09-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Saturday, August 23rd /Birthday and Travel Day
Cast
Mama Bear—Me
Papa Bear – DH
Baby Bear – DD
Grammy Bear—my mom
Little Bear—My Nephew

I tried to do Live reports, but every night when I got back to my room, I was exhausted. And this has been the only moment I have been able to finally sit and to trip reports since I have been back.
TRAVEL DAY
Our day began at about 4am. (I don’t think we slept) Papa Bear and I put last minute things into our suitcases, got dressed, got Baby Bear dressed, Locked up and then went downstairs to pack the car. We then drove over to pick up Grammy Bear and Little Bear so we could meet our aunt at the church where I was leaving our car for the week and she would then drive us to the airport.
We made it to the airport at 6 am for our 7am flight. We checked our bags and then headed to security. The security line was so long that we just made our flight. Because we were so late, I was not able to use Baby Bear’s car seat on the plane so it had to be checked. There were no seats together, but a lady was kind enough to move her seat so at least baby Bear and I could sit together. This was DD first plane ride and she was pretty good. She actually fell asleep on that first leg.
We arrived at our connecting city St. Louis a few minutes earlier than expected. When leaving the plane, I expected to see our car seat, but the flight attendant said they checked it to go all the way to Orlando. It was no problem and Baby Bear was okay without it. Again another uneventful flight and soon we were landing at MCO. I was so excited because I had not been there since 2006.
We headed over to catch the monorail toward Baggage claim and there was our luggage spinning on the carousel waiting for us. But not the car seat. A red cap told us we would have to go to the oversize baggage area to wait for it. After a pretty long wait DH decided to go to the baggage office to find out what happened to our car seat. Our car seat was still in St. Louis. There was a mix up and they realized their error. So we had to fill out paperwork so we could get a loaner seat until ours arrived. It was the exact same seat only in a different color. After dealing with the car seat fiasco, we gather up the rest of the gang and then head down to catch the shuttle for the car rental place. I was a little disappointed because I reserved a midsize car and they gave me a corolla. I used to have a corolla, and I was sure it was a compact. I was so tired from traveling that I did not care, everyone would fit and we were good. After our business at the counter, we loaded up the car and was on our way to POP CENTURY RESORT our home for the next week.
It was only about 25 minutes before I saw that wonderful Purple sign that I have been waiting to see for years. We pull into parking lot and head to lobby to check in. Mom and I checked in with the same cast member. It took a long minute, but we were finally ready to get to our room. However, I left my magic bands in the suitcase in the car. By this time DH was starving so we headed to the food court to replenish. As soon as we were done eating, the skies opened up for an afternoon rain shower. So we went to the arcade to wait it out. Once the rain slowed, I took the car to the lot and got my magic band out of the bag and went to look for our room. I finally found our room in the 60’s Building 4. The rest of the gang met me over there and we all began to unload our things. After we got settled in the room, we headed out to Walmart so we could get snacks, Juice and water for the room for the week. We headed back to POP after our trip to Walmart and got ready for the next day which was our first park day.
NEXT UP-CHEF MICKEYS and Magic Kingdom

faline
09-08-2014, 07:28 AM
What a long and tiring travel day!! But, at least you are there and are ready for Disney fun!!

The sizing for cars as listed by the rental agencies is not how I would classify cars. Their version of mid-size is definitely in the compact category - as far as I am concerned!

Katzateer
09-09-2014, 07:47 AM
Glad you made it and are ready for your week of fun. We were in the same area at POP. My daughter and I were in the animation drawing class at the studios during that heavy rain. I watched the Villians fireworks from 4th floor that evening ( actually early morning). Hope the heat wasn't quite as intense during your stay- we were melting the week before!

shadowden
09-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Hope the heat wasn't quite as intense during your stay- we were melting the week before!

We were there the 9th - 16th. Same building but on the 1st floor. Great view of the fireworks!

honeybear
09-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Heat was bad on some days, but there were days where the heat was bearable.

emerzmom
09-11-2014, 10:25 AM
It sounds like a good start to a wonderful vacation. I am always amazed how the rental car companies classify cars. I would have to agree with you that a Corrolla is a small/compact car not a midsize.
Can't wait to hear more about your trip!
:tink:
Julie

princessgirls
09-11-2014, 12:27 PM
You are off to a good start!!!

Enjoy!

Julie:mickey:

vizsla
09-12-2014, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the report.

KylesMom
09-12-2014, 11:02 AM
When travel plans start shaky to begin with, it seems that the domino effect goes into full swing. We have had trips that started like this, only to improve greatly once we awoke the next day. You sure went through some trials today!

I hope your holiday kicks into happy high gear on the second day! :mickey: