PDA

View Full Version : weekend of Oct. 10th

minnie04
09-11-2014, 04:49 PM
What is going on that weekend, that all the on property resorts are booked and the ones that aren't are super expensive??? :confused:

Strmchsr
09-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Well, October has gotten crazy busy anyway, but that's Columbus Day weekend plus F&WF plus MNSSHP which equals a whole lot of folks coming to the World.

Fangorn
09-11-2014, 06:25 PM
And just for good measure, Oct 5-9 is the Gartner Symposium (basically, the world's largest IT conference) with roughly 10,000 attendees. Since that next Monday is a school holiday, a hefty percentage of those folks will bring family along and stay for the weekend.

Rooms for that entire week have been sparse since at least May.

Steve

JabberJaws
09-12-2014, 09:33 AM
We're there Oct. 9 - 14. I don't think Columbus Day is the cause. Many schools don't get CD off (almost none of the Florida schools do). If you look at availability the rest of the weekends in Oct, they are all fairly similar. I think Oct has just become a busier time than it used to be, plus the hotels are operating at a lower capacity than over the summer, so less rooms available to book means they hotel books up faster.

Still, I did a search just out of curiosity and saw some available, a couple with decent rates. I'm seeing CBR for $164/nt, which isn't bad, and WL for $297/nt which, for a deluxe, is not bad.

minnie04
09-12-2014, 10:35 AM
WOW I just realized Monday is a holiday no wonder things are booked..lol now it makes perfect sense...:mickey:

JabberJaws
09-12-2014, 01:47 PM
WOW I just realized Monday is a holiday no wonder things are booked..lol now it makes perfect sense...:mickey:

Actually many schools, if not most schools, around the country don't take Columbus Day. For example, I'm from South Carolina and none of the schools here take CD, and I know in Florida that only 1 or 2 of the counties take CD.

Seems like most schools do a teacher workday or two later in October as sort of a "fall break."

October in general has just gotten to be busy, especially later in the month. I remember we used to go during Halloween and there would be NO ONE there. Miss those days!

minnie04
09-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Actually many schools, if not most schools, around the country don't take Columbus Day. For example, I'm from South Carolina and none of the schools here take CD, and I know in Florida that only 1 or 2 of the counties take CD.

Seems like most schools do a teacher workday or two later in October as sort of a "fall break."

October in general has just gotten to be busy, especially later in the month. I remember we used to go during Halloween and there would be NO ONE there. Miss those days!

Yeah I just remembered that. I forgot that is the only day in the year that the kids have school and I’m off...lol oh well I guess I will keep my original plan of the weekend of Oct 24th. The kids are out that day :mickey: