PDA

View Full Version : Whispering Canyon Cafe - thoughts??

Gregandmel
08-13-2014, 12:15 PM
I have made dinner reservations at Whispering Canyon Café at Wilderness Lodge and wondered if anyone had any input on this experience? It'll just be my husband and I but wanted to know how the food is, and is it completely obnoxious with the antics?? LOL. Just curious to know what to expect. Thanks for any insight!!! :thumbsup:

rhonary
08-13-2014, 12:37 PM
We've been 2 or 3 times with the kids when they were younger...it was really fun...might lose some of that if its just the 2 of you...but that depends on you...we enjoyed it. The food was really good when we were there except for the last time...for me any way...my rib eye was tough and over cooked and the girl that served us was no fun at all...but that was our only "bad" time there. I think its worth a try...but if you don't like a little noise and carrying on you may want to pass!

disneymom15
08-13-2014, 01:52 PM
We've been several times, and really enjoyed it. The food was very good and I didn't think the antics were over the top at all.

4disneynuts
08-13-2014, 01:57 PM
This is one of our favorites places to go. It is tradition for our family to eat our first meal each trip the night we get to Disney here. Our daughters love it. Even though they are now adults they still love all the fun. Enjoy!

tinkx2
08-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks for this question... My daughter and I were thinking about eating there our first night. Plans to check in make our way over th MK and take the monorail around to see Christmas decorations (going 15 -21 Dec) at the deluxe Hotels and ending our tour at Wilderness Lodge (my favorite). The menu looks yummy... didn't know about the antics... what does this involve?

1goofyfamily
08-14-2014, 02:02 PM
this has become one my family's favorite places. We all really like the food and tend to way over eat. The servers get a feel for you pretty quick if you want to joke around or not but we always eat here with 10+ people so it ends up being a really fun experience for the people we bring that have never been....especially for the ketchup users.

KylesMom
08-14-2014, 04:00 PM
This is one of our 'must dine' locations each trip. I know what you mean about over-eating here, 1goofyfamily!

It is my family's opinion that over the years they have really toned down the antics - but it is still a happy, lively, yummy place, regardless!:thumbsup: We've always gotten the skillets - it's a good value. Their milkshakes are wonderful, too!!!

natedog24
08-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Done it with a big group(12 people) and done it with 2 people. Loved it both times. Like others, we tend to overeat there, but it's enjoyable. There were more shenanigans with the big group, but it was still fun with 2 of us. I have ADRs for 6 of us for our next trip. Can't wait!

NJGIRL
08-15-2014, 10:01 AM
We love it there, but it is very loud and high energy. Our meals and service have always been good.

ransam
08-18-2014, 01:36 AM
Never been there but planning on our next trip.

VacationDisney
08-18-2014, 10:19 AM
We have eaten here and really enjoyed the experience. The last time it was just myself and my husband and we had a great time. We like watching the expressions on people who have never been before. It's like a dinner show in itself:cloud9:

kerry827
08-18-2014, 08:11 PM
food was great. We ordered the skillet....lots of meat. Desserts were DELICIOUS!!!

As for the antics, you don't have to participate if you do not want to. They give you a card to leave on your table indicating your preference: to participate or just watch the action.

PS: if you are on the dining plan your beverage options include BOTTOMLESS milkshakes!!!!!!!

joonyer
08-18-2014, 09:05 PM
food was great. We ordered the skillet....lots of meat. Desserts were DELICIOUS!!!

As for the antics, you don't have to participate if you do not want to. They give you a card to leave on your table indicating your preference: to participate or just watch the action.

PS: if you are on the dining plan your beverage options include BOTTOMLESS milkshakes!!!!!!!

:ditto: :ditto: :exactly: :exactly:

Bottomless shakes are totally awesome and delicious. !!! Love WCC.

Mfarquar
08-19-2014, 02:56 PM
We've dined here many times. I have to say, that we found the food to decline in quality (simply compared to our previous visits). That said, it's a great place if you love all-you-can-eat.

I have been here several times as just adults and also as an adult couple and have eaten in the main dining room and elsewhere in the restaurant.

I find that if you are only 2 adults, they tend to seat you in one of the back rooms. Here, there is still great themeing and silliness (for example, they brought "jail" to the table of a little girl who wouldn't eat her vegetables), but it is much quieter and less foot trafficked than the main dining room. As a party of 2 adults, we have also been seated on the "porch" area that overlooks part of the lobby/hotel. It is very quiet in this location and you don't see very much by way of the server/child antics (except that one time where we saw the other all-adult table skip out on paying their check - a totally different type of show!).

So, based on my experience, you could quite possibly be seated in a more quiet area of the restaurant when they see that you are two adults (especially since most of the seating in the main dining room is for larger parties). That said, if you have your heart set on a more boisterous experience with a lot of children literally running around (there is a very comical "pony race"), I'm sure you could request a seat in the main dining room.

P.S. Do not ask for ketchup unless you are interested in having every child present bring you a bottle from their table. :)

P.S.S. If you you've had a loooooong day in the parks and are looking for a relaxing atmosphere and a lot of personal space, this may not be the restaurant for you!

pox24
08-21-2014, 10:20 AM
One great thing about eating there is that now you can choose to be part of the antics or just enjoy a great meal, watch the antics and be left alone. That's decided by a round chip on your table indicating your choice. Food is great.:thumbsup:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-21-2014, 10:41 AM
We've dined here many times. I have to say, that we found the food to decline in quality (simply compared to our previous visits). That said, it's a great place if you love all-you-can-eat.

I would agree with this. The wife and I ate there maybe 5-6 years ago, by ourselves, and I thought the food quality to be pretty good. On our 2012 visit we took the kids and I don't know, I found the food to be just kind of underwhelming. Its a buffet, so you can stuff yourself I guess, but my immediate impression upon leaving was that the food wasn't as good as I had remembered.

At the time, after we got back, went on the message boards, and a lot of people were saying the same thing. Maybe its changed again.

Main Street Jim
08-22-2014, 09:57 PM
The menu looks yummy... didn't know about the antics... what does this involve?Do they still do the Pony Races? :D

One of the first times we went (about ten years ago), my wife dropped her fork on the floor. The server came over and said, "I'll bring you another one; I'll be right back." He comes back with a six-foot-long wooden fork. "Lemme see ya drop *that*," he says...:D

RBrooksC
08-28-2014, 09:34 AM
The last time we dined there, they did the pony races.

We try to go there each time we visit. We always get the skillet and it is something my wife and I both enjoy.

The antics are fun and are a big part of why we go there. We love those little "plusses" that enhance a dining experience.

I'm also glad to see we aren't the only ones who view this restaurant as something that "must be done" when visiting the resort.

mydisneygirls
08-28-2014, 08:33 PM
We ate there last night. Even though they brought back the original skillet, I tried it and didn't like it. Found the meat to be very dry and didn't like the taste at all. The waitress was kind enough to let me order a steak instead and that was very good. Some of the waiters were extremely funny and if I was feeling better....came down with a horrible cold...would have enjoyed it more. That said, I'm glad I tried it again but don't know if I'd go back.