PDA

View Full Version : Annual Food and Wine pilgrimage

Hammer
10-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Cast-Christine (also known by my Intercot alter ego Hammer)
Cheryl- my sister

Trip dates- 10/5-10/9

Resort- Disney's Villas at the Grand Floridian- 2 bedroom Villa- standard view

I am writing this post as I am on the plane headed to Tampa (thank you wi-fi). I will meet up with my sister (she flies out of Newark) and we will head over to our Mom's condo. We will visit with her until Sunday and then head over to WDW. Mom was originally scheduled to come with us, but Mom has had a lot of health issues this year and is not strong enough to join us. She still wanted my sister and I to go to Food and Wine, but we did cut the trip shorter by a day to spend that time with Mom. We had reserved the 2 bedroom when we thought Mom would be joining us. We weren't able to make any changes on the size of our accommodations, so it will be 2 people each with their own wing :) .

We have made almost no plans for this trip as we weren't sure it was actually even going to happen. No ADRs and no FP+. We will see what we end up riding. I'm not stressing over it, but we are perfectly satisfied if we get to ride our favorites one time. We are not park commandos and we do not set an alarm. We do plan to spend a great deal of our time at Food and Wine as my checklist for the kiosks is quite lengthy! Chris (Strmchsr) and I are going to try and meet up at sometime on Wednesday and I am looking forward to meeting him and his family!

The one thing we have reserved is a GF pool cabana for Wednesday afternoon. We did this when we stayed at the GF in 2010 and absolutely loved it so I knew we had to do it again.

Keep an eye out in the Accommodations and Dining forums for my reviews!

VWL Mom
10-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Sorry your mom won't be joining you this time but it's nice you'll have time to visit with her. Enjoy the poolside cabana, we rent one when we stay at BLT and feel it just makes for a wonderful relaxing day. Have a great trip, looking forward to your reports on F&W.

Katzateer
10-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Have a great time! looking forward to your reviews.

SBETigg
10-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Your mom will be happy to see you, though. At least you will get a visit in. I'm sorry that she had a rough year. Your GF Villa sounds lovely! And I always look forward to your reviews. I hope you have a great time!

Strmchsr
10-04-2014, 08:18 AM
Have a great time! I hope to see you down there.

faline
10-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Christine -I hope you and your sister have a wonderful Disney time!! Also, enjoy the time you get to visit with your mom -sorry she's not going to be able to join you for the Disney part!!

Disney4us2
10-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Have fun at food and wine. Hopefully we can meet up. Sorry your mom couldn't join in.

princessgirls
10-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Have a great time Christine!

I think you have a great trip planned...less planned sometimes works out the BEST!!!

Julie:mickey:

Hammer
10-13-2014, 03:58 PM
I am back from Florida. There was good and not so good things that happened this trip. We decided when we arrived the title for this trip would be "when life gives you lemons, make spiked lemonade"!

I will provide you with an example. We were there the exact times of the FP+ only test for TSMM, but our plan was to ride it during the evening extra magic hours on Sunday. We get to the ride, and it is closed during Extra Magic hours?! Really?! As that was the only time we were going to DHS, we didn't ride it this trip. It is not a big deal for us, as we can take or leave the ride, but I understand why many people were upset as it is really the only big family ride, besides GMR. We did ride RNR using Single Rider line (we never buy the picture anyway) . Then, we looked to find some food for us to eat, as we had a late lunch at Les Halles in Epcot before riding Maelstrom for the last time. There wasn't anywhere to get food during Evening EMH unless we wanted a turkey leg (which we didn't). So, we left DHS having only gone on 1 ride and we were hungry! Checked on the MDE app for lounges that served food later and we had a great small plates dinner at Territory Lounge with a bottle of sparkling wine from Oregon (missed the other Christine at WL on the all resorts tour by about 20 minutes). Lemons, meet spiked lemonade!

We loved Villas at the Grand Floridian! It is now our #1 overall DVC experience. I will be writing a detailed review in Accommodations in the next few days, as well as dining reviews in the Dining forum. Just one bit of advice: if you have the funds available, rent a pool cabana! We did this for one afternoon and it was wonderful!

My sister has the picture on her phone, but I was able to meet up with fellow moderator Strmchsr (Chris) and his family as well as Intercotee Disney4us2 (Marci). It was great to meet both of you!

faline
10-13-2014, 04:38 PM
Glad you were able to have fun despite the challenges!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Ill be waiting for the reviews:mickey:

SBETigg
10-14-2014, 09:29 PM
So glad you loved your accommodations! :) And were able to make spiked lemonade when necessary.