PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Green the unloved step child?

Drachengeist
10-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Anybody that has stayed at Shades of Green knows its unique status. A Disney resort that was purchased/leased by the military for use as a special one of the handful of Morale Welfare and Recreation facilities.
It has a tenuous classification as a "On Property Disney Resort". For example it stays eligible for the extra magic hours. But it also seems to be left behind.
We were there last weekend and did the extra magic hours. But none of the card/band readers or iPads seemed to acknowledge our bands or keys and for every ride we wanted to go on, we had to show our little piece of paper that said Shades of Green on it. This became a little tiresome and also problematic as it was pouring rain about half the time. Paper + Rain = Mess.
It seems that they were also left out of the whole magic band thing. We had bought ours while under the impression that we would be able to link a credit card to them for easier purchasing ...souveniers, the food and wine fest, general snackages and meals. I understand their maybe not being able to link it at SOG but surely somewhere in the park? Nope. "only Disney Hotel guests." Major disappointment. Why can you load $ on a little key tag (ala the food and wine wrist band) but you cant do it for your $12.95 wristband? Somebody needs to get some principals together in a room to talk.

Melanie
10-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Really, EMH is the only benefit SoG guests get. No Magical Express, no free theme park parking, no recognition as 'on site' guests for FP+ purposes, etc.

It IS strange.

Disneyfun
10-02-2014, 06:05 PM
All those reasons and that their bus service is HORRIFIC are reasons that I really do not feel that SoG is a good 'value' for staying 'on-property'.

Melanie
10-02-2014, 10:48 PM
The bus service itself isn't horrific, but I can see why some wouldn't like the schedule they run. The service itself is great, always on schedule.

I personally think it's a great value staying there, and we're in the highest price tier. Huge rooms, great food at low prices, and the location itself is pretty amazing. We take advantage of walking to the Poly a lot.

But I do agree that I wish they'd get more of the Disney property perks.

Katzateer
10-03-2014, 07:59 AM
That IS disappointing all the problems you had. We are staying for 8 nights in December and I am hoping from Mel's great resort reviews and a co-worker of my husband's we enjoy. One thing different on this trip is we have NO park days planned. Lots of resort hopping and enjoying all the activities WDW has to offer outside the parks. We probably will go to one MVMCP if the weather is good and one day at EPCOT but will decide once we arrive. If we were going to parks more days I think I would change our resort choice.

Polynesian Dweller
10-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Really, EMH is the only benefit SoG guests get. No Magical Express, no free theme park parking, no recognition as 'on site' guests for FP+ purposes, etc.

It IS strange.

Why strange? It is not a Disney resort any more than the Swan and Dolphin or The Four Seasons. Being on site means nothing. On site does not make you a Disney resort guest. Disney perks are for Disney resort guests. Remember Disney resort guests actually pay for the perks via their room rates.

It is owned by the US Army. If the owner wants to pay for perks like the other non-Disney hotels have then they can have them. So the army needs to decide if they want their guests to have the perks.

Melanie
10-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Why strange? It is not a Disney resort any more than the Swan and Dolphin or The Four Seasons. Being on site means nothing. On site does not make you a Disney resort guest. Disney perks are for Disney resort guests. Remember Disney resort guests actually pay for the perks via their room rates.

It is owned by the US Army. If the owner wants to pay for perks like the other non-Disney hotels have then they can have them. So the army needs to decide if they want their guests to have the perks.

Alrighty. Well, I guess my point was, either you offer all the perks or none of them. Why one and not the others?

Polynesian Dweller
10-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Alrighty. Well, I guess my point was, either you offer all the perks or none of them. Why one and not the others?

Agree. But that's the Shades of Green's issue. The other on site Non-Disney hotels don't provide them all either so it's a good question for all of them.

Janmac
10-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Some of the perks issue may be tied to the inability of SOG's and Disney's computers to talk to each other.

Swan and Dolphin aren't quite in the same category as SOG, which is supposed to be morale and welfare for government employees, military and DoD. Not very morale building to be left out of perks anyone at a Value resort or the campground has access to.

Jan

Janmac
10-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Some of the perks issue may be tied to the inability of SOG's and Disney's computers to talk to each other.

Swan and Dolphin aren't quite in the same category as SOG, which is supposed to be morale and welfare for government employees, military and DoD. Not very morale building to be left out of perks anyone at a Value resort or the campground has access to.

Jan

wdwfansince75
10-06-2014, 07:31 AM
Shades of Green is a great perk for the military family. Back when our grateful nation paid the military less than a living wage, most military families' vacations were visits to grandma and grandpa...and an annual trip to an amusement park was a big deal...It remains, for many military families, a once in a lifetime event. We have used it over the years as an opportunity for memorable multi-generational vacations. The busses could be (and have become) better, but the short walk to the Poly, and the every 15 minute bus to the TTC have solved transportation problems for us. Our grandkids have all had more trips to DW because of SoG, than we, or their parents could have afforded. It is delightful to see other retirees or young, just back from deployment, service members, enjoying the visit with their families. If you can afford club level at GF, do it. If SoG allows you to include more family members or friends in your trip, as it has done for us, enjoy! Been inconvenienced, but have never had a bad trip!

VWL Mom
10-06-2014, 08:21 AM
It seems that they were also left out of the whole magic band thing. We had bought ours while under the impression that we would be able to link a credit card to them for easier purchasing ...souveniers, the food and wine fest, general snackages and meals. I understand their maybe not being able to link it at SOG but surely somewhere in the park? Nope. "only Disney Hotel guests." Major disappointment. Why can you load $ on a little key tag (ala the food and wine wrist band) but you cant do it for your $12.95 wristband? Somebody needs to get some principals together in a room to talk.

I think there is some confusion here. Even Disney hotel guests do not have the ability to link a credit card number directly to their magic bands for purchases. The magic band gives them the opportunity to charge purchases to the room as long as there is a credit card or cash on file. Disney becomes the banker at the end of your stay and I'm not so sure that's something the military can get involved in.