PDA

View Full Version : Underrated Dining

ransam
08-11-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm looking for an underrated restaurant to eat at. We all know how good O'Hana, California Grill, Be Our Guest, etc... are in not just food and atmosphere.
But any suggestions to a dining experience that some people may not know about or someone would be surprised how good it is?

thanks.

Melanie
08-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Kona Cafe has to be one of the more underrated restaurants on resort (being overshadowed by its more popular brother). Except at breakfast, of course, everyone knows that one.

I have to agree, although I LOVE breakfast at Kona. Thing is, I don't like 'Ohana for dinner. At all. But 'Ohana for breakfast is my favorite character breakfast.

chefmickey3
08-11-2014, 06:59 PM
A second vote for Kona Café. We also really enjoyed The Grand Floridian Café. It was very elegant but yet appropriate for my school age kids. We had some amazing desserts and a wonderful break from the Magic Kingdom.

faline
08-11-2014, 07:19 PM
I agree. Kona Cafe is a favorite of mine. I also enjoy Grand Floridian Cafe. Olivia's Cafe at Old Key West is a bit out of the way but is quite good as well. The Turf Club at Saratoga was also quite good the one time we ate there.

Jiko is an excellent restaurant. I prefer eating at Jiko than Boma.

Gator
08-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Teppen Edo is always a good experience, with excellent scallops!

Tangerine Cafe in Morocco has great Gyro sandwiches and baklava.

Since you're not from the east coast, I'll recommend Tony's TownSquare. For us non-Italians, it's really good Italian food.

For some good'ol comfort food, head to Liberty Tree Tavern. It's Christmas Dinner without all the prep work.

eam
08-11-2014, 08:42 PM
I also enjoyed the Plaza Restaurant when I ate there for the first time a couple of years ago. Been going to Disney since '72, and only been there the one time. To me, it is a hidden jewel.

BrowncatP
08-11-2014, 09:18 PM
I had dinner at Olivia's at Key West. The waiter I had named Ken was very good. Food was fine. Small place. After lunch or dinner take the boat to DTD. Went there on July 27.

MargaretMessler
08-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Kona Café, Tangerine Café (Morocco), to second choices from prev posters.

Liberty Tree Tavern, Columbia Harbor House

SBETigg
08-11-2014, 09:41 PM
I can't really think of Kona as underrated. Everyone has been raving about it for years here. And, I've had some terrible meals there and won't go back. So... I think it's overrated. I'm sure this is going to be the case with almost any WDW restaurant, depends on who you talk to.

My underrated list:
Grand Floridian Cafe. Sanaa. Citricos. Flying Fish Cafe. Raglan Road. Tokyo Dining.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-11-2014, 09:41 PM
DH always enjoys Oliva's, and Boatwright's is a family favourite. :)

VacationDisney
08-11-2014, 10:02 PM
I think Raglan Road and Rose & Crown are hidden gems:blush:

mgmnut
08-11-2014, 10:02 PM
I like the Trails End over at Fort Wilderness. It's A nice resort shuttle boat ride over from MK and it's an all you can eat buffet.

I thought the food was great! :thumbsup:

We have only had dinner there but I also hear the breakfast is excellent too.

Janmac
08-12-2014, 12:22 AM
Our picks:

Boatwrights at Port Orleans Riverside. Plenty of choices on the menu, fun drinks and a different décor, with the boat above.

Trail's End, as another poster mentioned. This is a buffet, red gingham table cloths, and nothing fancy. Pizza, chili, cold you-peel shrimp. Comfort food. We try to eat here every trip.

Perhaps a little easier to get to: Big River Grill and Brew Pub (or whatever it's name is :blush:) at the Boardwalk. We went here on our last trip (Feb 2013) for a snack. Ordered appetizers and the beer flight and oh boy. We should have gotten half the appetizers and shared.

I'm not sure if it's underrated - Marrakesh at Morocco in Epcot. Rarely any crowd, always good service and usually good food. Another place we eat try to eat at every time. This is the place I like to get an appetizer and a dessert and skip the entrée altogether. The entrees I've had have been good it's just that the appetizer/dessert is so good and the entrée doesn't leave any room. :D

Jan

ransam
08-12-2014, 02:18 AM
the tangerine café, someone told me that you can use that as a counter service?

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Yes, Tangerine Cafe is a CS meal, and you can use a DDP credit for it.

The other two restaurants in Morocco are Restaurant Marrakesh (a TS meal, and you can use a TS DDP credit) and Spice Road (no DDP accepted).

BriarRose0708
08-12-2014, 08:56 AM
the tangerine café, someone told me that you can use that as a counter service?

