PDA

View Full Version : December

DDoftwo
07-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Ok, so I know the week we are going is crazy (12/25-1/2). I am not expecting to do it all, and will remain flexible. Here are my questions.

1. Is it really that bad or are some of the horror stories just people who did not plan well?

2. If parks do close all the way the way to phase 4, being a resort guest with an ADR am I guaranteed entrance?

3. Is renting a car worth it. I like to be able to go at my own pace. I have done WDW transportation and honestly feel like I get to places faster driving my own car. My concern is the stories of cars back up in line miles long by 9am on most days this week.

4. Are there any good strategies for FP+ or how to tackle the parks. We will be there for 7 days and plan on spending 2 days in each park except for AK still only a 1/2 day park for me.

Please help a DF who wants to make this trip a happy memory and not a nightmare.

99-All Star Movies
02-Pop Century
05-Animal Kingdom Lodge
09-All Star Movies
14-Wilderness Lodge (Dec)

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-29-2014, 09:28 PM
As crazy as it will be, it will still be magical to at Disney at Christmas!

A couple quick thoughts:
1. It can be that bad. Some of it (of course) good planning can help, but with that many people, it will just be crazy. Interestingly though, recent years don't seem to have been quite as crazy as years earlier.

2. No. If there is a phase 4 closure, then the park is closed to everyone.

3. I'm usually a huge fan of renting a car at Disney, but this is a week that I would use Disney transport, since the parking lots often fill before the parks do, and you'll probably get around faster and easier on Disney transport.

4. In terms of FP+, I'd make a plan for each day, what park you're going to and STAYING at, especially for the days right on the holidays. Maybe book FP+ for mid-morning, then a TS lunch, so you're free to leave if it is indeed just crazy?

IloveJack
07-29-2014, 09:38 PM
We went the first week of December last year, and it was way more crowded than we are used to, even having gone many times in the summertime, and once the week of Thanksgiving. I told DH that I enjoyed the decorations, but didn't care to deal with those crowds again. We haven't been the week of Christmas itself, but our friends have and they said they fought the entire trip (along with many of the other guests around them) due to the high stress level of the crowds. I know we experienced much ruder guests in December than even in the heat of summer.
There is a blog called "The World According to Jack," he went the week of Christmas simply to post photographic evidence for the rest of us. Just Google the blog title and add Christmas, and you can see what it's like.
Not trying to deter you, I just don't think it's poor planning.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-30-2014, 08:46 AM
We've been during this week a couple of times and I can tell you it really does get that crowded and you need to plan ahead if you want to make the most of it.

You MUST get to the parks at opening time...I find the first hour the best time to ride those popular rides like Space, Splash and Big Thunder Mountains...Test Track and Soarin...Toy Story Mania and Rockin Roller coaster and Everest...ride one of these first thing, then grab a fast pass for one of the others and get in line for something else...after that the crowds start pouring in and lines will be insane. Now that there is FP+ I would use those for late morning and afternoon. Resist the urge to look in shops until you've riden the rides you want to get on. When the crowds get thick in the afternoon, its a better time to shop.

As far as eating goes, be sure to book your ADR's for TS ahead of time or don't be surprised to find everything full. For CS for lunch, I suggest eating early 1100 am or late 130-200pm...dinner 5pm or 8pm...

Definitely utilize Disney transportation it is more efficient than people give it credit for and you don't have to stress about traffic or parking spaces.

Take time to enjoy the holiday theming...take an afternoon and tour resorts to look at the decorations...my favorite is the Grand Floridian but the Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge and AKL are beautiful as well. I've also heard the Epcot resorts are beautifully decorated I just haven't checked them out. Don't miss Osbourne Spectacle of Lights or the Candlelight Processional.

You will have fun if you plan, just be prepared for the crowds.:mickey:

PopPhan
07-30-2014, 10:37 AM
2. If parks do close all the way the way to phase 4, being a resort guest with an ADR am I guaranteed entrance?

2. No. If there is a phase 4 closure, then the park is closed to everyone.

Silly question in this case.....IF you are shut out of the park in which you have an ADR, and it is one of those that charge a fee to hold the reservation, will you be charged for missing your ADR? I would assume that you would.

DDoftwo
07-30-2014, 12:00 PM
That's kind of my concern. If you are kept out of the parks and many of the ADR's require CC at booking, will we be charged?

Camden'smom
07-30-2014, 03:27 PM
We are going the 19-26 and I was wondering some of the same questions.

Katzateer
07-30-2014, 09:59 PM
We were at WDW Christmas Day one year. It was pouring down rain. We were on the monorail going to breakfast at Kona's and the entrance to the MK was backed up past the checkpoints for guests with bags. Parking lot was full and it looked crazy! We did not go into the park that day. Resort hopped, ate a great meal and had a very nice day. I can not imagine trying to navigate the parks on a holiday. Hope your trip works out to be fun.