PDA

View Full Version : Ben & Jerry's

NJGIRL
09-28-2014, 09:48 PM
I don't eat ice cream much, but had a craving the other night so I got Ben & Jerry's Banana Split (because the store didn't have Peach Cobbler). It has Banana & Strawberry Ice Cream in it. Well neither flavor had much taste (or color) to it. It was so disappointing, but I though maybe I just got a bad batch.

Tonight I had to run into the store and thought I would try another flavor. I got the "Jam Core" which had Chocolate & Raspberry Ice Cream with raspberry sauce in the middle. Again the raspberry ice cream had no color or flavor.

IMO their fruit flavored ice creams have no flavor at all anymore. Has anyone else noticed that their quality has gone down hill?

VWL Mom
09-29-2014, 07:31 AM
That is disappointing, I used to love B&J.

BrerGnat
09-29-2014, 07:37 AM
Well, they are all natural. Banana ice cream ia naturally off white and real strawberry ice cream is very pale pink. I've always noticed the actual ice cream in B&Js is kind of muted in flavor because the mix ins like sauces, cake, candy, nuts are what provide a large amount of the flavor.

If you want good strong fruit flavored ice cream, buy Haagen Dazs.

NJGIRL
09-29-2014, 08:21 AM
Well, they are all natural. Banana ice cream ia naturally off white and real strawberry ice cream is very pale pink. I've always noticed the actual ice cream in B&Js is kind of muted in flavor because the mix ins like sauces, cake, candy, nuts are what provide a large amount of the flavor.

If you want good strong fruit flavored ice cream, buy Haagen Dazs.

Thanks for the Haagen Dazs tip, I will have to get that the next time. I have always eaten B&J and always thought the ice cream flavor was good until this week. That's why I would get it...because IMO it has never been very creamy.

Katzateer
09-29-2014, 08:27 AM
That is why the artificial flavored foods taste so much better. Labs giving people what they want- lots of favor and pretty colors bring so many chemicals and other weird products into our food sources.

I try to get items with 5 or less ingredients and they are hard to find. Give me a package of Cheetos and cookies with all the bad stuff. Makes my taste buds so happy.

I would imagine the ingredient list has changed with B&J products as customers demand more "healthy" treats. I don't think the quality has gone down- they just try to go with flavorings that are more natural.

mgmnut
09-29-2014, 09:01 AM
I hope they don't mess with the ingredients in their Cherry Garcia. That is my go to Ben and Jerry's flavor.

TheDuckRocks
09-29-2014, 11:14 AM
I hope they don't mess with the ingredients in their Cherry Garcia. That is my go to Ben and Jerry's flavor.

I was just thinking I must run out today and buy some Cherry Garcia just to make absolute sure they haven't messed with it! :D

NJGIRL
09-29-2014, 11:49 AM
I don't think the quality has gone down- they just try to go with flavorings that are more natural.

That was the problem. It had no flavor at all. I don't care about the color of it, that was just an observation. When I eat a banana, strawberry or raspberry I can taste the flavor of each fruit. If they are using more natural flavors that should not make it tasteless. IMO they are using very little natural flavor making most of the flavors all taste similar and relying on the added extras (choc chunks, cookie, etc) to cover up skimping on the ice cream quality.

Just my opinion.

NJGIRL
09-29-2014, 11:53 AM
I was just thinking I must run out today and buy some Cherry Garcia just to make absolute sure they haven't messed with it! :D

Let me know what you think because it seems like it's the fruit flavors that have changed. The flavor is just barely there. My husband had some kind of chocolate concoction and he said it was fine....and the chocolate portion of my tub was OK too.

BrerGnat
09-29-2014, 02:58 PM
You could have also just gotten a bad batch. I believe they guarantee the quality of each pint and there should be a phone number to call if not.

magicofdisney
09-29-2014, 03:51 PM
My favorite used to be Coffee Heath Bar Crunch. They've recently changed the name because they no longer use Heath Bar for the toffee candy bar add in. It had something to do with their commitment to more natural ingredients. I still enjoy this new variation (Coffee Toffee Bar Crunch), but it's definitely different.

In your case, it could have been a bad batch as previously mentioned. I've had Coffee Heath Bar Crunch in the past in which the toffee was creamy (NOT the norm) versus crunchy.

MNNHFLTX
09-29-2014, 03:58 PM
If you want good strong fruit flavored ice cream, buy Haagen Dazs.So true. I don't eat ice cream often, but when I do Haagen Daz Rum Raisin is the one for me. :tasty:

BrerGnat
09-29-2014, 04:00 PM
So true. I don't eat ice cream often, but when I do Haagen Daz Rum Raisin is the one for me. :tasty:

Their strawberry is very good as is the pineapple coconut. Yum! Generally, I like their standard vanilla and chocolate as well. Just all around excellent ice cream, IMO.

Hammer
09-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Their strawberry is very good as is the pineapple coconut. Yum! Generally, I like their standard vanilla and chocolate as well. Just all around excellent ice cream, IMO.

When I want vanilla ice cream, I only get Haagen Daz. Their chocolate peanut butter is great as well!

I enjoy Ben and Jerry's Coffee Toffee Bar Crunch as well. That and Chocolate Fudge Brownie are the flavors I get for Ben and Jerry's. They no longer use Heath Bars as they are committed to using non-GMO ingredients.

Now I want ice cream :tasty: ! Will resist it since I'll be eating ice cream for the ice cream parlour in the France pavilion in 6 days!

SBETigg
09-29-2014, 04:52 PM
I'm a Cherry Garcia and Chunky Monkey fan when it comes to Ben and Jerry, but I haven't had it in awhile. I have had the Banana Split, and again, when I had it (not recently, maybe last year?) it was very flavorful. I suspect something was off with your container, or... they have changed. They've been owned by Unilever since 2010, so it's entirely possible that they have gradually changed and messed with the quality of the product. I hope not, but... could be.

Mrs Bus Driver
09-29-2014, 07:03 PM
Just wanted to chime in here, back when I was still allowed to eat chocolate one of my favorite flavors was Chubby Hubby. With chocolate covered, peanut butter filled pretzels, oh my:thumbsup:! :mickey: Also among my favorites Cherry Garcia.:mickey: