PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions re: u-verse

Kenny1113
08-17-2014, 04:18 PM
I hope this ok to post ...

I currently have directv for TV and Comcast for Internet. I am pretty happy with these companies (unless I have to deal with customer service at Comcast :mad:) except for the monthly bill which is rediculous. I can get Internet and cable for significantly less from uverse. U-verse would include more TVs, but quite possibly slower internet, they insist I would get the same however it is 6mbps vs the 20mbps (actual 28) I am paying for now.

I would love to hear about anyone's expiriences regarding U-verse (especially as it compares to directv and Comcast Internet).

TIA.

MNNHFLTX
08-17-2014, 04:35 PM
A question--are they only offering the slower internet speed in your area? I know our internet is much faster than 6mbps (we have Uverse).

The pros about Uverse is that they usually have excellent customer service. Techs are dispatched same day for problems, even on weekends. I love the DVR included with the package--we can record four programs and watch two other shows at the same time.

The cons--they have to come out to change the modem about once a year and the new faster speeds required running a new cable into the house earlier this year. ATT's online bill pay website used to drive me crazy (overly complicated) but has gotten much better recently.

I'm sure they're offering you a special rate right now. Just make sure you understand what the terms will be after the sugn-up rate is over. I actually think Uverse is kind of expensive, but I still like it better than any of the other options here in Houston.

Mrs Bus Driver
08-17-2014, 07:00 PM
A few years back I got fed up with the cost of my cable/internet. I was paying around $150 for high speed internet and basic cable. So I took stock of what we actually needed. We needed high speed internet because one or more of us was always on the computer, playing games or surfing the net. TV however was watched very little as we had netflix and usually would watch a dvd. There were only about 2 channels that we watched on TV and I had to pay for expanded basic cable to get them which drove up the cost. This was about when netflix started offering streaming videos for $8 dollars a month. At the time I could get high speed internet from my provider (cox) for $50 a month. So it was good bye cable hello netflix. Since then I have moved across the country and now pay a whopping $89 a month for high speed Internet (highway robbery) and netflix is still cheaper then cable. Couple of years ago I added amazon prime because I needed free shipping that comes with it, so it pays for itself. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend amazon, however they do have a few things netflix doesn't. And btw because I got netflix early on I'm still paying $8 a month, new customers are paying $10, now that is without getting any DVDs just streaming. I know I have gotten a little long winded but I have been very happy with my decision and just wanted to share another option with you. Happy viewing whatever you do. :D