PDA

View Full Version : Grandparent from Fla to buy annual passes for kids?

heatherb
09-18-2014, 07:12 PM
My in-laws live in FLA. They are buying my kids annual passes as their grandparents this yr to Walt Disney World, which is awesome. However, at the time of purchase they were told they must enter the parks with the kids, as they are the Fla residents, and we are from NY. My question is when we travel down to Disney in March, what will happen if we try to enter with our kids, and they are back at the hotel? They do not plan to go to the parks as often as we do with the kids. Do they really check at the gate to see if the Grandparents are there? They are getting older, so they need every other day off. My husband and I are purchasing Annual Passes, but not through the FLA resident benefit, as sons and daughters are not discounted. :confused: Thanks.

Melanie
09-18-2014, 08:07 PM
They were allowed to purchase the passes for the kids as Florida residents? Are the kids Florida residents?

Strmchsr
09-18-2014, 09:45 PM
They were allowed to purchase the passes for the kids as Florida residents? Are the kids Florida residents?

:ditto: Florida resident passes can only be bought for people who are actually Florida residents. Your parents can buy regular APs for your kids with no problem, but not Florida Resident passes. That would be a problem when you went to validate the passes.

heatherb
09-18-2014, 10:27 PM
No, we live in NY....but I was told by Disney today on the phone that as long as the kids enter with the Grandparents each visit, it was considered a "Grandparents" pass.

yankeesfan123
09-18-2014, 10:38 PM
No, we live in NY....but I was told by Disney today on the phone that as long as the kids enter with the Grandparents each visit, it was considered a "Grandparents" pass.

Seeing as how children don't have IDs, I could see this working.

You were actually told by an official disney employee? Or someone who knows a way around the system?

MNNHFLTX
09-18-2014, 11:08 PM
No, we live in NY....but I was told by Disney today on the phone that as long as the kids enter with the Grandparents each visit, it was considered a "Grandparents" pass.I lived in Florida for many years and never heard of a grandparents pass. Florida Resident Passes are for Florida Residents, whether adult or child. ID's are required for the adults purchasing or picking up the passes for the first time, so maybe there wouldn't be a problem with them entering with you after that, but that really is not the intent of the pass.

BigRedDad
09-19-2014, 04:37 AM
The only time it "may" be a problem is the first use. Once activated, there would be no issue.

Melanie
09-19-2014, 05:22 AM
I've never heard of a grandparents pass either, and I was a Florida resident, as Beth was and as Chris is. Florida Resident Passes are for those who actually reside in Florida. It's a perk.

1DisneyNut
09-19-2014, 09:24 AM
The Grandparents need to go the first time and get them activated. After that, they just pass their magic band or rfid card over the sensor and walk in the park.

dnickels
09-19-2014, 11:00 AM
While that's a kind gesture on the part of your parents, the Florida resident pass rates are only supposed to be for actual Florida residents. Just because Disney does not require proof of ID for children and you can get away with it does not make it alright. The kids are not Florida residents, plain and simple.

Kids learn from the examples their parents and grandparents set. It's better to show them the right way to do things by telling the truth and paying the extra few hundred bucks to get them the proper passes.

heatherb
09-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks everyone for the info!

Melanie
09-19-2014, 12:00 PM
And with that we'll close this thread.