View Full Version : First Trip to Walt Disney World Ever Pre-Trip Report

gordonokc24
10-05-2014, 09:07 PM
:mickey:
People Attending:
DM: (me) Holly Wilson-Celebrating my 40th BDay
BF: Michelle Kemery-First Trip ever
Resort: All Star Sports

It is hard to believe that we started planning this trip a year ago today. Originally this trip was going to be my mom and I, but instead it is myself with my Best Friend Michelle. We are both teachers in Oklahoma City and work at different schools, but this will be the first vacation for wither of us in almost 20 years. Our vacation dates are October 17-23, 2014. We are both getting really excited, but I am a little nervous that something might get messed up after all of my careful planning. We are flying out on October 17, 2014 and will arrive at 2:45pm at MCO and are using Magical Express :mickey: We also have a dining reservation at the Crystal palace that evening at 650pm and we have tickets for MNSSHP that evening. I hope that it doesn't take us too long to get from the airport to our resort because I also set up some fastpasses for Magic Kingdom that evening before dinner. I have heard a lot about the party, but wondering if anyone has tips for this party I would love to hear them. Some of the other things that wee are looking forward to include the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot and of course seeing all of the parades. Can anyone tell me if Animal Kingdom is worth it because my friend does not like the super fast roller coasters and I am looking forward to the safari and festival of the Lion King, but it seems as though there are a lot of renovations at AK so some help is needed. This going to be so much fun...but am I crazy to think that I should cancel some of my dining reservations on the day at Epcot since the food and wine festival is going on? Much More to come as we get closer and travel to Disney.
:mickey::mickey::mickey:

Katzateer
10-05-2014, 09:39 PM
I would not pass up AK. The Festival of the Lion King alone is worth a visit and the details at the park are amazing! It isn't really under a lot of renovations- park of the park where FOTL used to be is closed but you won't notice much there as far as construction. MK is another story - lots of work especially at the end of Main Street before you get to castle.

If you can make it a late night for the party, go to second parade. The costumes of other guests are so much fun to see and it seems you can see them a lot better in Tomorrow Land.

Hope you have a great time!

Disney4us2
10-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Animal Kingdom is one of our favorites. Take the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch (near the Safari). There is an active veterinary window inside the building where you can watch proceedures. It usually starts at 10AM to 12PM. That of course depends on if there are any emergencies and the cooperaton of the animals. The only day there are no proceedures is on Wednesdays.

There are also two trails, one in Africa and the other in Asia. Another way to see the animals and get great pics.

There is so much more than coasters at ths park. Especially good if you want a relaxing time without all the rush. Enjoy!

Pirate Granny
10-05-2014, 11:35 PM
You have limited party time since you are getting in so late. Party admits starts at 4pm, so I would cancel the table service dinner, and jump into the party activities....do a quick counter service, or grab something at the airport food court and eat walking to the bus or waiting for the bus... ENJOY

faline
10-06-2014, 07:51 AM
How exciting!! Have a wonderful time!!:mickey:

If you are going to be doing a lot of sampling at the Food & Wine festival booths, you might be a bit too full to also do sit-down meal(s) the same day.

I would also be sure to visit Animal Kingdom - there is much more to do than Expedition:Everest and/or Dinosaur!!

Ms. Mode
10-06-2014, 09:02 AM
Sounds like a busy first day! Try to rest up for the party a little if possible, and make sure you watch the parade!

AK is great! Everest is not that super fast roller coaster that scares you, the only one like that at WDW is Rock'n Roller Coaster in HS, even it is great though.

When we do Food and Wine we don't do dinner anywhere else. There is so much food to choose from, and after a few samples and you're full! You may need a couple of nights there just to sample everything you would like to try. :D

RavsRuleDisney!
10-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Sounds like your planning is set up pretty well. Planning the trip is one of the best parts of the trip! (or so my DW tells me)....Remember, you can always make adjustments to "the plan" once there....just go with the flow, don't sweat the small details or minor inconveniences, and ENJOY!! :mickey::mickey:

ajwgroomer
10-07-2014, 12:22 AM
You have limited party time since you are getting in so late. Party admits starts at 4pm, so I would cancel the table service dinner, and jump into the party activities....do a quick counter service, or grab something at the airport food court and eat walking to the bus or waiting for the bus... ENJOY

I agree! We were just there and went Thursday to the party & I made the mistake of booking reservations at Liberty Tree (one of our favorites w/ great food!) at 6:40. They were abnormally slow & by the time we got out it was 8:15 already!😞 The character meals didn't even take that long. We missed out on a lot & we stayed till closing.

vizsla
10-07-2014, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the report.

princessgirls
10-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Have a wonderful Magical Trip!!!!

Enjoy it!!!

Julie:mickey:

Lindslou
10-07-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm going to echo most of the folks above. Definitely don't miss Animal Kingdom! Also, in the interest of time I'd scrap that ADR your first night so that you don't feel rushed. And we've tried to have ADRs and do the F&W festival and we've never made one yet! We fill up on the booths every time and aren't hungry enough for a full meal.

Sounds like an amazing trip! Have a blast!!

hoop de do
10-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Have a great VACA.
Let us know how it went.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

KylesMom
10-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Hope you had a wonderful trip! Stop back and tell us all about it when you get a chance! :mickey:

ransam
11-02-2014, 03:48 PM
great post.