PDA

View Full Version : Future Trip Post-Kids....

RavsRuleDisney!
10-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Ok, the DW and I were discussing this the other day, and although this will be a few years off for us it will be soon enough when both DS' are off to college and doing there own thing sooo....

We were trying to figure out just what would we do/plan on that first trip sans the boys? We have made a dozen-ish trips with them since they were both toddlers (DS15 was actually in DW's belly our first trip down!) ;) and it's usually one for all and all for one. Actually, the DS' may get some solo time this go around in the parks for our Nov. trip (they can't wait) but up til now we always traveled as a 4-pack.

So, for all those who have done the kiddie trips AND the empty nest excursions, How'd it go? What did you do/suggest that you had not experienced with the little ones in tow? What wouldn't you do again? How long would be long enough of a stay?

They do grow so big so fast.... :(

faline
10-06-2014, 05:17 PM
My husband and I did our first adults only trip to Disney World when our daughter went off to college. We stayed a week and didn't plan anything different from what we would have done with our daughter. The big difference was that we only needed to consult with each other and didn't need to consider what our daughter wanted to do/didn't want to do. We could also get going on our own schedule - daughter is definitely not a morning person. Although we greatly enjoyed our family trips, a couples trip just felt more relaxed.

Gregandmel
10-08-2014, 04:54 PM
My DH and I JUST got back last week from a 4 day adventure WITHOUT our 2 boys (ages 14 and 23). We've made 4 trips with them but this was our first trip to Disney just the 2 of us.

IT. WAS. WONDERFUL!!!!

We arrived Saturday morning at POFQ by 11:30am (first flight out). Our room was ready (did on-line check in). Took the boat down to POR and had lunch. We made dinner ressies at Boma-Flavors of AFrica at the Animal Kingdom Lodge at 5pm (had never been and always wanted to try). It was awesome and we had plenty of time to tour the lodge. We went to Magic Kingdom on Sunday and had an absolute blast! Lines were reasonable and we scored FP+ for the Be Our Guest restaurant for lunch. We were there until around 5pm and then went back to our resort, showered, had dinner, then spur of the moment went to Downtown Disney.

That's the beauty of it being just 2 of you. The spontaneity! Monday we went to Epcot for the Food and Wine Festival which was fabulous. Usually our boys aren't interested in the World Showcase so this was our opportunity to explore at our leisure. Our flight left Tuesday at 3:15pm so we were picked up around 12:15pm. We were able to sleep in a little, have a nice breakfast (mickey waffles!!) and just enjoy the morning.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. We wished we could've stayed at least another day, but with the younger one in High School, wanted to make it back (my parents are 5 minutes away so they were busy checking in!)

My husband and I are already talking about when we might be able to do it again. We've had the luxury of having been to all the parks 4 separate times, so since this was a shortened trip, we picked 2 parks we wanted to concentrate on. I wasn't busy always looking behind me making sure I hadn't lost anyone, or trying to make decisions based on who was hungry or tired....just the two of us was great! (But don't get me wrong - I DID miss them and felt a BIT guilty for ditching them.) :mickey:

Lindslou
10-08-2014, 05:01 PM
I'm not an empty-nester but I do know about Disney sans-kids. = ) I'd recommend a mono-rail pub crawl, grabbing a drink at the Tambu Lounge at Poly, Misner Lounge at the Grand Floridian and a drink at the bar at California Grill at the Contemporary. Staying in the Boardwalk area feels more adult and gets you easy access to all of the Boardwalk bars and restaurants as well as the infinite possibilities at Epcot.

Katzateer
10-08-2014, 09:33 PM
We don't go to the parks as much and eat more signature dining meals. Most of the trip is the same but we really miss the girls and grandma!

This will be our 3rd year without them.