PDA

View Full Version : Help name a new puppy

buzznwoodysmom
08-30-2014, 05:18 PM
We are getting a little black lab puppy Monday. It's a female. Would like to use a Disney name. Any suggestions?

So far we like Daisy (as in Daisy Duck), Dixie (Landings and a character from Fox and the hound), and Leia (really a star wars name, but star wars has become Disney to us over the years). We also liked Jessie (Toy Story) and Lady (and the tramp), but have kinda lost interest in those names.

faline
08-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Jaq - Cinderella Mouse
Jock - Lady & the Tramp
Scuttle - Little Mermaid
Nala - Lion King
Copper - Fox & the Hound

PirateLover
08-30-2014, 05:36 PM
I think Daisy is a great name for a lab. Congrats on your new addition :pluto::puppy:

mgmnut
08-30-2014, 06:19 PM
I like Daisy too, we have a white Boxer who is deaf that we took in when she was 8 months old. She came with another name but to me she looked like a Daisy, so we changed it. She is now 5 and the name fits so well. She is pretty big for a female but just such a Big Loyal Love. I taught her a bunch of hand signals and she picked them up in no time

If not Daisy How about:

Belle? Beauty and the Beast
Jasmine? Aladdin
Penny? The Rescuers (my second favorite after Daisy)
Perdita? 101 Dalmations
Flora? Sleeping Beauty
Fauna? Sleeping Beauty
Aurora? Slaeeping Beauty
Kiara? The Lion King

So many Choices.

Mickey'sGirl
08-30-2014, 06:29 PM
I do like Daisy .... but I LOVE Perdita! I would call her Perdy.

VWL Mom
08-30-2014, 07:08 PM
I like both Dixie and Daisy. A few more would be Princess, Winnie, or Cindy.

BrerGnat
08-30-2014, 07:26 PM
I like Dixie, since you live in the south, it's fitting.

Daisy is nice as well and not overly "Disney"

MNNHFLTX
08-30-2014, 07:43 PM
I can totally see Dsisy or Belle for a black lab. Or how about Esmeralda, or Esme for short (I totally stole that from my husband's co-worker--yes, that is her name!)

hoop de do
08-30-2014, 07:52 PM
I like "hoop de do" - just kiddin'

Elsa
Anna
Tink

Let us know what you decided on.
:puppy:

Katzateer
08-30-2014, 08:06 PM
I like Dixie! And Esme!!

Kenny1113
08-30-2014, 09:37 PM
I know you have moved away from Jessie. I read a book when I was in elementary school called a home for Jessie it was about a black lab.

I think any of the names mentioned above would be good. :)

We have a male black lab named Baloo. Coincidentally I had ran into someone at the pool ,where my kids used to swim, with a black lab named Baloo also. (I thought we' D be the only oddballs, let alone in the same city. ;) )

Kenny1113
08-30-2014, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=faline;2431283]
Nala - Lion King [QUOTE]

We had a neighbor' s dog who used to sneak into our yard (I believe she was neglected). She was a black lab mix of some kind. We used to call her Nala. :)

buzznwoodysmom
08-30-2014, 09:52 PM
Great suggestions! Keep them coming.

I see a few people mentioned Belle. We have a miniature dachshund named Bella, so Belle would be too similar, but still a great name!

SBETigg
08-30-2014, 10:53 PM
Great suggestions. I also like Lilo or Nani, from Lilo and Stitch. Bo Peep (Bo for short). Nana from Peter Pan (unless the kids call their grandmother nana, then no). Lilly (Disney's wife).

Mickey'sGirl
08-31-2014, 12:16 AM
Great suggestions. I also like Lilo or Nani, from Lilo and Stitch. Bo Peep (Bo for short). Nana from Peter Pan (unless the kids call their grandmother nana, then no). Lilly (Disney's wife).My sister's doggie is named Lilo ... She's a sweetie.

CleveSJM
08-31-2014, 08:54 AM
You're in LA. Gotta be Tiana... :mickey:

TheDuckRocks
08-31-2014, 10:05 AM
My 2 choices would be Daisy or Lilly.

disneymom15
08-31-2014, 10:55 AM
Lilly is really cute.

1DisneyNut
08-31-2014, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't use "Dixie" for the same reason WDW changed the name of the referenced resort from Dixie Landings.......the plantation slavery connotation it invokes.

buzznwoodysmom
08-31-2014, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't use "Dixie" for the same reason WDW changed the name of the referenced resort from Dixie Landings.......the plantation slavery connotation it invokes.

Well I don't personally know a single person that would be offended by the name Dixie for a pet.

I understand changing the name of a hotel in Disney (speaking from a business standpoint) but, we are talking about a family pet here.

missymouseworld
08-31-2014, 07:53 PM
Here are a few names I found under Disney Inspired Names:

Cleo -Pinocchio
Colette - Ratatouille
Flora - Sleeping Beauty
Giselle - Enchanted
Olivia- The Great Mouse Detective
Penny - Bolt
Rosie - A Bug's Life
Violet - Incredibles
Willow - Pocohontas

When we adopted our rescue dog in December, we went with a Disney Inspired name for him...Oliver from Oliver & Company.....Good Luck! Let us know what you choose.

1DisneyNut
09-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Well I don't personally know a single person that would be offended by the name Dixie for a pet.

