PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary

Catzle
08-22-2014, 01:43 PM
We are going to Disney for a couple of days in April. We are thinking of staying a night in the cheapest room at the contemporary. Any thoughts good or bad. We will only be going to the water park. We were going to do the parks but was told they are extremely bad and to avoid so we are just going to do the water park and downtown disney then going to the beach.

Tigerinvestigator
08-22-2014, 02:39 PM
The CR is nice and my wife and I honeymooned there long ago. We occasionally stay there, mainly because of the close proximity to MK. If you aren't going to the parks, I cannot imagine why you would want to stay there and pay much more money than a resort like Animal Kingdom Lodge which is fantastic and very close to the water parks and DTD or one of the Epcot resorts. We love the Dolphin as well which can run under $200/night at times. Again I love the CR and if you could afford Bay Lake Towers then it might be worth it for the view, but to stay in one of the wings and pay that much money, I would stay somewhere else!:thumbsup:

ransam
08-24-2014, 03:22 AM
Never stayed at the CR, but I agree. you can get a better deal staying at a different resort that would be closer and better access to the water parks.

javamama
10-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Our favorite, but book early especially for garden rooms! They go very quickly... I tried booking in April for October and was unable:(
I really enjoy it there since my first visit in 79:thumbsup:

baldburke
10-09-2014, 12:25 PM
We were going to do the parks but was told they are extremely bad and to avoid so we are just going to do the water park and downtown disney then going to the beach.

What does this mean when you say the parks are "extremely bad?" Are you think the the crowds will be bad or your overall experience will be bad? I know Easter is next April so it will be busy that week. I know some people go to WDW just to stay and relax but I'd have to agree with the others that there are better choices if you aren;t planning to hit the parks.

AgentC
10-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Since you aren't going to do the parks and it sounds like you are going to have a car since you are going to the beach, you might want to check out the new Four Seasons Orlando and see if it is in your budget. It is on Disney property but it is very secluded with lots of amenities, activities and beautiful grounds. Their pool complex is incredible. They are currently running a 20% off advance 2015 bookings.

mechanic
10-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Cheapest rooms at cr are usually In garden wing. A separate building in back. Not as magical as main building

mickeyman42
10-09-2014, 06:06 PM
Personally I would never consider staying at CR and not staying in the main tower, the garden wing just doesnt seem like its the same as staying AT the contemporary, you know? we havn't stayed at the CR, yet, and have only been able to afford deluxe resorts since buying into DVC (would never be willing to pay for a $300+/per night room for a week) but to me it just wouldn't be worth it just to say we "technically" stayed at the CR. there are other hotels (and probably nicer) closer to where you want to be, for the same or cheaper price tag

Aurora
10-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Confused a bit about the information you're looking for. Your signature says you stayed at the Contemporary two years ago. Did you stay in a tower room? Are you looking for feedback about the price vs. value of the cheapest rooms (most likely garden rooms)? Just trying to give useful information if I can.

Personally, if I planned only to go to the water parks and Downtown Disney, I would stay at Port Orleans, Old Key West or Saratoga Springs. There is no way I could stay at the Contemporary, within sight of the MK, and not go there at least one day. You must have a lot of will power! :mickey:

SBETigg
10-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Are you going within a week or two of Easter? Because we've found April to be a really wonderful time to go to the parks as long as its not too close to Easter. And honestly, even then, it's completely manageable as long as you plan a little and have the hopper. Though a park free vacation can also be lovely.

You might check into renting DVC points. Sometimes, you can get great accommodations for a fair price that way. I've never stayed at the garden wing at the Contemporary, which might be good. I also like Cindy's suggestion. The Four Seasons looks pretty fab for a resort only stay. Happy planning!