PDA

View Full Version : TikiFamily Summer 2014 Trip Report

TikiGoddess
07-30-2014, 09:15 AM
This year I've opted to do a summary of our vacation. I'm sure you all don't want to read the 9 pages of the original version I typed up... so here's the best stuff!

We spent 4 days at my in-law's house in Tampa before going to Disney, Sunday - Wednesday.

Magic Moments
Sunday was Epcot day. The best moment in the morning was at Soarin’. So for years I’ve been telling the kids that I’m going to catch the golf ball in Soarin’. And they keep telling me, Mom, it’s just a movie. You can’t catch the golf ball. But each year I keep trying. So FINALLY, this year, I CAUGHT THE GOLF BALL. I handed it to my older daughter, Julie, and you should have seen the look on her face. Amazement. Then she handed it to her sister, Katie, and the general feeling was “how did you DO that??” (Katie later told me she didn’t try very hard to catch the golf ball this year… and that next year she would definitely try harder)

Of course, they had their doubts. They are smart children and are 11 and 9. So after the ride I was questioned about how I came to catch the golf ball. Katie said we should ask a CM if it was possible. So I said, ok, let’s go ask. So we went out to the front desk and asked a nice CM there, “Is it possible to catch the golf ball on Soarin’?” And he confirmed that yes, indeed, you could catch the golf ball. Mommy triumphant.

On Sunday evening as we were reentering the park, who but ICOT’s own Christine (and her husband John) comes up to say hello! They were headed to the Sounds Like Summer concert series (2U). If you’ve never met Christine, she’s the friendliest and nicest person around. I hope we run into her again sometime (preferably at Ohanas).

On Monday we started at the Studios, then took a pool break at the hotel. Around 4pm, we headed over to the Magic Kingdom to use our FPs for the day. Unfortunately we had to deal with some stubborn rain and thunder/lightning over the course of the evening. We were lucky enough to have FPs for Mine Train AND to be right near the entrance when they reopened the ride after the lightning had passed. I was really impressed with the thrill level and the smoothness of the ride. It was much more exciting than I thought it would be. Lots of good drops. (I want to ride it some time when it’s not raining…) The AA figures were great too, and the cottage at the end was a really nice touch.

On Tuesday, Tinker Bell left us a special gift in our room – a monorail resort scavenger hunt, with two mystery envelopes as prizes. We had to find 5 specific things at each resort, each worth 5 points. Tim and Julie started at the Contemporary and Katie and I went to the Polynesian. (Wow, the Poly is in major rehab. It looks SO different. I can’t wait to see it done…) We all had a grand time going to each resort and trading pins, getting pressed pennies, leis, and taking pictures. Tim and Julie won by 5 points but no big deal, both kids got a prize of $10.

My other magical moment on Tuesday: I headed down to the front desk to see if they could locate Katie’s hat that she had lost at the Studios the day before. I ended up talking to Jeff and Joyce at the desk for about 30 minutes. Lost and Found had Jeff on hold for about 20 minutes and we spent the time sharing Disney rumors and stories. Towards the end, Joyce said she would like to give us a little magic in our vacation, and asked me what FP we would like for the next day! I chose to see Mickey on Main Street, as it was something that I really wanted to do. Jeff finally got through to Lost and Found but they didn’t have Katie’s hat. I filled out some paperwork so that if it did show up, they would sent it to us. (hasn’t shown up yet, a week later…) I did write an email to guest communications yesterday to praise Jeff and Joyce for going above and beyond in their duties. It was really wonderful to have two dedicated CMs helping me.

Priceless moment of the day: being able to meet our longtime friends and their family for dinner at the California Grill.

On Wednesday we spent the day at the Magic Kingdom and headed back to Tampa around 6pm. Breakfast at the Crystal Palace started the day off right. We wanted to ride Mine Train right at park opening but it was closed… so we went to see Ana and Elsa instead. Ana was very funny and talkative and Elsa did a great job talking to the girls. But as we left, Katie said, “People wait two hours for THAT?”
We had an awesome time riding Buzz, Splash, Thunder, and Space Mountain with our friends. The advance FPs made it all possible!

After saying goodbye to our friends, we split up – Tim had an appointment at the barber shop to get his hair cut. The girls and I went on one of their favorites, Carousel of Progress. We got a text from my husband saying that he was done so we went to Main Street. It was time to meet Mickey with our bonus FP! My husband had done some shopping in the Emporium – he bought himself 2 ties and got me a pin set… and a Safari Duffy bear! When he pulled him out of the bag I admit to shedding a few tears. My husband always knows what I want but will not buy for myself.

So on this emotional note, we went to see Mickey. It was wonderful. Mickey greeted each of us and talked to us about the Haunted Mansion. We had our picture taken like the hitchhiking ghosts. As we were leaving we heard Mickey say, “hurry back…” I couldn’t stop smiling after that.

TikiGoddess
07-30-2014, 09:16 AM
FP+

I LOVE the new Fastpass+. It was so nice to go to a park in the morning and not have to worry about running to get Fastpasses. Or being able to book FPs in the late afternoon when park hopping! We were guaranteed to get on our favorite rides. And being able to add rides in the afternoon and evening helped a lot – usually in a summer afternoon there’s a line for EVERYTHING, including rides like “small world”. We were able to get a FP for Haunted Mansion at 3:20pm (about 15 minutes after I made the FP reservation). The only downside to the FP+ is that they do not have enough kiosks in the park. It was a trek to find some of them. But the staff at the locations were very well informed and helpful (it reminded me of an Apple store…) I hope eventually we will be able to book additional FPs through our mobile devices.

Magic Bands

The ease of the Magic Band. To have everything attached to your wrist – hotel room key, Fastpass, park admission, charging priviledges… Awesome. Things went very smoothly for us. It seems like Disney is getting the kinks out of the system and the CMs know how to handle any disruptions. (I was surprised to see how many guests were not using them. I guess I had an overinflated idea of how many people stay onsite. But the new cards seem to work just as well.)

Hotel

We were able to rent point from a fellow ICOT member and stay at our first DVC property. Bay Lake was very nice. The room (a lake view studio) was fine in size and amenities. Our 9 and 11 yr old daughters had to share the sofa bed and there were a few moments of “get your elbow out of my face”. We liked the sliding door to the bathroom. The water pressure in the shower left much to be desired but then again, we were on the 14th floor. I had requested a high floor, north facing room and we had received just that. Our view from the balcony alone was worth the price of the room. Straight ahead was the north part of Bay Lake, and to the left was a full view of the Magic Kingdom, with Space Mountain in the foreground. We could see (and hear) the train as it made its trip around the park. We watched the fireworks every night from the balcony, with the music piped in either from my iPad or from channel 105 on the tv. I spent a lot out there, just enjoying the view.
The short walk to the Contemporary put dining, shopping, and entertainment close by. We were very impressed with the Contempo Café. The food was excellent and the setting is great – we could watch the monorails go by as we ate! The coffee place in the lobby was good too, although expensive. I will pay any price to get fresh brewed, unsweetened iced tea and not have to drink Gold Peak. (They also had strawberry frosted donuts the size of my 9 year old’s head.)

The Bay Lake Pool has a zero entry and some fountains, and the best pool slide we’ve ever encountered. Long and fast! The girls and I spent a good hour going on the slide and floating around in the pool. My girls didn’t like that there were no deep areas in the pool, but that’s pretty standard for most Disney pools.
The location of the hotel was excellent for the Magic Kingdom. We could walk over in about 5 minutes, and then the hotel was the first stop on the way back. We liked being able to go to the other hotels and visit. But going to Epcot was a bit of an ordeal. Having to take a monorail to the TTC, then switch over to the Epcot monorail (and do the opposite on the way back) was not ideal, especially when you have to ride the monorail past all the other stops on the way back.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay at Bay Lake. The only thing missing, to me and my husband, was a little Disney magic. The hotel feels very much like any other hotel. I really missed the immersive feel of the AKL or WL. When I go to Disney, I want to be taken to a different place and time in my mind. For our next trip we may get two rooms at Pop or Port Orleans (the girls are getting bigger…) or possibly stay at AKL again.

Food

Table service:
California Grill: we went here with a party of 10, consisting of our family, a friend’s family, and the friend’s parents. We had a table right next to the window overlooking the Magic Kingdom. The food was excellent. My husband and I shared two of the sushi dishes. This is an expensive restaurant (our bill for a family of 4 was $200, tip included) but the view and the food are definitely worth it.
Crystal Palace: we had an 8am reservation for breakfast on our Magic Kingdom day. We were let into the park around 7:45 which gave us enough time to get some pictures on Main Street. When the restaurant opened for the morning, all of the wait staff came to the door to greet the waiting guests. And our family was the first one called to their table! We’ve been going to Crystal Palace for many years and that’s never happened. The buffet was delicious as always. The characters had a ball playing with Katie’s new stuffed Pooh bear. We got out of the restaurant in enough time to be at the front of the crowd (before they opened the main gates) in Fantasyland, and were the 2nd family in line to meet Ana and Elsa.

Counter Service:
Be Our Guest: I had scored a FP online and had pre-ordered our meal. It was an excellent service – we checked in and then went to a CM at a separate computer. She checked our meal order, took payment, and handed us a rose. We found our way to the West Wing and got a table. What GREAT theming in all the rooms. (The bathroom could be a little bigger, for such a large restaurant.) But the two side rooms were just wonderfully done and the ballroom was pretty too, just a little too noisy for my tastes. The food was excellent too and we liked that you could do your own drinks. I think we will definitely be back here again, especially if we can do the FP.

TikiGoddess
07-30-2014, 09:18 AM
So that's it, folks!

And what's up for the TikiFamily next year? We might be mixing things up and spending some time at Universal. Harry Potter is very appealing to my two girls...

Thanks for reading!
Kathy

yjgirl32
07-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Great report. Thanks so much for sharing.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Thanks for sharing (and I love your Trip Reports ... I would have read the 9 page version!)

Glad it was a good trip, and have fun planning the next one. :)

faline
07-30-2014, 10:04 AM
I, too, would have read the 9 page version!! Still, great report and it sounds like it was a wonderful trip!!

Mickey'sGirl
07-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Great summary! Thanks for sharing.

cer
07-30-2014, 11:54 AM
I too, would have read the 9 page version!

So...just wondering if the golf ball you caught had the hidden mickey on it? :mickey:

Melanie
07-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Great report, Kathy! I liked following along while you were there via FB. :)

I, too, was struck by the same thought with the bands, and lack of folks wearing them.

KylesMom
07-30-2014, 03:21 PM
What a lovely trip, Kathy. I was happy to see someone with a positive experience of FP+ throughout the entirety of their trip. It seemed to work great for you.

The golf ball story had me cracking up! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful memories with us! :mickey:

P.S. - How sweet of DH with Safari Duffy!!!!!

Checkers
07-30-2014, 07:18 PM
:mickey:thanks for sharing your fun with us!

TikiGoddess
07-31-2014, 08:14 AM
I too, would have read the 9 page version!

So...just wondering if the golf ball you caught had the hidden mickey on it? :mickey:

Yes, it did, but (shh) it's starting to rub off. I'll have to do some touch up on it before the girls notice.

Kathy

cer
07-31-2014, 08:56 AM
Yes, it did, but (shh) it's starting to rub off. I'll have to do some touch up on it before the girls notice.

Kathy

Nice!

vizsla
08-04-2014, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the report.

hauntedmansiongirl
08-05-2014, 02:21 AM
Great idea for the scavenger hunt! I'm going to copy you when we take our nieces next year! Thanks so much for sharing! :mickey:

princessgirls
08-05-2014, 01:36 PM
What a wonderful trip Kathy!

Glad you had positive experiences with FP+!!!

Thanks for sharing!
Julie:mickey:

TikiGoddess
08-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Great idea for the scavenger hunt! I'm going to copy you when we take our nieces next year! Thanks so much for sharing! :mickey:

Let me know if you'd like a copy of the scavenger hunt. I can email you a Word doc.

Kathy

baldburke
08-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Is TikiGoddess related to TikiMan? We love the TikiMan's insight! :tikki::papple:

TikiGoddess
08-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Is TikiGoddess related to TikiMan? We love the TikiMan's insight! :tikki::papple:

'Fraid not. My husband is more :piano: than :tikki:.

:)
kathy

baldburke
08-07-2014, 10:10 PM
'Fraid not. My husband is more :piano: than :tikki:.

:thumbsup:

MrPeetrie
08-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Great summary. Like many others, I, too, would have read the nine-page report. It sounds like you had a magical trip.

emerzmom
08-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Sounds like a really great trip! Thanks for sharing.
:tink:
Julie

Lindslou
10-08-2014, 05:59 PM
That was a lovely summary! Thanks so much for sharing!!