I understand changing the name of a hotel in Disney (speaking from a business standpoint) but, we are talking about a family pet here.

It isn't really the worry of offending someone so much as the perception it conveys to other people. Hypothetically speaking, at work you start telling a group about your new lab and how he chewed the front bumper cover off of your car, pulled the mail box up and dug all the flowers up in the flower bed and you mentioned his name was "Dixie," some people will immediately think "racist redneck." It is an image that the word conjures up in the mind of many people. You might as well go ahead and put a rebel flag car tag on the front of your car as well...... portrays the same stereotype, for example.

If you are comfortable with it, that is fine. I was just giving my opinion on the names since you asked for opinions and thought I would throw that out there.

If I was going to go Disney theme for a name, I wouldn't use the obvious like Minnie, or Pluto or any of those. I would go with something not so obvious such as "Pixie."

buzznwoodysmom
09-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Turns out we picked a male puppy instead. Our neighbor (who we got the puppy from) had one male and two females left from the liter and the male puppy seemed to really take to my son so it was hard not to take him.

We are thinking of naming him Gumbo. There was an alligator character in Darkwing Duck named Gumbo. It's fitting for us since we are from Louisiana. And our local college (University of Louisiana at Lafayette) has a mascot named Gumbo.

We also like the name Duke, but I don't think there are any Disney characters named Duke.

Still not settled on a name, so more suggestions welcomed.

VWL Mom
09-01-2014, 11:21 AM
How about Max after Goofy's son or Louie after Donald's nephew.

missymouseworld
09-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Rex or Remy. Milo or Russell. Gus or Flynn.

There is a Grand Duke in the movie Cinderella. He is the King's sidekick.

laprana
09-02-2014, 12:48 PM
If he is fast (as most puppies are! :D) how about Dash from the Incredibles?

Some others:
WallE
Pongo - 101 Dalmations
Marlin or Nemo - Finding Nemo
Bagheera - The Jungle Book
Chip or Dale
Naveen - Princess and the Frog
Ralph - Wreck-It Ralph
Pascal - Tangled

We just added 2 puppies to our family this summer, a brother and sister, and named them Dug and Ellie from Up. Ellie's name couldn't be more perfect for her - "Adventure is out there!" That's her motto to a T! :)

Mickey'sGirl
09-02-2014, 01:23 PM
I love Gumbo!

I was thinking "Dug" (from UP). Everybody loves Dug.

BriarRose0708
09-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Gumbo is such an adorable name for a dog!

If it were my dog I doubt my BF would allow for a Disney name, but I would fight for Stitch, George (like George Banks from Mary Poppins), Aladdin or Genie.

#1donaldfan
09-03-2014, 01:04 PM
My daughter named her Golden, "Meeko" (spelling) from Pocohontas...it fits him perfectly !!! :mickey:

1DisneyNut
09-03-2014, 02:06 PM
I like Gumbo too. It has the Disney tie and also ties in with where you live.

Janmac
09-03-2014, 05:20 PM
My niece just got a mini dachshund - black and tan. She hunted and hunted for a name and finally settled on Alpha (from Up) because of the coloring and the [opposite] size and temperament of this little sweetie.

We also had a dog named Shep from the elephant in Tarzan and another named Brutus from the alligator from The Rescuers. Shep and Brutus were both female dogs, sisters. Which made the names even more funny. And both sweethearts, too.

One of my favorite characters in the Disney Fairies series is Bobble. He's a skinny tinker fairy and has these goggles that make his eyes look BIG. Also somewhat steam punk.

And there's Greyfriars Bobby, a Disney movie about a loyal canine friend.

Jan

buzznwoodysmom
09-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we have settled on Koda. He looks like a little bear and the name seems to fit. Most importantly it is the only name all 4 of us can agree on.

We were all good with Gumbo until my oldest son decided he didn't like that name. We found several names we liked initially, but then someone would decide they didn't like it. As of last night all 4 of us like Koda. Let's hope this one sticks!

SBETigg
09-04-2014, 11:33 AM
I like Koda. Cute choice! Enjoy your new puppy. :)

Janmac
09-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Koda is good. Not bad to be hollering around the neighborhood either.

We had one pet named Freakshow and calling that'll get you some odd looks.

Jan

MNNHFLTX
09-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Great name! Enjoy the newest member of your family. :dog:

Kenny1113
09-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Koda is a great name!!! :)

RunDMV
09-04-2014, 07:32 PM

And a black lab at that.

RunDMV
09-04-2014, 07:35 PM
It isn't really the worry of offending someone so much as the perception it conveys to other people. Hypothetically speaking, at work you start telling a group about your new lab and how he chewed the front bumper cover off of your car, pulled the mail box up and dug all the flowers up in the flower bed and you mentioned his name was "Dixie," some people will immediately think "racist redneck." It is an image that the word conjures up in the mind of many people. You might as well go ahead and put a rebel flag car tag on the front of your car as well...... portrays the same stereotype, for example.

If you are comfortable with it, that is fine. I was just giving my opinion on the names since you asked for opinions and thought I would throw that out there.

If I was going to go Disney theme for a name, I wouldn't use the obvious like Minnie, or Pluto or any of those. I would go with something not so obvious such as "Pixie."
You can't be serious. If someone has a problem with a dog's name being Dixie, we'll it's that person's problem. Talk about getting twisted into a pretzel for nothing.