said yes. For one reason or another, she had gotten a fear for flying. It all ended after a stop at McDonald's, an ice cream at the terminal.

RavsRuleDisney!
10-15-2014, 03:58 PM
The initial "surprise" part is what you need to plan for. We kept one of our trips a secret from our 2 DS' several years back. When they came home from school (about an hour before we left for the airport!) we had them close their eyes and we slipped Disney lanyards around their necks. They opened their eyes and we asked them what they would use those for....after a moment of puzzlement it sunk in and the reaction was priceless!! :mickey: I had my camcorder ready and my older DS was in shock and I believe the younger one was doing an Irish jig at one point! I'm tellin' ya, just put the magic bands in a small box and when they figure it out - BAM!! :thumbsup: ENJOY!!

BriarRose0708
10-15-2014, 04:26 PM
We surprised our birthday girl by giving her the box of Magic Bands wrapped as an early present she opened about 3 weeks before our trip. It took her a second to understand and her reaction was great! I had thought about doing a gift bag too, but we didn't have time to get things together. We ordered autograph books from the Disney site and the Dollar Store or Big Lots usually carry inexpensive odds and ends that are Disney themed. Congrats on your trip!

goofynmd
10-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Carefully. We had our last trip all planned. We were getting my daughter from school, bags packed, a surprise invite from Mickey Mouse and Princess Tiana. She started crying and didn't want to go. We asked if her friend could go instead and my daughter said yes. For one reason or another, she had gotten a fear for flying. It all ended after a stop at McDonald's, an ice cream at the terminal.

We did a suprise trip two years ago. We didn't tell them anything and just picked them up from school. We had the suitcases hidden in the trunks. My older son started crying when we wouldn't tell him where we were going.... Guess I know not to ever throw him a surprise birthday party. :party:

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Our magic bands arrived today :mickey:

disneymom15
10-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Our magic bands arrived today :mickey:

What are your dates. We leave in 22 days haven't received our magic bands yet.

goofynmd
10-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Our arrival date is November 10th. I received the email on Monday 10/13 that they were being shipped.

disneymom15
10-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Our arrival date is November 10th. I received the email on Monday 10/13 that they were being shipped.

Hmmm, ok, we arrive on the 8th. No email yet.
Thanks

MyDisneyworld
10-16-2014, 03:51 PM
We just surprised our 2 girls (9 and 7) in July with a trip. We told them we were going to northern Michigan for vacation. On the morning we left they started asking questions about how it felt like we were heading to Disney (opposite direction), so we asked would you rather go there? They said yes so we said, ok let's go. They totally didn't believe us but then started to see airplanes. Then they freaked out when we got to the airport. Was super hard to keep it from them but the video was priceless. Even have them holding signs saying we are going up north with mommy in the back ground holding a sign that says "we are really going to Disney".
Enjoy your trip....