PDA

View Full Version : Updated Park Rules effect E-Cigs

LittleDreamer
09-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Walt Disney World updated their park and resort rules. One big change is now E-Cigarettes and Vapor Smokers are treated the same as traditional tobacco products. It seems that law makers and companies have been so far unsure how to deal with this emerging technology; so it is nice to see a clear decision being made.

Updated Park Rules (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/)

disneymom15
09-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Agreed:thumbsup:

CleveSJM
09-24-2014, 12:19 PM
I second the agreement! :thumbsup:

Better to err on the side of everyone's comfort.

TheVBs
09-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Thirded! :mickey: Great to hear that they're officially addressing this.

1DisneyNut
09-24-2014, 01:34 PM
Good to hear. There isn't sufficient scientific evidence to neither prove nor disprove that second hand vapor might potentially be harmful similar to cigarette smoke but it doesn't exactly take a genius to figure out that whatever they are inhaling/exhaling, bystanders are also inhaling. That in and of itself is good enough reason to ban them in public areas as most of us do not want to be breathing their leftover nicotine or whatever they have in the thing.

Hammer
09-24-2014, 01:53 PM
It is good they are being proactive in addressing this issue. Not enough scientific evidence yet on the possible effects of the product.

I hope they update the wording on all WDW print media, such as park and resort maps, signage, etc. quickly to keep the message consistent.

Tekneek
09-24-2014, 02:49 PM
This keeps it simple. They don't have to get into an argument about whether it is "smoking" or not.

kakn7294
09-24-2014, 03:03 PM
I read elsewhere that they are updating signage at the parks with the new rules to be in red print. I do agree that it's better to include e-cigs in the smoking ban until it's proven that they either are or are not harmful to everyone (although they are much more pleasant to non-smokers than standard cigarettes).

Lacy
09-26-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm glad to hear this! I agree that we don't need to research to show that second hand inhaling of whatever they have isn't great for you. I remember being in line at POTC at DL last year behind someone with an ecig and while it isn't as potent as a traditional cigarette I found it annoying.

texas211
09-28-2014, 06:18 PM
I wonder if you can do it in your room. I suppose they really couldn't tell for sure..

Terra
09-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Good decision for the sake of health. I'm honestly surprised they haven't banned it from the parks totally.

Now to just make sure people use the areas. I see quite a few just walking around with regular cigs. I'm always worried someone will get burned.

texas211
10-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Though I wish they had an outdoor lounge at Sosa's.

You bring up a good point, about the burning thing. I step on kids all the time, I can only wonder how often they get nicked.

TheVBs
10-03-2014, 08:15 PM
I wonder if you can do it in your room. I suppose they really couldn't tell for sure..

I would think they could. These things do actually leave an odor. It doesn't smell like cigarette smoke, but it is distinctive. I know a woman who smokes them and her car is saturated with that smell.

TheVBs
10-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Good decision for the sake of health. I'm honestly surprised they haven't banned it from the parks totally.

Now to just make sure people use the areas. I see quite a few just walking around with regular cigs. I'm always worried someone will get burned.

I'm surprised they haven't banned them too! I've been hoping for years that they will.

Terra
10-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Though I wish they had an outdoor lounge at Sosa's.

You bring up a good point, about the burning thing. I step on kids all the time, I can only wonder how often they get nicked.
Remind me, Sosa's is the cigar place right?
In that case I do understand that. :)
My husband is in to cigars but they are NEVER allowed to be in the house [smoking]. LOL

Yes, sadly my parents used to smoke [my mom has been smoke free for nearly 20 years now!!].
I was burned on accident a couple of times.
So it does happen so easily.

I'm surprised they haven't banned them too! I've been hoping for years that they will.
Yeah. I know it's not a popular opinion, but since it is so health crushing to all people it should be. Things like over eating, etc, only affects that person, but smoke? Everyone.

texas211
10-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Yeah, Sosa's is that cigar place at DTD. After a day at dealing w/ the public at WDW, I could use a good cigar (a scotch with it would be nice as well).

Yeah, I tried those e-cigarette things. They do have a slight smell. But seemed to dissipate quickly.

At DL, they allow people to bring their dogs in (under the guise of service dogs). I bet they get nicked every now and again.

I do like less smoking (though I enjoy my cigars) as cigarette smokers do generally leave their butts everywhere and in greater volume.

TheVBs
10-04-2014, 07:24 PM
I completely understand the wish for an outdoor lounge at Sosa's. My DH enjoys a cigar once in a blue moon (I'm with you 100% Terra, never in the house!), and I know he'd enjoy having a seat there while the girls and I hit the shops. But I can also imagine the cloud that would hang around it and that they wouldn't want others having to walk through it.

Outside, the e-cig vapor dissipates quickly. Although, I have experienced the joy of having it hit me in the face.:ack: But, based upon the smell of my friend's car, it certainly seems to be able to permeate fabric, so I was guessing it could probably be detected in the rooms. But that's just a guess.

stephicakes
10-05-2014, 08:09 AM
We were at Dis a couple weeks ago and DH and I both noticed that we encountered more smokers than ever on this trip - people smoking freely wherever they wanted. Usually people are pretty good about staying in the designated areas, but unfortunately not on this trip it seemed. People smoking while walking both in the parks and at resorts. I ran through a big cloud of smoke while jogging on the Boardwalk. Yuck :ack: Hate that!

Glad to hear rules are in place for all types of cigs.