Tangerine Cafe is only counter service, and it's my favorite spot in EPCOT for quick service meals! It's also fairly underused, not necessarily underrated. I don't think I've read more than a handful of negative or so-so reviews.

My favorite places that aren't as popular but still very good are Grand Floridian Tea Room, Jiko, and Liberty Tree Tavern lunch.

mydisneygirls
08-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Captain's Grille at the Yatch Club. We go every trip. GREAT steak - you could cut it with your fork it's so tender. I was told it's the same steak served at the Yatchsman.

etibbetts
08-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Captain's Grille at the Yatch Club. We go every trip. GREAT steak - you could cut it with your fork it's so tender. I was told it's the same steak served at the Yatchsman.

I second the Captain's Grille. Very good food, service and atmosphere!

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-12-2014, 12:59 PM
I agree with Kona for breakfast and also to me the most underrated CS is Starring Rolls at DHS.

conan617
08-12-2014, 02:30 PM
I don't hear much talk about it, but I LOVE Boma. It's the only restaurant we are repeating this trip from last trip.

ransam
08-12-2014, 06:34 PM
I agree with Starring Rolls. Last trip I went it was an accident I ate there. I wasn't planning on it, but I was hungry, there it was so I ate there. it was awesome.

ANG
08-13-2014, 08:14 AM
We've enjoyed The Maya Grill at Coronado. Excellent salmon!

DisneyFan1979
08-13-2014, 04:02 PM
I agree on Captain's Grille. The decor is dull, but the food is excellent. Excellent alternative to the very pricey Yachtsman Steakhouse. And you can always get an ADR.

I also find Crews Cup Lounge (which is in between Captain's Grille and Yachtsman) to be a hidden gem. They dinner menu is small but it reflects menu items from both the Grille and the Yachtsman. High-quality for last-minute dining. Though probably not kid-friendly since it is a bar.

hauntedmansiongirl
08-14-2014, 01:45 AM
We love the Trails End Buffet at Fort Wilderness- ribs, fried chicken, pizza, sundae bar. Small buffet but everything on it is great.

My DH loves Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Mama Melrose at DHS. We both love 50s Prime Time Cafe at DHS. You just can't beat the milkshakes and sundaes!

Artist Point at WL is amazing! Some of the best food we've ever tried for 2 dining plan credits. Narcossees has amazing lobster for 2 credits as well. We can't wait to go back on September! :mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
08-15-2014, 04:25 PM
I agree that Kona is one of those places that sits in the shadow of Ohana and doesn't get the recognition as a great place, but it is.

Mama Melrose has made a great comeback and the last three or four meals there it has been fantastic. It has become a favorite again after years of blah. Everyone in our party has agreed the food is really really good!

Bluezoo doesn't get alot of attention either, but has a very different menu and atmosphere. It is a great place for a couple to get away from the parks and you can always go to the boardwalk after.:thumbsup:

Arielfan98
08-16-2014, 01:31 AM
Turf Club Grill and Bar

DonaldDuckUSA
08-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Since you're not from the east coast, I'll recommend Tony's TownSquare. For us non-Italians, it's really good Italian food.

This little Italian lady will NEVER eat there, but your comment had me laughing. :thumbsup:

:funny:

Happy dining!

NJGIRL
08-17-2014, 12:11 PM
This little Italian lady will NEVER eat there, but your comment had me laughing. :thumbsup:

:funny:

Happy dining!

I'm with you on that. We ate there once and the gravy tasted like Ragu...only at a much higher price.

akaDisneyDreamer
08-17-2014, 12:25 PM
I'm going to have to say Yak & Yeti (Table service) in Animal Kingdom park. It's a favorite and a must do for us, and I don't see it getting much attention. Also, have to agree with many of the other posters about Kona Café, not just for breakfast, but had a wonderful dinner there as well.

ransam
08-18-2014, 01:28 AM
wow. I love Tony's.

LandFan
08-22-2014, 08:17 PM
We like Sanaa, The Biergarten, 9 Dragons was surprisingly good for lunch the last time we went, Sunshine Seasons, Tangerine Cafe, Kringla Og Bakery, Flametree BBQ, The bar at Yak & Yeti (I can get my mango pie!), BOMA, JIKO, Flying Fish, The Grand Floridian Cafe...

That's a start anyway... :mickey:

mickclub1955
08-22-2014, 11:10 PM
I am going to have to go with The Wave of American Flavors on the bottom floor of the Contemporary. I took my wife there for her birthday and it was a really nice restaurant. The prices were not that bad for the amount of food that you received. I was really impressed with it.

Maryln8
09-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Grand Floridian Cafe