PDA

View Full Version : Driving down 9/14

PETE FROM NYC
08-11-2014, 06:34 PM
We are driving from NYC, Sunday morning 9/14.

Any problems on 95 that we should know about??

faline
08-11-2014, 07:25 PM
There are some web sites that list any ongoing construction issues - just try a google search and I'm sure you find the information you're looking for - after all what is happening now might be quite different than what is going on several weeks from now.

hauntedmansiongirl
08-14-2014, 03:32 AM
We'll be just a little ahead of you- leaving from Toronto. We're taking a few days to drive down and catching the NHRA drag races in Charlotte, NC on the way down. We're checking into Disney on the Sunday. I'm ordering a Trip Tik from CAA (Canadian AAA) this week- if they find anything I'll let you know.

There is also an I-95 app. I think it's free or really cheap. It has restaurants, shopping etc at every exit.

:mickey:

russ57
08-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Be very mindful of speed south of Richmond to St, Pete, Known as a speed trap, and believe this is how they fund the local municipality. Know of one Bus that got stopped with all passengers being hauled into the court with the driver.

magicofdisney
08-14-2014, 08:02 PM
We've driven this route a few times in the last several months. Near Quantico (Triangle), around the Marine Corps Museum, there is construction right now that has STOPPED us up every time. A couple of times we were on the HOV and mistakenly got off at the wrong time (no thanks to our GPS :-/) My iPhone was fairly descent giving me traffic updates. When our GPS would redirect us, somewhat properly, I'd use the iPhone to fine tune the navigations.

The last trip we drove straight through to our home in FL, leaving from Newark. It was about a 17hr drive and this included stopping for gas and fast-food stops. In the past we've stopped in Selma/Smithfield, NC, for an overnighter. It's reported as being the halfway point between NY and FL. The hotels are newer, they have adequate food offerings, and there's a mall for shopping.

Melanie
08-14-2014, 08:19 PM
We've driven this route a few times in the last several months. Near Quantico (Triangle), around the Marine Corps Museum, there is construction right now that has STOPPED us up every time.

Yep. I was over there earlier today. It's always a mess! As an alternative, you could get on a Route 1 through that area.

steamboat willy
08-17-2014, 11:30 AM
We are driving from NYC, Sunday morning 9/14.

Any problems on 95 that we should know about??

Hey Pete, we're driving down on Sept. 12 from NC. We pick up I-95 near Chareston SC and take it the rest of the way to I-4. We also take advantage of SR 417 (Toll) Sanford straight to DISNEY missing all the I-4 mess around Orlando and other Attractions. I also purchased a Sunpass and I just load what change I need for the trip. Don't even have to slow down at Toll Booths! :car:
If I see any "construction type" issues I will pass it on to you. Our 30th anniversary is the 15th and you can find us at OHANA's. See you there! :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
08-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Pete Google I-95 Guide... There is a pretty good and up to date website which provides construction zones, lodging, and dining on I-95... I drive from NJ, right near NYC... Any questions, do not hesitate to ask..

kerry827
08-18-2014, 07:36 PM
We make the same trip every other year. We are just back yesterday and all in all it was a smooth trip.

We left NJ early morning and were stopped for VERY slow moving traffic in Virginia. They claim it was due to construction but outside of just orange cones there was not one person working! We were slowed down but for not as long on the way home too.

We made it to Savannah (exit 104) where we stayed for the night and continued our voyage in the am. From Savannah to Orlando it was just under 5 hrs which included a stop for free OJ @ Florida Welcome Center. We were sorry to see our typical Savannah hotel closed so we stayed in a neighboring one, Fairfield Suites. It was ok nothing fancy as we just needed a few hours of shut eye. There is a close Walmart and many other restaurants and stores if you need anything. It is literally right off the interstate.

steamboat willy
08-25-2014, 06:50 PM
So no BIG slow downs due to construction, Savannah to Sanford, , Fl?

kerry827
08-26-2014, 04:18 PM
So no BIG slow downs due to construction, Savannah to Sanford, , Fl?

Not that slowed us down at all. Traffic was smooth that part of our trip. It was a weekend though so Idk if that will make a difference.

baldburke
08-26-2014, 10:07 PM
I-495 in Delaware is all clear as of this last weekend (8/24)

PunkyBBB
08-27-2014, 07:48 AM
95S - Springfield Area to at least Fredericksburg - exit 130 95S - will be a mess just about anytime of the day or night you travel. You will be very lucky if you can just make it through without slowness or stop and go. They are working on the "new" hot lanes and close most lanes during the night.

steamboat willy
09-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Hey Pete, it's getting close. We are going to Our 9/11 Fireman's Memorial Service on that morning at our Fireman's Monument here in NC, then home to pack the car.
We are leaving middle of night on September 12th and check into Allstar Sports on morning of September 13.
As I told you I will pass on anything I see or hopefully don't see on our way down. We pick-up I-95 at I-26 coming from Columbia SC.
However, I just ask my Truck Driving Nephew who runs up to NY and then all the way down to Tampa, Fl. as recent as last week. He said No slow down due to construction, but significant slow down on I-4 due to traffic and rain. So whats new....right!
Update end of next week after arriving at WDW.

PS - SR 417 out of Sanford, Fl - Keeps you moving.

PETE FROM NYC
09-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Hey Pete, it's getting close. We are going to Our 9/11 Fireman's Memorial Service on that morning at our Fireman's Monument here in NC, then home to pack the car.
We are leaving middle of night on September 12th and check into Allstar Sports on morning of September 13.
As I told you I will pass on anything I see or hopefully don't see on our way down. We pick-up I-95 at I-26 coming from Columbia SC.
However, I just ask my Truck Driving Nephew who runs up to NY and then all the way down to Tampa, Fl. as recent as last week. He said No slow down due to construction, but significant slow down on I-4 due to traffic and rain. So whats new....right!
Update end of next week after arriving at WDW.

PS - SR 417 out of Sanford, Fl - Keeps you moving.

Thanks. I'll check here before we leave.

mgmnut
09-09-2014, 06:59 AM
3 more days for Steamboat Willie and 5 days for Pete.

Have a safe trip, I hope traffic cooperates.

Have a great Time!!

hauntedmansiongirl
09-10-2014, 02:20 AM
We are leaving tomorrow and our CAA triptik showed no issues on the 95- but lots on the I-4. That 417 toll road sounds very tempting! :mickey: