PDA

View Full Version : Autotrain ?

yjgirl32
08-04-2014, 10:06 AM
I was just curious as to how early everyone arrives at the station? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-04-2014, 02:00 PM
On the southbound trip, we tend to arrive around 1pm. We bring lunch (usually subway) with us and sit and eat and watch them load the cars until boarding around 2:30pm.

For the northbound trip, we usually eek out every last minute at Disney, and don't arrive until a bit after 2 or so ... again, usually with a snack in hand.

I've only recently learned that you can check-in, pick a dinner seating (a big part of arriving early), but not actually check your car. This means you can leave and come back closer to boarding.

Don't forget that the cut-off's (2pm for priority off-loading and 3pm for regular cars) are strict ... we were close once and watched them close the gates right behind us, 3pm SHARP!)

yjgirl32
08-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Thank you for the info. We too were thinking of arriving around 12:30 for southbound train. I also was going to take hoagies along to eat while at the train station. What time of year did you go and was it crowded?

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Great plan! We've been a few times (January, May, August & October) and the southbound January trip was by far the busiest (100% sold out). The station does get fairly full close to boarding, but there is always enough room for everyone.

We did enjoy watching them load the cars as well, and it helped pass the time.

In terms of being on the train, even the sold-out train was OK, the lounge cars get packed, but otherwise all was good.

hauntedmansiongirl
08-05-2014, 02:04 AM
We've never taken the auto train, but it sure sounds intriguing! We have a big pick up truck. Do you know if pick up trucks can go on the train? We have a mustang too but the F150 is our main travel vehicle :)

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-05-2014, 12:44 PM
The size requirements are:

Standard factory-model (originally manufactured length) automobiles, vans, SUVs and trucks. No dual wheel vehicles. No gull wing doors.

- Maximum height: 88 inches.
- Maximum width: 84 inches.
- Ground clearance: at least 4 inches.

We drive a smallish Kia, so I've never thought about larger trucks ... but I have seen all sorts of vehicles being loaded, SUV's, fancy sports cars that needed special waivers, and a lot of boring old cars like ours.

yjgirl32
08-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all your help and information. Very helpful!!!!

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Glad to help! We've really enjoyed taking the train, so I'm a big fan ... hope your trip is super too!