The Gift......2000

Soul Survivors....2001

Love the Hard Way....2001

Shattered....1991

Love You to Death....1990

Serial Mom......1994

Point of No Return.....1993

The Handmaids Tale....1990

It's funny years ago I could have been able to name Willie Wonka and Dazed & Confused, but with the WW remake and D&C becoming a cult classic, everyone knows about them now....but back in the day when I owed copies of both, people would tell me they never heard of either of those movies. They became popular years after first coming out.

barnaby
08-27-2014, 10:11 PM
True Believer (1989) - James Woods and a young Robert Downey Jr

NJGIRL
08-27-2014, 10:22 PM
I have never heard of that one, but just looked it up and it sounds interesting.....may have to try to rent it.

Mrs Bus Driver
08-28-2014, 07:48 AM
Manhunter, the prequel to Silence of the Lambs. You get a first look at Hannibal Lecter as played by Brian Cox. Pay close attention to the scene on the plane. The director couldn't get a plane to film in on the set so booked a flight for cast and crew from Chicago to Florida and filmed in flight. I understand they gave the flight crew Manhunter jackets for allowing them to do it.

NJGIRL
08-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Manhunter, the prequel to Silence of the Lambs. You get a first look at Hannibal Lecter as played by Brian Cox. Pay close attention to the scene on the plane. The director couldn't get a plane to film in on the set so booked a flight for cast and crew from Chicago to Florida and filmed in flight. I understand they gave the flight crew Manhunter jackets for allowing them to do it.

Love the production story behind this one! I did see that movie a long time ago and thought is was good.

Fangorn
08-28-2014, 02:40 PM
Undercover Blues - 1993
Kathleen Turner, Dennis Quaid, Stanley Tucci,

Hysterical movie. A family favorite. Still quoting lines from it 20 years later.

Steve

PirateLover
08-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Peggy Sue Got Married is the first one that comes to mind. It used to get played on TV a lot, but most people just look at me quizzically when I mention it. Cheesy Nick Cage and Kathleen Turner movie, but I seem to be a sucker for any type of movie involving time travel.:blush:

Katzateer
08-29-2014, 02:44 PM
I love Stardust with Claire Danes as a star that has fallen to earth.

conan617
08-29-2014, 06:57 PM
I love "UHF" (1989) which is Weird Al's (currently) only starring role in a movie.
"I also like Big Man on Campus" also from 1989. It's kind of a modern day "Hunchback of Notre Dame". I wish I could find this on DVD but only have it on vhs.

NJGIRL
08-29-2014, 11:52 PM
Peggy Sue Got Married is the first one that comes to mind. It used to get played on TV a lot, but most people just look at me quizzically when I mention it. Cheesy Nick Cage and Kathleen Turner movie, but I seem to be a sucker for any type of movie involving time travel.:blush:

I love this movie.....watch it every time it's on TV. I think I may have even seen it at the theater when it first came out. Cool to see a young Helen Hunt.

TheDuckRocks
08-30-2014, 10:53 AM
Thank you so much for this post! I have been meaning to get a copy of I Love You To Death and never remember when I'm at the computer. Happy to say I just went on Amazon and will be getting it.

MNNHFLTX
08-30-2014, 01:10 PM
A few come to mind:

Crossing Delancey--maybe not totally unknown, but still not one that I find a lot of people have watched. Some of the characters in this movie remind of my husband's relatives! And I love the romantic chemistry between Amy Irving and Peter Riegert. I've watched this many, many times.

The Snow Walker--a really beautiful movie that I first watched while on vacation in London (my jetlagged husband and son slept through it, which is just as well).

Hachi--oh my gosh, this "dog movie" made me cry, even more so than Marley and Me.

Dear Frankie--just watched this a couple of weeks ago. A simple, yet sweet film. I'm still thinking about it.

dobby2010
08-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Hachi--oh my gosh, this "dog movie" made me cry, even more so than Marley and me.

Oh, we love Hatchi. Bought it for our dog after we rented it and he sat and watched the whole thing. Very sad but beautiful.

ransam
09-04-2014, 03:15 AM
Inside Moves.
It has John Savage in it. Great movie about overcoming handicaps, both physical ones and ones that you create for yourself.

i'm grumpy
09-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Year of the Comet with Tim Daly. :D

Mrs Bus Driver
09-11-2014, 08:40 AM
One of my favorite comedy's "The Burbs". I do enjoy Tom Hanks and think this was one of his best. Gotta love the quote from the garbage man after 2 grown men jump in the back of the truck looking for a body "I hate cul-de-sacs there is only one way out". Then there is the teenager whose parents left home while on vacation. He goes and invites his friends over to watch the neighbors because its the best show in town. The ending is so over the top I love it. :mickey:

BriarRose0708
09-11-2014, 08:52 AM
The Worst Witch. It was an HBO special my parents taped in the mid-eighties and my sister and I watched it all the time as kids. We still do, and have it on DVD.

It's a pre-Harry Potter era movie about a boarding school for young witches and stars Diana Rigg, Tim Curry, and Mrs. Garrett from Facts of Life. When my sister and I met Tim Curry about 10 years ago we told him "we loved you in The Worst Witch" and he laughed so hard. Recently while watching Game of Thrones Diana Rigg plays Lady Olenna and we both went "it's Miss Hardbroom!"

Anytime I bring that movie up to someone in my generation they have no clue what I'm talking about but to me it's a classic!

