PDA

View Full Version : How to calculate value for using points for Disney Collection, Cruises, etc

rjmdds
09-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Well, we officially became DVC owners one week ago today during our stay at WDW. We are very excited about the prospects of our membership and can't wait to start using our points. With that being said, we were given 200 points for joining in addition to the 200 that we purchased. We want to use the first 200 next summer and bank the other 200 towards the following year's vacation. We are going to try to book a week at VGC at the 7 month booking window. We know that could be tough to do so as a backup plan, we are considering using our points for booking hotel rooms at the Grand Californian as part of the Disney Collection. Many sites say that using points for non-DVC properties is a poor use of points and a bad value.

I am trying to calculate how this is determined. I think I have it figured out, but I want to make sure I am not missing something.

Basically I calculate the rack rate for the hotel stay to find out the cash that it would cost out of pocket. Then to compare, I take the number of points I would use for the identical length of stay and room and multiply it by $11 per point (which is an estimate for selling the points). I compare the totals to see which is the better value. Is that it?

Thanks for your patience with a newbie.

VWL Mom
09-04-2014, 11:22 AM
:welcome: home!

When they say not a good value it is because so many more points are required to book them.

Using VGC as an example in June 2015:
standard studio villa for one week 194 points
standard room 3 nights midweek 189 points + $95
cash standard room 3 nights w/tax $1875
The Disney Collection would cost more than twice the DVC points.

SBETigg
09-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Congratulations on your purchase. I'm considering DVC and love that they doubled your points. What is your home resort? I'm still just learning about DVC and debating buying through Disney vs resale. Sounds like you had a good experience going through Disney.

rjmdds
09-04-2014, 02:24 PM
:welcome: home!

When they say not a good value it is because so many more points are required to book them.

Using VGC as an example in June 2015:
standard studio villa for one week 194 points
standard room 3 nights midweek 189 points + $95
cash standard room 3 nights w/tax $1875
The Disney Collection would cost more than twice the DVC points.

Ah. I see. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm considering DVC and love that they doubled your points. What is your home resort? I'm still just learning about DVC and debating buying through Disney vs resale. Sounds like you had a good experience going through Disney.

Our home resort is the GF. It is where we always stay and where we truly love. While points are cheaper at other resorts, I kept reading that you should make your home resort where you are happiest. And for us it is the GF hands down.

We had a great experience through Disney. Of course, I have nothing to compare it to, but I have no regrets at all.

SBETigg
09-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Ah. I see. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Our home resort is the GF. It is where we always stay and where we truly love. While points are cheaper at other resorts, I kept reading that you should make your home resort where you are happiest. And for us it is the GF hands down.

We had a great experience through Disney. Of course, I have nothing to compare it to, but I have no regrets at all.

That would be my choice of home, too. Enjoy!