PDA

View Full Version : The “Sick? But I’m at Disney!!” trip report

scooterca42
10-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Travel days – Sept 26 to Oct 4

Cast of Characters – Scooterca42 (53)
Big D (55)

Five years later, we’re at Disney again. There was enough new for us to plan a trip and so plan we did, starting in January. Then Free Dining plan came out and we were fortunate to get into Pop, thanks to Wendy. We ended up in a King room with a walk in shower, in the 60’s, facing the pool. Location was fine, and as we told each other, we only use the room to sleep in. (cue foreboding music).

First day was spent with our friends shopping and eating, they’re DVC members and had a villa in Wilderness. Saturday we bopped around the Magic Kingdom, got a Pirate’s visit in and a Dole Whip, then dove the Living Seas in Epcot on the 4:30 dive (15 people - largest group yet!). After some shopping round and a great dinner at San Angel in Mexico, we said goodbye to our friends (who were headed for a cruise on the Wonder the next day) and went back.

Sunday we went to Downtown Disney and found a couple interesting items, and spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying the Hollywood that never was. The Fastpasses worked beautifully, today and all through our trip, and we had dinner at SciFi – might be our last for a while, since things got way confused with our bill – how can a server NOT have a scanner for Magicbands? and we ended up skirting the crowds trying to get to the entrance. It was the last Frozen day and crowds were enormous. Couldn’t get near any of the specialty items at all, though we did get a couple of nice and very welcome Olaf fans as we entered.

Monday had the first hints of problems – I had sniffles. I dosed up and we pressed on, deciding against the originally planned waterpark and opting instead for spending the day at our favourite park, Epcot. We did everything we wanted, excepting Mission Space, and had a wonderful dinner at Teppan Edo – Big D said afterward he planned to video but he was just so entranced by it.

Tuesday I was not happy – evening and night had been punctuated by coughing and I was tired, but we’d planned a trip to Kennedy and I wasn’t planning to miss it! We had a good time there and were impressed by the way it’s been set up with Atlantis and all.

Wednesday, originally an alternate waterpark day, ended up being an MK day. We did what we wanted, including the Seven Dwarves Mine train, very cute and nicely presented. Our big dinner was Be Our Guest – which was absolutely amazing. The effects and the atmosphere are second to none! My cold was beginning to develop into what Big D and I have christened the Disney Bark –some sort of bug that we only get here.

Thursday was spent again at MK for Keys to the Kingdom – I’d wanted to do this for some time and James was very thorough, though I was beginning to flag again by the time we hit the utilidors. Excellent experience, though I caution anyone taking this not to choose the chicken nuggets, they’re pretty small and cold by the time you get to eat them.

Thursday night was Luau night and it was fabulous! We both had a wonderful time and got some terrific photos. The fire dancer was amazing!

Friday, the Disney Bark had gotten to Big D as well. We ended up cancelling our Narcoosee’s reservation, opting to stay in and eat out of the food court. And listen to the contests, pounding music and kiddies shrieks that we never worried about because, of course, we only slept there… ;)

The first five days were rainy as heck, the last ones were very nice, but the humidity was quite wearing. The Bark inhibited our plans, but overall it was still a good trip. Next one will likely be a cruise, with only a few park days. Still, I really am sorry that we missed Blizzard Beach and the opportunity to snack around the world, one of the reasons we chose this time.

faline
10-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Having developed a cold several times while on a Disney trip, I can only say "I hate when that happens!!" Sorry you had to struggle wih not feeling well for much of your trip. It's good to hear you were able to soldier through much of it!!

SBETigg
10-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Oh no! It does make it hard to carry on. I'm glad you managed to have some fun.

Ms. Mode
10-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Sorry you were under the weather for part of your trip. I have learned to start taking allergy medicine on the first day or our trips because I always get messed up too, so does DH. We have found this to work so well we take a small pharmacy on trips with us now! Funny enough though, when in Florida his joints feel better and his back never hurts! :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-14-2014, 12:57 PM
So sorry you were sick on your trip:ill:

BriarRose0708
10-14-2014, 01:30 PM
I was there around the last half of your trip as well and came home with The Disney Bark as another souvenir. Glad you didn't let it get in the way of your trip and it sounds like you had a very magical time!

vizsla
10-15-2014, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the report.