Mrs Bus Driver
09-11-2014, 10:46 AM
While I haven't seen the worst witch your post reminded me of Hocus Pocus with Bette Middler. This is a fun movie I always enjoyed watching it with my DD.

NJGIRL
09-11-2014, 04:47 PM
The Burbs was a funny movie....one of Tom Hanks better comedies IMO.......See my worst movies of all times list...Tom is on there. :D

MissMaryPoppins
09-11-2014, 05:08 PM
The Worst Witch. It was an HBO special my parents taped in the mid-eighties and my sister and I watched it all the time as kids. We still do, and have it on DVD.

I loved that movie! Now I want to watch it again!

There's a Christmas movie called "29th Street" with Danny Aiello. It's like a mix of "Goodfellas" and "It's A Wonderful Life". The main character, it's based on a true story, has incredible luck but always manages to get himself mixed up with the worst people. It's a very funny movie and the dialogue sticks in your head.

Another one is "Under The Rainbow" with Carrie Fisher and Chevy Chase. It's about how the little people cast to play the Munchkins in "The Wizard of Oz" caused so much trouble in the hotel MGM put them up in during filming. It's a pretty ridiculous movie but my brother and I loved it when we were growing up. A few years ago, my Dad surprised us and tracked down a VHS copy on eBay.

Janmac
09-23-2014, 12:37 PM
The Bishop's Wife

Used to watch this every Christmas but I don't have a dvd version yet. One of those things you forget you were going to look up, by the time you get to the computer.

Jan

Ian
10-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Nomads with Pierce Brosnan. No one has ever heard of it, but it was a good film.

Also the original Repo Men ... hysterical.

RAIDER
10-13-2014, 04:00 PM
The DIsh ..... With Sam Neil about Australia's part sending the pictures and satellite information during Apollo 13 landing .Its a brilliant little feel good film

Crow
10-18-2014, 02:01 AM
Arthur..my father and I used to quote lines

RunDMV
10-18-2014, 06:10 PM
The Changeling with George C Scott....spookiest movie ever.

Lisaj13
01-19-2015, 04:23 PM
Another vote for Worst Witch. My kids loved it.

And my "unknown classic" is - Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

Also, Hot Millions - Peter Ustinov, Maggie Smith, Bob Newhart.

Tink1
01-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Pocketful of Miracles with Bette Davis - an all time fav that people never heard of.

For years it was Harold and Maude, but that became a cult classic as well. My favorite soundtrack of all times.

Nanc

diz_girl
01-28-2015, 03:38 PM
Crossing Delancey--maybe not totally unknown, but still not one that I find a lot of people have watched. Some of the characters in this movie remind of my husband's relatives! And I love the romantic chemistry between Amy Irving and Peter Riegert. I've watched this many, many times.

I love that movie. It's neat to see David Hyde Pierce WAY before he was in Frasier.

For me, I'd have to say it is 'Idiocracy.' It may not be everyone's cup to tea, but I think that it's hilarious.

NJDad
02-15-2015, 07:12 AM
Caught "About Time" on cable sometime last year and fell in love with it, saved it for about a year and showed it to the near 13 year old and wiped him out emotionally last night during the latest snow storm. And DW cried to the brink of dehydration. Lots of hugging here when it was over, not the usual reaction to the end credits.

Asked the family if I should delete it and they said NO!

Mr. Potter would call it 'sentimental hogwash' but it's kinda this millenium's "It's A Wonderful LIfe".

Kid was very upset with the mixed reviews we looked up. Many critics felt it was too similar to "Groundhog Day" as if movies haven't been stealing from each other from take 1. And the couple in this film fall in love first without any manipulations of the magic in the plot.

It is rated R, there's a fairly tame (pre/post) sex scene and one joke about sex that the parents laughed at but wished flew over the head of the tween. And whoever did its wikipedia page clearly didn't like it, noting that reviews were 69% positive but the negative review quotes outnumber the positive by about 2 to 1.

TheDuckRocks
02-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Caught "About Time" on cable sometime last year and fell in love with it .....

Loved this movie so much, we bought it. It now resides in the same section as Love Actually, The Notebook and the Kleenex.

NJGIRL
02-15-2015, 04:34 PM
Caught "About Time" on cable sometime last year and fell in love with it, saved it for about a year and showed it to the near 13 year old and wiped him out emotionally last night during the latest snow storm. And DW cried to the brink of dehydration. Lots of hugging here when it was over, not the usual reaction to the end credits.

Asked the family if I should delete it and they said NO!

Mr. Potter would call it 'sentimental hogwash' but it's kinda this millenium's "It's A Wonderful LIfe".

Kid was very upset with the mixed reviews we looked up. Many critics felt it was too similar to "Groundhog Day" as if movies haven't been stealing from each other from take 1. And the couple in this film fall in love first without any manipulations of the magic in the plot.

It is rated R, there's a fairly tame (pre/post) sex scene and one joke about sex that the parents laughed at but wished flew over the head of the tween. And whoever did its wikipedia page clearly didn't like it, noting that reviews were 69% positive but the negative review quotes outnumber the positive by about 2 to 1.

Was that the Rachel McAdam movie? If so, I saw it at the movie theater about 2 years ago and loved it. It was definitely a sleeper. I don't remember it being sad...but then again I am not an emotional person. I thought it was a sweet movie.

NJDad
02-16-2015, 07:26 AM
Yes, it was Rachel McAdams, and it was not strictly a sad cry.